HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
It probably could, but I want the throttle hold switch to have 2 values assigned to it dependant on some other switch that could toggle the two values. Any sort of programming options that could do this in the DX8? The main goal here is to use the familiar throttle hold switch to accomplish this
Throttle Hold is different than the Throttle Cut function.

With a fuel heli, you can configure the Throttle Hold to keep the engine running but with very little power output (blades should almost stop rotating). You configure Throttle Cut to close the carb completely (and turn off the ignition, if it has one).

You can do a similar thing with an electric, but I wouldn't recommend having a low-power setting.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:26 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
We don't publish release dates.

Andy
LOL We dont either. Like making a promise with software is a good thing, you miss the RTM date and then everybodys pissed why they dont have the latest and greatest
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:28 PM
Champagne Supernova
Joined Jul 2010
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Is there any info on when 2.03 is being corrected and pushlised (bugfree)?
It will never bee bug free. Too complex and too many lines of code that can conflict with another line of code somewhere else. The best u can do is get it real lean and test and test and test again
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:10 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
How about the Heathkit. You built not only the transmitter, but the receiver and each servo from individual components.

I built one of these with four channels: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402421

and one of these with eight channels:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102931
Brings back memories!
jtgmig is offline Find More Posts by jtgmig
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb47 View Post
This is very off topic, but Heathkit just announced they are returning to the kit market. They don't have any RC kits yet, but you could try to talk them into it. They are actually soliciting suggestions for new kits.

This is off topic so don't reply here. Go to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1506894 if you'd like to reply.
Cool!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Todd View Post
Whoa! There are some memories. Good references guys.

The green Cirrus is on purple/white (72.320). It was the one I first did Helicopter aerobatics with. The two channel is similar to 'jtgmig' only two channels. I flew gliders with it.

I found the Heathkit at a yard sale in about 1993 for something like $10 with a receiver and 3 servos. I had trained a college friend on one just like it many years before. I bought it and flew it in a trainer once just for old time sake.

The orbit was given to me. I flew a pattern plane on a loaner just like it for a few contests in about 1983.

I never flew this Kraft but I flew one just like it on Guam in a Tri-Squire in 1975.

The Testors is a one channel galloping ghost style. I saw the airplane for it in a box in the attic a few years ago.

Some of these were give to me while I owned a Hobby Shop. I only accepted ones I had flown before. So about half of my collection came from friends.

These are a long way from a DX8! No features. Just servos that moved (if you were lucky).
My first radio was purple/white (72.320) also.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:34 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,865 Posts
STi Telemetry Interface [SPMTR1000]

Hey, Andy thought I would drop in and ask if you know anything about the STi Telemetry Interface? I ordered and paid for one back in April from the local distributorship with an ETA of mid May.

I see it now has November ETA on the Spektrum site!

Is there some issue with this gadget - it seems a simple enough device?

Thanks, John
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:35 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
It probably could, but I want the throttle hold switch to have 2 values assigned to it dependant on some other switch that could toggle the two values. Any sort of programming options that could do this in the DX8? The main goal here is to use the familiar throttle hold switch to accomplish this
Then use throttle cut. Set throttle cut to (about) 29%, should be 0% in real, and throttle hold to your bailout rpm. Then you have also a different gyro sensitivity (if you use F-Mode for sensitivity/bank switching) and pitch curve for AR. And you can shut the engine off with cut and AR with hold. I have both set to 0% trottle, but if I get a helijive I can do it so also. Please notice that the switch selection for Hold/Cut is limited with software 2.01, but for helis you can use 2.03 without problems (have it on my DX8 since the release). With 2.03 the switch selection is more flexible
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:05 AM
Foam shredder
The land of fjords
Joined Sep 2010
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Is there any info on when 2.03 is being corrected and pushlised (bugfree)?
From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug (for what it's worth):

"..., it is often considered impossible to write completely bug-free software of any real complexity. ...
NASA's SATC managed to reduce the number of errors to fewer than 0.1 per 1000 lines of code (SLOC) but this was not felt to be feasible for any real world projects..."
HallaBalla is offline Find More Posts by HallaBalla
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:38 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
I asked Andy about it while back about having Airware versions corrected example: 2.03A or B and I believe his answer was they did not and would not re-release the same version simply corrected. That I think would be one way to reduce the programming issues because the current method of having to wait for 2.04 or higher to come out to fix the 2.03 issues will only result in having other possible issues since he has said before then never wanted to release a bug correction only version but always release with little added features.

Once they have ID issues like they have with 2.03 since its posted on the community website warning users, then should update the version so people could re-download the fix version.

But this method may have a negative impact where users would refrain from getting the new version in fear of issues and this would reduce the number of real world users testing the version out for them.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:42 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,338 Posts
The amount of time to release fixes for known issues and the recent move to release "beta" versions of the firmware speaks volumes as to how poorly they are managing all this IMHO. Between the lack of SPM files for their own products and slowness in releasing fixes for the firmware I'm a bit disappointed, considering how they hyped these "features".
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:49 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
As for lack of SPM files my opinion is I dont care for it, I rather do my own programming. If they release them for new planes that come out after the DX8 was release then thats ok i guess. To expect them to release SPM file for birds already out there , I rather the guys work on something else then spend time putting out SPM files.

As for releasing BETA then they are not the only ones doing it, my fav ESC manufacturer does it all the time with there ESC's that could bring down my planes if they have issues.

But they also release correction only versions of the update. When I asked Andy about it long time ago and his reponse was they would always release new features and never a correction only update I thaught this was great since we would always have something new to look forward to.

But now having experience all this little issues, I kinda wish they would release a correction only. They release a version, people use it a report an issue, they investigate, find and fix and re-release a update of that version. Its simple I think but programming isn't my cup of tea so I could be way off about it being simple..
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:52 AM
Champagne Supernova
Joined Jul 2010
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
The amount of time to release fixes for known issues and the recent move to release "beta" versions of the firmware speaks volumes as to how poorly they are managing all this IMHO. Between the lack of SPM files for their own products and slowness in releasing fixes for the firmware I'm a bit disappointed, considering how they hyped these "features".
They have too much on their plate obviously and can only spoon feed everybody. Im sure staffing is tight just like everybody else. Alot depends on the nature of the issue, We dont like to use the term (bug). High, Med or Low priority determines how fast another RTM comes along or a patch is released etc.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:11 AM
Champagne Supernova
Joined Jul 2010
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
As for lack of SPM files my opinion is I dont care for it, I rather do my own programming. If they release them for new planes that come out after the DX8 was release then thats ok i guess. To expect them to release SPM file for birds already out there , I rather the guys work on something else then spend time putting out SPM files.

As for releasing BETA then they are not the only ones doing it, my fav ESC manufacturer does it all the time with there ESC's that could bring down my planes if they have issues.

But they also release correction only versions of the update. When I asked Andy about it long time ago and his reponse was they would always release new features and never a correction only update I thaught this was great since we would always have something new to look forward to.

But now having experience all this little issues, I kinda wish they would release a correction only. They release a version, people use it a report an issue, they investigate, find and fix and re-release a update of that version. Its simple I think but programming isn't my cup of tea so I could be way off about it being simple..
Yep that would be called a patch instead of a release. I would think they would release a patch to resolve a serious issue and not wait for a full release.

It all depends on the severity of the issue. High, Med or Low. If there is a high priority issue that can be solved with a patch release and a full RTM is months away then they should do it.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:25 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
Yes patch, thanks for that word.