SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:13 AM
Slipping the surly bonds...
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
A lipo is a lipo is a lipo, 8.4 Volts is 8.4 Volts!!!

For what's its worth double check that voltage on two or more meters.

My 2 cents.

MIke R
Mike,

I did check both lipos after charging each over night with the wall charger. In both cases, the blue charger light on the DX8 was off and both only charged to 8.4. When I checked them with a meter, one was 8.37 and one was 8.36. However, neither will work in my transmitter at that voltage. I tried discharging to 8.2 and it wouldn't work. Discharging to 7.9 under the load, resulted in a resting voltage of 8.1. At that level, both work in the transmitter. Perhaps the fault lies with the DX8. It is brand new. I have the system setting for a "Lipo" and the low voltage alarm set at 6.4. Kind of an annoyance to have to discharge before it will work. I haven't called HH as a thought they would probably say that they only will support a problem with the Spektrum 8.4 4000mah lipo designed for the DX8. (The Hobbyking one seems to be a 100% knock off). Just plugged the wall charger back in and it is charging. Will see what happens -- if this problem repeats itself.

Bill
summitbill is offline Find More Posts by summitbill
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:12 PM
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
The saga continues...

Put back into DX8 one of the Turnigy 4000 DX8 lipos that I had discharged to 8.0 vdc. Worked fine. Charged it up to 8.26 using the wall charger. Took maybe an hour. Transmitter screen just blinked on/off/on/off/etc... Wouldn't boot up, but looked like it was trying to do so. (At 8.4 volts, it would just flash quickly and stay black). Discharged to 8.1 volts and all is fine. If nobody else is having problems with these lipos in the DX8 at full charge, then I suggest it is the DX8. Called HH and, as suspected, they hadn't heard of this problem and could not really support it as it was not their lipo that I'm using. Guess I'll just charge them to 8.0, and if I forget to monitor and the xmitter charges them fully to 8.4v, I'll discharge back to 8.1.

If anyone else experiences this situation, I'd appreciate hearing that I'm not alone.

Freechip, thanks for the suggestion of trying the stock Spektrum lipo at 8.4. Next time I get to a fly-in, SEEF or Nall, I'll see if I can find someone with one and give it a try.

Thanks,

Bill
Last edited by summitbill; Nov 17, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:23 PM
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Thats the old way of accessing the calibration menu, now its down threw menu directly.
Hey Freechip,

I had to change modes from 2 to 1 to get the calibration screen. It is not in System Settings menu. Is there a software upgrade for the DX8 that I should know about? If so, how does one download it and update the xmitter?

Bill
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:41 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,753 Posts
Go here and register your transmitter:

https://community.spektrumrc.com/

Then you can see what updates and model files you can download.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:33 PM
Deutschland, Bayern, München
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
When we first started using it, it scared me seeing just how close I was skating to the "edge of the world" on some of my planes. I ended up spending a bunch to use better ESCs and servos, and then cleaned up my linkages.

Things I knew all along, but had gotten complacent with because you could on the old analog radios.

Andy
I still believe that my system is safe enough and that there is no reason for voltage drop. I've been busy flying with an alarm set on the reciever voltage. I did not get on single alarm during lots of flights, only once after landing my plane I noticed that the TM1000 had lost contact. The telemetry screen reported a voltage drop to 6.1 (8V BEC) but there was no alarm during flight. Maybe the TM100 or DX8 get confused with weakening telemetry signal strength?
tachy kard is offline Find More Posts by tachy kard
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:52 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,494 Posts
When I unplug a plane with the battery voltage telemetry set up, sometimes I get an alarm and sometimes not. It seems to be whether or not the DX8 senses the low voltage just before the signal is lost. Shouldn't the alarm always sound if the signal is lost?
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:59 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,044 Posts
No, the alarm only sounds when it gets a positive indication of the value, that is, a transmission with the correct data. Because data is sent in bursts with spaces between them, if the power fails completely between bursts then the transmitter will not hear about it. It's functioning correctly.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:03 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
No, the alarm only sounds when it gets a positive indication of the value, that is, a transmission with the correct data. Because data is sent in bursts with spaces between them, if the power fails completely between bursts then the transmitter will not hear about it. It's functioning correctly.

Andy
It is functioning correctly according to design. But it seems if there is no valid data then it should sound the alarm as well.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:53 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,102 Posts
So if you have a major battery failure or bec failure during flight, the plane is coming down and telemetry won't tell you crap.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:06 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
Regarding SummitBill's black out screen on 8.4 Volts....

What a load of XXXX on HH saying that since he dosen't have their lipo installed they can't help.

HH are you flippin serious?

I guess they figure unless we use there stuff we don't know what were doing.
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:27 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,102 Posts
If I install a turbo on my car that did not come with one but the manufacturer sells a turbo model. Do you think they would help me under warranty if I have engine problems with after market turbo?

HH's position that they can't help because it's not there pack is normal. With that response it simply confirms the importance about what I recommended he do. That is find a stock lipo and try it. If it still does the same then of course HH will be glad to help.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:28 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
If I install a turbo on my car that did not come with one but the manufacturer sells a turbo model. Do you think they would help me under warranty if I have engine problems with after market turbo?
Your analogy is flawed. He is not trying to alter the way that the radio operates. A car manufacturer would help if you had problems after changing the battery from the factory installed battery.

A charged 2S lipo is 8.4 volts. If the radio does not operate on 8.4v then there is something wrong. HH seems to be more interested in getting people to buy their overpriced (and perpetually backordered) lipo than actually helping with the problem. Hopefully, this is just the case of an inexperienced customer service rep.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:42 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,201 Posts
Don't want to argue this at all, but, I'll bet the farm that a stock lipo at 8.4 volts will do the same.

Just in case I didn't mention it before, 8.4 volts is 8.4 volts!
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:50 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
... Hopefully, this is just the case of an inexperienced customer service rep.
fully agree. Heck I had to use a small 800mah 2S lipo back when I got my DX8 because messing around with the radio I changed the battery setting without actualy having a lipo in there and then when the low voltage trigger I could no longer access the menu to change it back. I had to power it with a 2S lipo.

I did not have any issue, I think it's radio related and sucks for the owner if it is.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:25 AM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
I have three DX8's and all three are using the Turnigy Lipo's. All three right now are at 8.4 and working fine.
boatdoc is offline Find More Posts by boatdoc