HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Oct 2007
5,991 Posts
Neither of mine has acted up
the calibrating is easy -if you use a light touch
The pots themself probably are not the problem -if there is a mechanical problem- the installation of pots and attached wiring may be real issue. Iwould not mes with it unless there is an obvious ,sudden change in pot operation oor a wild variation in center.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Last edited by richard hanson; Nov 05, 2011 at 07:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:41 PM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
Gerula asked how many recalls there were and I answered ZERO. There have been no recalls. ZERO, NONE. There have been a couple of service bulletins however. NOT THE SAME THING. We've been down this road before and just because you think it's the same thing does not make it the same thing. I'm not trying to downplay or be nice to HH by saying this but I like to keep issues like this straight. You can go to the HH website and read the service bulletins but you can't find any info on a recall. Call it semantics if you want with the wording but it's always been referred to as a service bulletin so that is what it is.

If you want to call it a recall then do me a favor and scan a copy of your recall notice you received in the mail with the request to return the product. If you don't have a recall notice then it's not a recall and should be called what it is a "service bulletin".
Speaking stricto senso you have a point here, but only because Horizon loves to hide behind words. Remember when people were asking on the mSR thread if Horizon is going to come out with a mSR2 with variable pitch (because the rumours were already out) and Andy Kunz came there and said in a very convincing manner that there is no mSR2 planned?
Guess what, about 6 months later the mcpx was coming out.

So yes, it wasn't caller mSR2, but does it really mean that Kunz wasn't actually telling a lie to the Horizon customers?

Same thing applies here, they didn't called it a recall, but it's a recall in anything other but name.
Gerula is offline Find More Posts by Gerula
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:03 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa4geg View Post
Did you get your TX back already? Purchase date? I just ordered a new DX8 and it will arrive in a few days. Think I'll burn it in on Phoenix for a few hours firstly to make sure everything is all right and etc.

What's the deal with the gimbals acting up? Is it a potentiometer(s) problem, wiring connector continuity issues, solder connections, or what? Anybody know?

-Byron
It's a connector issue. Mine came back hard-wired/soldered.
jtgmig is offline Find More Posts by jtgmig
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:12 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Neither of mine has acted up
the calibrating is easy -if you use a light touch
The pots themself probably are not the problem -if there is a mechanical problem- the installation of pots and attached wiring may be real issue. Iwould not mes with it unless there is an obvious ,sudden change in pot operation oor a wild variation in center.
How often do you think the DX8 should be inspected for zero drift and collateral movement between channels (throttle/rudder, aileron/elevator). Mine checked out fine on day and messed up the next.

I'm not trying to stir things up. I honestly feel that Spektrum isn't being proactive enough.

My DX8 is relative new. According to the sticker inside the battery compartment, my unit had previously be inspected by HH. Didn't do much good because you never know when the connector is going to losen up I guess.
jtgmig is offline Find More Posts by jtgmig
Old Nov 06, 2011, 05:16 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,591 Posts
I was all set to buy a DX8 yesterday, having read though this and other threads to get an idea of what I'm getting. Anyway, phoned the LHS and they are now refusing to sell their remaining stock because of all the problems that they say have been reported to them by their customers.

So, I don't know what to do now. This radio is perfect for my needs if it can be made reliable. Another shop a bit further away is still selling them and says this:

Quote:
We have seen and held this radio ... the quality and functions are superb .. so good that all the flyers in our shop will be switching over to this radio .. which mean's we can help with any set-up and change over questions . you may have.

Our 3rd shipment just ARRIVED, limited stock .. order yours now to ensure you dont miss out on this introductory offer from Horizon.
I just don't know which way to go and almost feel like tossing a coin!
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Nov 06, 2011, 05:44 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgmig View Post
How often do you think the DX8 should be inspected for zero drift and collateral movement between channels (throttle/rudder, aileron/elevator). Mine checked out fine on day and messed up the next.

I'm not trying to stir things up. I honestly feel that Spektrum isn't being proactive enough.

My DX8 is relative new. According to the sticker inside the battery compartment, my unit had previously be inspected by HH. Didn't do much good because you never know when the connector is going to losen up I guess.
Thanks for the info. on the "connector fix" as applied to your DX8. That is certainly something I can easily handle "in house" in my electronics shop. Hardwiring the gimbal leads to the encoder was actually common construction practice used in early R/C TXs' way back when... My 22+ year old ACE R/C Silver Seven TX (my sailplane radio; 53MHz) has hardwired gimbals from the get-go, and that TX is still working after all these years.

I will add that most "Molex style" connectors found in consumer electronics, especially those in R/C gear and Ham radio equipment frequenting my shop, have a pretty good reliability record, and often maintain working continuity for 10+ years w/o issues. The few failing connectors (due to connector mfg. defect) I've seen have generally began acting up within a relatively short time of the product being pressed into service.

And your observation is indeed correct. Connector continuity problems in "mission critical applications" of r/c are often illusive. Running the TX pot. mon. / cal. check prior to each r/c outing is good procedure, but not a perfect solution in the end.
-Byron
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Nov 06, 2011, 05:47 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Can't speak for the first hobby shop but it could have been that they had a set of radios in stock that should have been returned do to the service bulletin for the firmware update but didn't check them and instead of getting the radios fixed/replaced decided to sell them instead. If this was the case then I'm sure they did get grief from customers.

If you want to protect yourself some print out the service bulletins and take them with you to the 2nd store. Ask to check the PID of the radio against the bulletins. This way you know you are good to go from day one of your purchase.

Carlo

BTW, with any new shipment these should all be fine but it doesn't hurt to ask. Also just for comment "3rd shipment" does not seem like a lot since this radio has been out for a long time.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Nov 06, 2011, 05:50 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
I was all set to buy a DX8 yesterday, having read though this and other threads to get an idea of what I'm getting. Anyway, phoned the LHS and they are now refusing to sell their remaining stock because of all the problems that they say have been reported to them by their customers.

So, I don't know what to do now. This radio is perfect for my needs if it can be made reliable. Another shop a bit further away is still selling them and says this:

Buy directly from Horizon Hobby and make sure you will get a V2.02. It will have all the recent upgrades. I have a V 2.02 and had no problems. (Except one)
Good luck

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:19 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Buy directly from Horizon Hobby and make sure you will get a V2.02. It will have all the recent upgrades. I have a V 2.02 and had no problems. (Except one)
Good luck
VP
You can't buy direct from HH in the UK. What was your one problem, btw?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:23 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
You can't buy direct from HH in the UK. What was your one problem, btw?
Well, make sure the one you buy is V2.02. Ask the store owner if you can check it out first. This is my issue: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1474483

Good luck

VP
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:31 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
Can't speak for the first hobby shop but it could have been that they had a set of radios in stock that should have been returned do to the service bulletin for the firmware update but didn't check them and instead of getting the radios fixed/replaced decided to sell them instead. If this was the case then I'm sure they did get grief from customers.

If you want to protect yourself some print out the service bulletins and take them with you to the 2nd store. Ask to check the PID of the radio against the bulletins. This way you know you are good to go from day one of your purchase.

Carlo

BTW, with any new shipment these should all be fine but it doesn't hurt to ask. Also just for comment "3rd shipment" does not seem like a lot since this radio has been out for a long time.
The original shop owner said that his customers were still having lockouts even after the latest software update.

The 2nd shop say this on their website:
Quote:
** SPEKTRUM DX8 Tx VERY LATEST MODEL NOW DSMX ENABLED VERSION 2.01 **
Anyway, I'll call them tomorrow. At least they seem to be confident enough to use the DX8 themselves. TBH, the first shop is a bit 'old school' in their thinking.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:38 AM
Joined May 2010
76 Posts
I love this pic of the DX10t, my wife thinks the radio is only $160.
K5054 is offline Find More Posts by K5054
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:39 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,271 Posts
Quote:

What model shop was that? I'm pretty happy with mine although it has had its issues, but now most are sorted.. For the price it's a good radio..
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:39 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5054 View Post
Is that yours? Your wife is "Wise"!

VP
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:40 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5054 View Post
Good thing she doesn't know what Google is.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars