SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:25 AM
Moncho
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
121 Posts
Ordered a Dx8 last pm... promo code above works great!!!
Moncho is offline Find More Posts by Moncho
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:07 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
I received this promo code in my e-mail, itīs valid until September 15, 2010. Use it (Promo Code: STF1033C4A) at checkout. It works, 10% off.
Good luck
Do you have a link so I can see the details?
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:51 AM
FW190
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
Joined Jun 2008
86 Posts
Todd's Hobbies has it for $365
http://www.toddsmodels.com/SPM8800_D..._p/spm8800.htm
TigerI is offline Find More Posts by TigerI
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:18 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerI View Post
It is listed at the MAP price of $429.99.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:21 AM
FW190
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
Joined Jun 2008
86 Posts
Register on Todd's site & its $365. I just added one to my cart for that price.
TigerI is offline Find More Posts by TigerI
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:18 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelling View Post
Andy,

Just curious about model memory on the dx8. The SD card doesn't really expand model memory slots, it's fixed at 30, right, no matter what size card you use?

Also, if you move a model to the sd card, and then back to the radio, do you have to re-bind? Basically I need about 40 to 45 slots with all the stuff I have and want to do this as easy as possible. I have helis and planes ranging from bind and fly to trex 500 helis and EPP 3d planes. What's the easiest way to do this cleanly?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Actually, you DO get more model memories with the SD card...you get 30 on board the radio without the SD card and effectively unlimited with the card n place.

Clipped right fromt he Spektrum web page on the DX8:

Quote:
Save More Models to Memory!. The DX8 has enough on-board memory for up to 30 models before you even need to think about using the SDI. But with the SDI, memory for thousands of models could be stored on the SD card or transferred to a PC hard drive for backup.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:32 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,304 Posts
That still dosn't answer the question that was asked. With an SD card, Do you get model's 31-99999 or do you have to "swap" the models on the sd card for the ones in memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Actually, you DO get more model memories with the SD card...you get 30 on board the radio without the SD card and effectively unlimited with the card n place.

creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:53 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
That still dosn't answer the question that was asked. With an SD card, Do you get model's 31-99999 or do you have to "swap" the models on the sd card for the ones in memory?
The DX8 supports Model Match of 30 models. The Model Match information is not transferred to the SD card. The SD card is intended to provide long-term storage for model configurations, to allow you to back them up on a PC, and to allow you to share configurations with your friends and their DX8s.

For instance, I have 27 models in my DX8. All except 2 are "outdoor" models. I also have a set of indoor models for winter flying. In a few weeks I will move my summer models to SD and load my winter models to replace them. I'll bind the winter models, fly all winter, then in the spring reload my summer models and re-bind.

The way we did the SD file names, you can export all models with one click, swap SD cards (or change to a different folder), and import all the models in there with another click. If you don't rename models, they will go back to the same model number they had previously.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:59 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The way we did the SD file names, you can export all models with one click, swap SD cards (or change to a different folder), and import all the models in there with another click. If you don't rename models, they will go back to the same model number they had previously.

Andy
Since they keep the same model number in the Tx, that means the receivers don't have to be rebound, correct?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:00 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
That's a little disappointing, not a deal breaker tho.. On my Futaba I have a campac for extra models and the TX just see that as an extension so it's seamless as if the tx had more physical model memory
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:03 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,304 Posts
Thank you Andy, That was a clear and informative explanation of how it works. I guess we'll be limited to only bringing 30 planes to the field at once.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:21 PM
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post

I don't think this is correct. I think the sd card only provides space to "swap" models in an out of the 30 slots, it doesn't increase the number of slots. And when you swap a model back into one of the radios 30 main slots, you have to rebind. Not a problem, but want to be sure I have stated it correctly.
jkelling is offline Find More Posts by jkelling
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:55 PM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Andy, That was a clear and informative explanation of how it works. I guess we'll be limited to only bringing 30 planes to the field at once.
This will be a major problem for sure!
But im more worried about time here...how will i manage to squeeze in 30 x 10min of flying time in one session? Thats 5hrs of constant flying, and then i have only flown my 30 models once...Hmmm
And what about space? Ill need a truck to haul all of my gassers to the field! Damn You Spektrum!

Andy, now that i have this much model memory, have You guys thought of any solutions to the problems your giving us!?!

Ahh its DSM2, so they will probably just crash due to "lock outs" anyways. Guess the problem will take care of itself
IMAC_Sweden is offline Find More Posts by IMAC_Sweden
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:13 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Since they keep the same model number in the Tx, that means the receivers don't have to be rebound, correct?
During binding, the transmitter learns what type of receiver it is talking to. If you have different types of receivers in the two planes on the same model number, you need to rebind.

It's always safest to re-bind, just to make sure.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:14 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,111 Posts
Quote:
The most I can fit in my cars is about 20. It was fun to show up at a fun fly last year and have more models (big and small) in my Hyundai Accent than most guys had in their pickups and vans

Andy
Site Sponsor