Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:45 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,686 Posts
New video up from HH

Horizonhobby.com Preview - Spektrum DX8 (9 min 25 sec)
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:51 PM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I thought FM R/C was complicated!
VP
Pete,

To put it extreeemely simple,
DSM2 (Spektrum) is DSSS, Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum.
Direct as in using one channel to send and recieve data on the 2,4Ghz band with one backup channel.

All the others, FASST (Futaba), AFHSS (Hitec), FHSS (Sanwa/Airtronics), and more, are variants of the most commonly used spread spectrum technology called FHSS, Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum.

DSSS and FHSS are just different flavours of the same thing.
Both work just fine.
(All the major RC radio companies different variants works fine, and dont beleave all the BS saying they dont)

This 2,4 Ghz spread spectrum technology is nothing related to the RC industry. Its been used for a long time before that in a variety of applications.
Also its not very complicated this days.
Whats complicated is to make it robust AND cheap!
This is why the 2,4Ghz band is called the ISM band, Industrial, Scientific & Medical. Its used for wireless networks, secure communication, phones, GPS, Military applications, Bluetooth...and the list goes on.

Since Spektrum choose the more technically advanced route of developing DSM2 on DSSS, and the rest of the RC industry uses variants of FHSS, its become popular for users of these systems to pick on Spektrum and DSM2 saying that the DSSS based DSM2 is not as god. (Since they are the majority).
The same people are probably using or have used or benefitted from other DSSS applications without even knowing it...

Like always when new technology is introduced regardless of field, its easy to blame it for everything that goes wrong.

When gas engines became popular in RC planes, lots and lots of "unexplainable" crasches was all of a sudden due to interference from the ignition modules...

Now, its due to "lock outs"...
IMAC_Sweden is offline Find More Posts by IMAC_Sweden
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:33 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAC_Sweden View Post
Pete,

To put it extreeemely simple,
DSM2 (Spektrum) is DSSS, Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum.
Direct as in using one channel to send and recieve data on the 2,4Ghz band with one backup channel.

All the others, FASST (Futaba), AFHSS (Hitec), FHSS (Sanwa/Airtronics), and more, are variants of the most commonly used spread spectrum technology called FHSS, Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum.

DSSS and FHSS are just different flavours of the same thing.
Both work just fine.
(All the major RC radio companies different variants works fine, and dont beleave all the BS saying they dont)

This 2,4 Ghz spread spectrum technology is nothing related to the RC industry. Its been used for a long time before that in a variety of applications.
Also its not very complicated this days.
Whats complicated is to make it robust AND cheap!
This is why the 2,4Ghz band is called the ISM band, Industrial, Scientific & Medical. Its used for wireless networks, secure communication, phones, GPS, Military applications, Bluetooth...and the list goes on.

Since Spektrum choose the more technically advanced route of developing DSM2 on DSSS, and the rest of the RC industry uses variants of FHSS, its become popular for users of these systems to pick on Spektrum and DSM2 saying that the DSSS based DSM2 is not as god. (Since they are the majority).
The same people are probably using or have used or benefitted from other DSSS applications without even knowing it...

Like always when new technology is introduced regardless of field, its easy to blame it for everything that goes wrong.

When gas engines became popular in RC planes, lots and lots of "unexplainable" crasches was all of a sudden due to interference from the ignition modules...

Now, its due to "lock outs"...
Are all these 2.4Ghz? Wasnt Spektrum the pioneer in 2.4Ghz? Or just DSM?
Thanks
VP
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:44 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,338 Posts
Spektrum pioneered the application of 2.4gHz to model control on a commercial scale.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:46 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Spektrum pioneered the application of 2.4gHz to model control on a commercial scale.

Andy
Hi Andy
Does Horizon own Spektrum?
VP
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:48 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,338 Posts
Yes.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2010, 08:13 PM
Pants on the ground
exit 26 Jersey
Joined Jul 2007
6,219 Posts
I've owned a dx7 a Jr 9303 and a 9503 I had 14 planes on spektrum, I love the bind and fly convenience, never had a single issue at my club field, but have had several issues at seff and Joe Nall, there was so many spektrum issues at seff this year that, there will be impounding of radios next year because of it, a Huge step backwards, seff after a detail talk with HH reps decided that a safe number of spektrum based radios to be on is 30, yet no limit on the other mfg's system of fhss. I believe that there is enough real world data to say at large events there are known issues with dsm2. I never had a problem at my field, but the large events there are quite a few of us having issues. I would respect HH more if they would just come clean! I was very excited about the dx8 till Seff this year and my jet locked out on me, funny thing is I never had a problem before or since, last year my piper cub went in. This year I had two seperate planes with issues, saw many unexplained crashes. Love spektrum but only at my local field!
xsubsailor is offline Find More Posts by xsubsailor
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:37 PM
Joined Aug 2006
142 Posts
It's interesting that people believe, and manufacturers imply, that frequency hopping turns RF into a limitless resource.
Steel Butcher is offline Find More Posts by Steel Butcher
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:20 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Are all these 2.4Ghz? Wasnt Spektrum the pioneer in 2.4Ghz? Or just DSM?
Thanks
VP
No that was probably Nikola Tesla who filed the first frequency hopping patent in 1903. That was for a military application and the military has been using spread spectrum for a long time. It started showing up outside the military in the 80s. For some reason it took a long time to get to RC.

Well, by RC I mean civilian RC. Telsa's patent was for a remote controlled military submarine.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:46 PM
Never stop
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Butcher View Post
It's interesting that people believe, and manufacturers imply, that frequency hopping turns RF into a limitless resource.
Not limitless, but a higher limit. It's about physics and fact.
Left_Drift is offline Find More Posts by Left_Drift
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:51 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,173 Posts
That is claimend but not proved. I have never seen 100 FHSS T28 in the air at the same time.
What happen when FHSS hop from occupied to occupied channel?
Kambalunga is online now Find More Posts by Kambalunga