SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:06 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachy kard View Post
Because this will be a DX10 feature and some guys at HH seem to believe that we will all go and buy a DX10 if we want this feature.
I will NEVER buy a DX10 (for differernt reasons), so if I will have to buy something new to get the features I want I have to buy something from another company. Would be a shame because I really like my DX8.
I have a suggestion for Andy, assuming the hardware can support it. Why not make paid firmware feature updates. It seems the firmware is linked to a specific TX. So, let people pay for the extra features they want. They can't be used on another TX. I would be willing to pay $50 for a data logging update for my DX8. This would be alot cheaper than buying a DX10.
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:12 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
How would you do a maH counter though? Its a capacity measurement and chargers just charge off if volts, I don't see how you could get a capacity measurement in mah.

Example, a 1300 and 2600 3s battery have different charged capacities when fully charged but have the same volts out when fully charged.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:16 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
How would you do a maH counter though? Its a capacity measurement and chargers just charge off if volts, I don't see how you could get a capacity measurement in mah.

Example, a 1300 and 2600 3s battery have different charged capacities when fully charged but have the same volts out when fully charged.
I think it is possilbe, my inline e-flight meter, can read volts, amps, mahs, and watts. it is connected inline (series/parallel) with the battery.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:17 AM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,180 Posts
Quote:

You need a current sensor for that. The current sensor measures amps ( or mA) and some more calculations and you get mAh out of that. mAh is not dependent on the voltage.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:17 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:

I think it is possible, my inline e-flight meter, can read volts, amps, mahs, and watts. It is connected inline (series/parallel) with the battery. It would be great if the telemetry could read all these parameters.
VP
Last edited by Victory Pete; Nov 09, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:22 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
I have a suggestion for Andy, assuming the hardware can support it. Why not make paid firmware feature updates. It seems the firmware is linked to a specific TX. So, let people pay for the extra features they want. They can't be used on another TX. I would be willing to pay $50 for a data logging update for my DX8. This would be alot cheaper than buying a DX10.
I have a feeling a lot of telemetry features are going to go into the sti dongle. I can see the advantages of it, the hardware software is way more powerfully then anything spectrum makes by probably an order if 1000. They have much more flexibility with this.

I honestly don't know what to think if it though. Telemetry is nice for warnings but what good is an airspeed sensor if you can't log it? It would just become a stall and do not exceed sensor.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:29 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
894 Posts
Cleearly, this stuff needs to be logged. It should have been done already (from the beginning). They have really dropped the ball on that.

Quote:
Telemetry is nice for warnings but what good is an airspeed sensor if you can't log it? It would just become a stall and do not exceed sensor.
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:29 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,252 Posts
Quote:

Pretty much every OSD system does this and shows the mah used.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:30 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn1 View Post
Cleearly, this stuff needs to be logged. It should have been done already (from the beginning).
Logging is clearly a major missing element, especially for the STi interface where it would be very simple to add.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:06 AM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn1 View Post
Cleearly, this stuff needs to be logged. It should have been done already (from the beginning). They have really dropped the ball on that.
Yep. What good is telemtry that you cannot view because you need to keep an eye on your plane and or need a 2nd person to view your screen while in flight. LOL
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:28 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Yep, pretty much same feeling here. I've lost all interest in the telemetry data the way it presently is. Nothing really worth using unless you want to view high/low values or get an alarm.

Without logging it's 95% useless. Even with a 2nd person it can still be useless because they can't see all the data but only what is currently on your DX8 (unless using the iphone).

Hitec really owns the market as far as telemetry goes on the low/medium priced radios.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Nov 09, 2011, 12:09 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
Without logging it's 95% useless.
Strongly disagree, yes its not the best it can be but certainly not useless as the telemetry can be set with alarms and all I need to know about the battery during flight is when my alarm is triggered and it's time to land. I don't care what the voltage is between the start of the flight and when it's time to land.

I can see why many want to have logging, heck I want it also but would never call the current telemetry 95% useless because it's lacking logging.

Some CC esc have Data logging so does this mean you consider every other esc useless?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 09, 2011, 01:11 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,656 Posts
I have a logging device on my Kontronik ESC (called JLOG). This does decent logging of all parameters you can imagine. When do I look in the logs ? After I crashed and when I do something power hungry.

The live telemetry of the DX8 is for me important to check strange behaviour. Voltage drops, antenna fades, overtemperature. I have set alarms on all important values, so I know what is wrong.

I would buy a DX10 (non tray). But no tray (even I am from Austria )
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Nov 09, 2011, 01:36 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
I would like to see as many telemetry options as possible. The way it is now though is quite usable. I monitor my Timer, Flight Pack Voltage, ESC Temperature, and RF signall all routinely every flight.

VP

PS Yes, I look at my Tx while flying.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 02:17 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Strongly disagree, yes its not the best it can be but certainly not useless as the telemetry can be set with alarms and all I need to know about the battery during flight is when my alarm is triggered and it's time to land. I don't care what the voltage is between the start of the flight and when it's time to land.

I can see why many want to have logging, heck I want it also but would never call the current telemetry 95% useless because it's lacking logging.

Some CC esc have Data logging so does this mean you consider every other esc useless?
Its real time data available right now while you fly. Logging is the capability to view data after an event.

I dont see how anybody can look at the radio and fly a pogo at 120 mph flight line pass at the same time to view the real time data.

I'd rather look at the log file to see how fast I went after I landed rather after I crash cuz I looked at my radio
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow