HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:56 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,111 Posts
sorry for confusing you, I was hoping they might come out with a stand alone telemetry system as well that you could plug into a spare channel of your rx that doesn't have a data port.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shooting my AR pistol
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:25 PM
myp
Joined Oct 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
23rd of June huh? Wonder if that date sticks. Also wonder how much they want for this?
The German site a few pages back listed the DX8 for Euro 339 which is US $460. For comparison, the same site listed the DX7 with 4 DS821 servos for Euro 249 which is US $338. So that gives an idea of how much it might actually cost here.

However, if you have to buy the telemetry module in order to use the telemetry feature, that adds another Euro 50 which is US $68.
myp is offline Find More Posts by myp
Last edited by myp; Apr 12, 2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: It looks like Euro 249 for DX7 does include the AR7000 receiver.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:30 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
sorry for confusing you, I was hoping they might come out with a stand alone telemetry system as well that you could plug into a spare channel of your rx that doesn't have a data port.
So you would want it to plug into a servo channel in order to power the telemetry module. That makes sense.

The data port on the Spektrum receivers, for those that have it, is going OUT from the receiver, typically to a Flight Log module so you can see the antenna operation. It isn't data going into the receiver.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:05 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
So you would want it to plug into a servo channel in order to power the telemetry module.
yup. As I have really no experience with real time telemetry so I am used to butchering the wires off of nitro trucks and hooking them into the onboard battery. I have no experience with planes....yet.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shooting my AR pistol
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:26 PM
Joined May 2008
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94 View Post
Thanks for the info!

I wonder if it will be available to ship over here, given all the FCC restrictions and whatnot. I mean, if someone really wants one, they'll find a way to get one. But whether it's "allowed" over here remains a whole different story.

I could be mistaken, though.
Hi,

I'm really not an expert on US regulations, but I suppose that whatever is OK for us here in Europe, should be fine for you there in US. European standards are more strict as regards signal emmissions.
Here's the thing. I have DX6i. I am pretty sure it's the same unit whether bought in US or in Europe. The emission strength is set by sofware - i.e. I need to set it to A-EU 328. In US I suppose you have it set to B-US 247, but I guess that's just becuase it gives you longer distance. Otherwise I suppose you can set it to any of these settings...
Anyway, if you want to be sure, just write/call to HorizonHobby and say that you have DX6i and if it's OK if you have the power settings set to A-EU 328. If they reply yes, then you should be fine with DX8 and/or DX10 since these will apparently have EU settings. So it should be OK, perhaps just with less power. But even with European power settings it is more than fine for at least 700-1000 meters, which should be sufficient.

And then it just a matter of ordering from Europe - just pick a shop that is in language you like and that should be it.
naily is offline Find More Posts by naily
Old Apr 19, 2010, 03:49 AM
Victoria, Canada
Joined Feb 2009
158 Posts
As I posted here, I think we have some pretty good evidence that the DX8 is coming to North America, so no need to worry about ordering from Europe. All you need is patience...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1228508
ragamofyn is offline Find More Posts by ragamofyn
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:51 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,910 Posts
The DX10 shows a release date of around August.

Preis steht noch nicht fest! Voraussichtlich LIEFERBAR ab August 2010

Translated: Price is not fixed yet! AVAILABLE expected from August 2010

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:59 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
The 10T is not going to be sold in the USA------that really isn't news but some may have missed it.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:27 AM
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
G'day
I reckon that the DX7 will be phased out PDQ, or as soon as HH sell their existing stock, except perhaps for the SE version, which will probably hang on a little longer, and will then be replaced with the DX8, probably for quite a few more dollars.
I have a DX6i and is currently used in the simple o/d e-sailplanes I now fly, in which I actually only need three flight surface controls rudder/elev plus flaps - the flaps driven by one servo - plus the motor, a total of 4 channels. If I did decide to go in for ailerons, I will still have enough for individual control of two aileron servos, to include crow mixing, or spoilerons.
So unless, when it's eventually released, or even comes to Oz, and if it does it probably won't be 'til next year, knowing how our importers of 2.4Ghz gear have to jump through hoops with ACMA, our FCC equivalent, to get that little exclusive to Oz, C-tick compliance sticker.
So unless my DX6i falls in a heap, and the DX8 is a huge improvement, and worth a large wad of extra dollars, I can't really justify upgrading, and will buy the latest version of the DX6i.
At least the Spektrum DSM2 electronics are bomb-proof, or have been so far, just make sure you have enough juice in your LiPo or RX battery, and use Sanyo Eneloops AAs in the Tx with 4 spares in your flight box, which you'll never need, 'cos they're there.
Just my 5cents worth.
Daffy
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:15 PM
USA, GA, Norcross
Joined Jul 2009
333 Posts
DX8 just gives them a higher end radio. Don't see them getting rid of the DX7 because of it though. They do still have the DX6i and DX5 radios...
robtest is offline Find More Posts by robtest
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:12 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
I'd agree. The DX7 is their bread and butter. If it ain't broke...
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Apr 22, 2010, 03:38 AM
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
Hmmmm ... we'll see...

Quite obviously the DX7 has a lot of dedicated devotees, but it is based on quite an old, relatively speaking, 72 Mhz Tx ... (36Mhz here in Oz) ... The DX8 would surely have newer and presumably better technology, and be an upgrade from the very similarly styled DX6i.
Just another 5cents worth.

Daffy.
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:29 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,311 Posts
It's all just speculation, but I too think we will see the eventual phase out of the DX7. If the DX8 is in the same price ball park ~60-100 bucks, only the people who care about looks would end up buying it. I've personally held off on buying a DX7 and went for a DX6i because the DX7 is converted old school tech and not spektrum from the ground up.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:04 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,400 Posts
I am on the waiting list for the DX8 at a local dealer who is one of the main retail (but not the biggest) RC dealers in Germany. I didn't choose the DX8 because of looks. Nor because of feel.

My main reasons (in basically this order):

1. Customer Support
2. Customer Product Satisfaction (also relevant in #1)
3. Ability to Change Signal Output
4. Good Receiver Assortment
5. DSM2 Technology

If I bought a radio only based on looks, I wouldn't buy Spektrum; if I bought for feel, I would buy something like a JR9503 or a Sanwa (Airtronics) RD8000.

To me the JR/Spektrm, Futaba and Sanwa radio technology are all just fine. But Spektrum was the first and they have capitalized on this with a nice flair. Since then they appear to have the broadest customer base. Problems have occurred, but nearly without fail Spektrum has been on top of any troubles and taken care of its customers; you cannot say the same for Futaba. Airtronics is good stuff, too, and I have an older RD6000 (72Mhz) that I really love, but the RD8000 has a few minor functionality limitations that are better addressed in JR/Spektrum. (Although these limitations would also not exist in Futaba, either.)
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Frolik View Post
I am on the waiting list for the DX8 at a local dealer who is one of the main retail (but not the biggest) RC dealers in Germany. I didn't choose the DX8 because of looks. Nor because of feel.

My main reasons (in basically this order):

1. Customer Support
2. Customer Product Satisfaction (also relevant in #1)
3. Ability to Change Signal Output
4. Good Receiver Assortment
5. DSM2 Technology

If I bought a radio only based on looks, I wouldn't buy Spektrum; if I bought for feel, I would buy something like a JR9503 or a Sanwa (Airtronics) RD8000.

To me the JR/Spektrm, Futaba and Sanwa radio technology are all just fine. But Spektrum was the first and they have capitalized on this with a nice flair. Since then they appear to have the broadest customer base. Problems have occurred, but nearly without fail Spektrum has been on top of any troubles and taken care of its customers; you cannot say the same for Futaba. Airtronics is good stuff
if you compare the 9503 it uses the same technology seeing as JR owns Spektrum,

but yea i agree futaba, although good rip you on receiver prices
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)