SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:33 AM
Never stop
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo56 View Post
Sure, let me just dish out a grand for a radio I don't really need and it has the features that would have been easily implemented in a "cheaper" radio. Great thinking.
I would understand if it there was a hardware limitation, but limiting the firmware just because you can (marketing) is a big no no for me.

Firmwares should be open. I'd love to see a huge community with a bunch of different firmwares for the same radio so you could choose witch one suites you best (like I do with my phone). I seriously doubt we're gonna see that in the near future though.
Firmware should not be open. Nothing should be open. It's about making money and not about charity.

I rather HH design and support high quality firmware (like Apple) as oppose to downloading some hack version from who knows who on the net.
Left_Drift is offline Find More Posts by Left_Drift
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:50 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left_Drift View Post
Firmware should not be open. Nothing should be open. It's about making money and not about charity.

I rather HH design and support high quality firmware (like Apple) as oppose to downloading some hack version from who knows who on the net.
We're getting way off topic here.
Nothing should be open?
I've been using open source software for over a decade now and have nothing but praises for it (Linux, Open Office, Firefox, Android,...).
If you think proprietary software is the way to go, go ahead, but don't trash oss, just because you have no experience with it.
And just because it's open doesn't mean it's free, get your facts straight.

edit: btw I'm a software developer myself so if anyone should be concerned about oss "stealing" money from hard working developers it should be me (and I'm not).
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Last edited by mongo56; Sep 06, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:59 AM
Never stop
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo56 View Post
We're getting way off topic here.
Nothing should be open?
I've been using open source software for over a decade now and have nothing but praises for it (Linux, Open Office, Firefox, Android,...).
If you think proprietary software is the way to go, go ahead, but don't trash oss, just because you have no experience with it.
And just because it's open doesn't mean it's free, get your facts straight.
Good for you using OSS. Don't get into personal attacks and act tough over the internet. Learn to read and debate first if you are going to come off strong. I never said OSS is free...

It has taken more than a decade to make any of the OSS you list to become even remotely usable. Imagine how many planes and helis will be lost until some dumb ass who thinks he can write software fixes the firmware???

The problem with software is that any hack who can write an app and sell it for $1 thinks they know how to design a robust system. Software has been devalued over the years.
Left_Drift is offline Find More Posts by Left_Drift
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:04 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,775 Posts
Due to be at my LHS on the 12th
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:06 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
As it turns out there is a very active set of developers working on OSS firmware on a low-cost 9ch platform right now. It is very early days (just a month or two into the projects) and certainly they are far from bug-free or suitable for general use. However, the progress has been remarkable, there are lots of clever features that will appeal to certain classes of users and overall it has shown what is possible when the door is opened.

I don't expect any of the major brands to ever go down the OSS route but gee it would be real nice if their hardware could be open enough to let hobby folk be hobby folk and develop and use their own firmware at their own risk.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:15 AM
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left_Drift View Post
Good for you using OSS. Don't get into personal attacks and act tough over the internet. Learn to read and debate first if you are going to come off strong. I never said OSS is free...

It has taken more than a decade to make any of the OSS you list to become even remotely usable. Imagine how many planes and helis will be lost until some dumb ass who thinks he can write software fixes the firmware???

The problem with software is that any hack who can write an app and sell it for $1 thinks they know how to design a robust system. Software has been devalued over the years.
It was never my intention to offend you in any way, I hope you can accept my sincere apologies. Let's leave this debate to another thread/day please.

Back to the topic:
Did anyone figure out the biggest LiPo we can fit in this thing?
I know someone mentioned (maybe Andy, or I've heard it in a podcast) there was a foam of some sort under the stock battery and that the compartment is actually quite large.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:20 AM
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
I don't expect any of the major brands to ever go down the OSS route but gee it would be real nice if their hardware could be open enough to let hobby folk be hobby folk and develop and use their own firmware at their own risk.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Glad to see I'm not alone on this one
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:02 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,026 Posts
We fit a 4000mAh 2S pack into them. That's what mine has right now.

