SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:21 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Heli Help

I have been getting better with the Helis. How do I set the DX8 to "Idle Up" mode? Also how do I set the Gyro so I can change from "Heading Hold" to "Rate" mode.

Thanks
VP

PS Please dont scold me for not refering to the manual, I have, as usual it is vague and indistinct.
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:34 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,380 Posts
Refer to your Gyro manual for HH vs. Rate mode. It's based on the position of a channel - to one side the gain increases in HH mode, to the other it gains in Rate mode, and in the center it has 0 gain.

Idle Up is also Stunt 1.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:38 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Refer to your Gyro manual for HH vs. Rate mode. It's based on the position of a channel - to one side the gain increases in HH mode, to the other it gains in Rate mode, and in the center it has 0 gain.

Idle Up is also Stunt 1.

Andy
This doesnt address my question. I am looking through the DX8 manual as we speak and I found the section on Gyro, just not a section on "Idle Up" "Stunt 1" or whatever Jargon they call it.

VP
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:51 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,459 Posts
Pete

"Idleup" is what is also known as FM-1 or FM-2(Flightmode 1 or 2).Controlled by guess what? FMode. You go to FMode menu and assign a switch and then that switch controls mode changes.Then you go to Throttle Curve and Pitch Curve menus to set what your throttle and pitch will do in the different modes.You may also want to assign other functions such as dual rate,expo,gyro gain or others to the Fmode switch.

For the majority of Gyros HH mode will be values above(plus side) of center and Rate mode will be values below(minus side) of center.That is if the gyro has the gain controlled by a radio channel.Most but not all do.Read the documentation for your specific gyro.

No explanation would be complete without knowing how the trims work."Common" will carry the same trim across all modes(Normal,FM-1&FM-2).
Set to "FMode" the trims will be unique for each mode.

It might help if we knew what specifc heli you are flying and what equipment it is equipped with.The combinations are almost endless and the differences between them can be huge.In the future when you ask questions its important to give all equipment details to get the correct advise.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:53 PM
Joined Jan 2006
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I have been getting better with the Helis. How do I set the DX8 to "Idle Up" mode? Also how do I set the Gyro so I can change from "Heading Hold" to "Rate" mode.

Thanks
VP

PS Please dont scold me for not refering to the manual, I have, as usual it is vague and indistinct.
You set up "idle up" with "throttle curve'. Just press the roller and scroll down to it. You'll pick points on a graph to correspond with throttle stick position.

Gyro is simply under "Gyro".
Most guys I know use the up (switch) position for HH, down for rate.
You wil have to play around with the settings, as different manufacturers
use different values.
On my eflite Blade 450, HH is positive 53.
On my Trex 250 with a JR gyro, HH is positive 16.
On my Gaui 425, with Futaba 401 gyro, HH is Negative 66.
hondaflyer is offline Find More Posts by hondaflyer
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:53 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Mar 2011
73 Posts
Quote:
This doesnt address my question. I am looking through the DX8 manual as we speak and I found the section on Gyro, just not a section on "Idle Up" "Stunt 1" or whatever Jargon they call it.
VP
Quote:
Q. How do I set the DX8 to "Idle Up" mode? A. Idle Up is also Stunt 1.

Searching the pdf manual finds several hits for stunt 1. It appears to be one of the helicopter flight modes - I don't do helicopters (yet) so cant add any more to help

--
Allan
Allan_K is offline Find More Posts by Allan_K
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:10 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:

VP
What I am trying to do is set up my DX8 to work with the Phoenix simulator. I want to be able to fly upside down like everyone else, my understanding is that "Idle Up" is what makes the pitch of the rotors reverse. Apparently when advancing the throttle stick the rotors maintain a certain maximum speed while the rotors vary from negative to positive pitch.

VP
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:12 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_K View Post
Searching the pdf manual finds several hits for stunt 1. It appears to be one of the helicopter flight modes - I don't do helicopters (yet) so cant add any more to help

--
Allan
Yes I see how it is like a mystery, thanks for your help anyway.

VP
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:14 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Pete

"Idleup" is what is also known as FM-1 or FM-2(Flightmode 1 or 2).Controlled by guess what? FMode. You go to FMode menu and assign a switch and then that switch controls mode changes.Then you go to Throttle Curve and Pitch Curve menus to set what your throttle and pitch will do in the different modes.You may also want to assign other functions such as dual rate,expo,gyro gain or others to the Fmode switch.

For the majority of Gyros HH mode will be values above(plus side) of center and Rate mode will be values below(minus side) of center.That is if the gyro has the gain controlled by a radio channel.Most but not all do.Read the documentation for your specific gyro.

No explanation would be complete without knowing how the trims work."Common" will carry the same trim across all modes(Normal,FM-1&FM-2).
Set to "FMode" the trims will be unique for each mode.

It might help if we knew what specifc heli you are flying and what equipment it is equipped with.The combinations are almost endless and the differences between them can be huge.In the future when you ask questions its important to give all equipment details to get the correct advise.
Okay thanks, I will be getting the Blade 450 soon, that is what I have been flying on the Phoenix.

VP
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:18 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
I am confused by this from the manual:
Page 33
"Adjusting the Rate Values
Rotate the roller to select the desired gain value then press. Select the gain value. Any time a T displays, the gyro is in tail lock (Heading Lock). If an N displays, the gyro is in normal mode."

I dont see an N or a T displayed

VP
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:36 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,380 Posts
That's a manual error. No T or N is displayed - instead they are + and - (as noted above by aerocal).

Your best bet might be to ask for an SPM file on one of the Heli areas. Tell them what you're trying to do and see how they help.

"Idle Up" (typically all modes other than Normal) set your RPM to a fixed value (Throttle channle output) and the throttle stick changes to a Pitch stick. The motor will run at a fixed RPM (especially if you have Governor enabled in your model), and the throttle stick will only control Pitch.

Refer to the setup manual for your desired heli.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:38 PM
Joined Jan 2006
365 Posts
Quote:
I am confused by this from the manual:
Page 33
"Adjusting the Rate Values
Rotate the roller to select the desired gain value then press. Select the gain value. Any time a T displays, the gyro is in tail lock (Heading Lock). If an N displays, the gyro is in normal mode."

I dont see an N or a T displayed

VP
I think that was a misprint. Never have seen that in any screens.
If you get a Blade 450, you can download the setup from the Spektrum site.
All the pitch and throttle settings already done for you,
and includes an intermediate and advanced setup.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Jan 2006
365 Posts
VP,
If you want some specific info on your heli setups,
feel free to PM me.
Be glad to help.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:07 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,808 Posts
If you want to benifit from the features of your radio I suggest you start by downloading the SPM files that are offered for your specific heli. They are offered in advance and intermediate B450 (blade 450).
As for learning how and when to use specific heli features/programming you should visit local club to get hands info. Flight sim is also great place to learn since instead of hitting your wallet you can hit the reset button and get back in the air.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:22 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
I cant find the SPM Files on the Spektrum Community website. I have never been able to find them.

VP