SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:43 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts
I figured it out long time ago that if I can imagine it than it is most likely on the market somewhere.
Most of the telemetry wish list I see here is already available through many devices and stand alone systems (that I noticed are manufacturing? supplying? some of the Spektrum sensors)
What I would like to see is a RECORD DATA feature switch activated and deactivated, saved as file #001 next next next all numbered or named files recorded on demand.
I can see it now, written flight plan for spotter / caller to "call" at entry of each maneuver switch data record on, exit maneuver data record off, file saved as #001 corresponding with flight plan call list. On to the next planned maneuver #002 and so we fly and Analise.
Brian T.
GBRellic is offline Find More Posts by GBRellic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:50 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
Its real time data available right now while you fly. Logging is the capability to view data after an event.
I know what data logging is..
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
I dont see how anybody can look at the radio and fly a pogo at 120 mph flight line pass at the same time to view the real time data.I'd rather look at the log file to see how fast I went after I landed rather after I crash cuz I looked at my radio
Fully agree, but you can set alarm for critical conditions and so telemetry is VERY much usefull in its current state. To call it 95% useless because it lacks logging is a bit much. Unless he ment it was 95% useless to himself in its current state but he did not word it as such.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 09, 2011, 08:16 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
931 Posts
Good, Pete, we don't want to see you crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I would like to see as many telemetry options as possible. The way it is now though is quite usable. I monitor my Timer, Flight Pack Voltage, ESC Temperature, and RF signall all routinely every flight.

VP

PS Yes, I look at my Tx while flying.
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Old Nov 09, 2011, 08:18 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
931 Posts
For some of the things like altitude and airspeed, it needs to be logged. Adding logging feature is a day's worth of work for the programmers....they just need to get it done and stop delaying things for no reason. Again, it's a Management problem within Spektrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I know what data logging is.. Fully agree, but you can set alarm for critical conditions and so telemetry is VERY much usefull in its current state. To call it 95% useless because it lacks logging is a bit much. Unless he ment it was 95% useless to himself in its current state but he did not word it as such.
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Last edited by teryn1; Nov 09, 2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:34 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,618 Posts
Fully agree teryn1 but not any reason to call it useless (95% useless) right?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:10 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn1 View Post
For some of the things like altitude and airspeed, it needs to be logged. Adding logging feature is a day's worth of work for the programmers....they just need to get it done and stop delaying things for no reason. Again, it's a Management problem within Spektrum.
Actually, Teryn, it's not. When developing the telemetry system, logging was one of the very first things I implemented, even before the screens for the different sensors. The problem is that (in the DX7s/DX8) some telemetry records get dropped whenever the file system has to extend the file info in the directory record (ie, it writes multiple sectors in an allocation unit, then requests another allocation unit which takes several reads and a write). There is a "hiccup" you can feel.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:35 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
So its unlikely we will see logging in the dx8 then? I know you didn't say that but it just sounds like it.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:47 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,274 Posts
I won't say never, but I will say, "Don't hold your breath."

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:57 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
That's what I figured
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:31 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,692 Posts
Maybe an own, sector wise filesystem could help. Just an idea....

I think the DX10 has more RAM to buffer the data. Right ?
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:36 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
my local dealer changed the damaged dx8 rf board. still wont pass the range test..
will be sending it to HH UK
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:52 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Maybe an own, sector wise filesystem could help. Just an idea....
Gotta keep it a FAT file system so you can use it on the PC. We don't want to make a utility to run on your PC to access your files. We'll let our competitor do that.

Quote:
I think the DX10t has more RAM to buffer the data. Right ?
No, they're about the same in RAM and ROM.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:53 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:

Andy
Andy as you seem to be quite fourth coming, do you think we will see a current sensor this side of Christmas?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:12 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ok iknow this is well off topic but there are a lot of experienced guys in here and since I follow this thread I d like to ask about this radio
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20624
is this particular DSM2 one upgradable to DSM-X ? ? ? yes or no?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:32 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
883 Posts
Quote:
Actually, Teryn, it's not. When developing the telemetry system, logging was one of the very first things I implemented, even before the screens for the different sensors.
I imagine that this was done primarily to facilitate testing.

Quote:
The problem is that (in the DX7s/DX8) some telemetry records get dropped whenever the file system has to extend the file info in the directory record (ie, it writes multiple sectors in an allocation unit, then requests another allocation unit which takes several reads and a write). There is a "hiccup" you can feel.

Andy
If I am reading this correctly, it seems that your are writing the telemetry data in "real time". It seems that it it would make more sense buffer the data and perform periodic writes.

Quote:
There is a "hiccup" you can feel.
Do you main that telemetry data is lost since the file system is not ready OR that accessing the file system while the radio is in use (i.e. flying) causes latency. I guess I am not sure why you me by a hiccup that "you can feel".

Quote:

Andy
That is unfortunate. I would also be content with a module that plugs into the telemetry module and records to either internal memory a MicroSD card. Perhaps a external receiver that records telemetry data (not the STi since not everyone owns a compatible product).

Quote:
No, they're about the same in RAM and ROM.
So, if the DX10t gets logging then there is no "technical" reason that the DX8 can't support logging. Actually, this IS a feature that I would accept as being reserved for a higher end radio (it actual adds SIGNIFICANT value to the radio). HOWEVER, if there is no NON-TRAY DX10 you really can't expect people to significantly alter their flying techniques just to have access to some features.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42