Quote:
We discussed it several times. I'm a big proponent of open and free code. It boils down to "at their own risk." If we were to OSS the code, hackers and crackers could easily "break" things, causing their planes to crash. We have enough trouble now with people blaming dumb thumbs, undersized power systems, and poor linkage setups on "lockouts." Imagine what it would be like if they could also blame the application software, when in fact it's their own code and it's very easy and fast to swap the factory code back in. I really would have liked to see it opened up because I know that certain parts of the community would be able to make fantastic contributions.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:05 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
DX8 vs Aurora 9 - Low votage notification included.?

Here's a simple comparison/question between Spektrum DX8 and Hitec Aurora 9.

- A Hitec Aurora 9 and Optima 7 radio/receiver combo is all you need to give you low voltage battery notification on your radio while flying.

- A DX8 radio and Spektrum receiver AND telemetry module are all required to receive a low voltage notification on your radio while flying.

Are these statements true? IMO low voltage notification would be the most useful feature for either product.

BTW - I've been flying for the last few years with a DX7

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Sep 06, 2010, 02:48 PM
Joined May 2010
78 Posts
I have had a Dx7 since they first came out and it has been rock solid the whole time, not one glitch. I have also had a Dx6i that came with a blade 400. This radio has also been rock solid but I have recently had a problem with it. The pot on throttle acted up which cost me my blade 400 when it went to full throttle and jumped between low and high causing a spectaculer crash. This was proven on the moniter screen after the crash. This radio is not on the recall list and is out of warranty. With shipping both ways and parts and labor it is not worth repairing as I think maybe the pots are cheap and I could lose another one after getting the radio fixed. So my question is, will the DX8 be made to a lot higher standards than the DX6i. I feel the Dx7 is made to JR standards and hoping the DX8 is made to the same standards. Any chance Spektrum will match Jr warranty of 3 years.
I really wanted a DX8 but now I have having second thoughts.
K5054 is offline Find More Posts by K5054
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:15 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,026 Posts
I would contact Customer Support about your radio. Don't start with "It's out of warranty." Start with "my radio showed the same behavior as the ones described in the recall but it's not on the recall list." Look at how many posts you find about Horizon not charging for what clearly should be non-warranty fixes... I'd say your chances are pretty good.

I don't know about warranty on the DX8 - that's way outside of my area. What does the website say? What does the past experience of many, many people say?

As for quality, yes, the DX8 is made to much higher standards than the DX6i. It is designed that way. There's simply no comparing and entry-level radio to a moderate- to high-level one. The basic feel is that of a much more expensive radio, and the sticks get compliments all the time.

If you doubt, just wait until they're in stock at your LHS and try one out. Examine it thoroughly. I think you'll like it. (Or just wait until they start shipping and you hear rave reviews on RCGroups).

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3 Posts
Hello all, have DX8 adjustable or automatic "throttle delay" between switching flight modes in heli setup?
Thanks.
cthulhu is offline Find More Posts by cthulhu
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:46 PM
Joined May 2010
78 Posts
Andy

I have already contacted customer support and they told me to send it in and gave me their shop charges.
As I have already ordered my DX8 I think will just save the money and convert an old Multiplex radio to 2.4 with the DX6i guts.
I really liked the weight and feel in my hands of the DX6i and hope the DX8 is similar.
K5054 is offline Find More Posts by K5054
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:52 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5054 View Post
Andy

I have already contacted customer support and they told me to send it in and gave me their shop charges.
As I have already ordered my DX8 I think will just save the money and convert an old Multiplex radio to 2.4 with the DX6i guts.
I really liked the weight and feel in my hands of the DX6i and hope the DX8 is similar.
Hi, I have 2 DX6i's, wait, only one now I sold one this morning to help pay for the DX8 when it arrives Myself and others thought the DX6i's felt a little, lets say "unsubstantial". But for the money it taught me how to fly and is a nice radio, I am going to keep this other DX6i also. But the DX8 apparently has a very ergonomic, well balanced, substantial feel. That is what I am looking for.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 06, 2010, 04:11 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post
Hello all, have DX8 adjustable or automatic "throttle delay" between switching flight modes in heli setup?
Thanks.
Is there a separate delay so that as you change flight modes, the throttle moves to the new mode more slowly than the controls? No.

Does that describe what you mean?

The throttle can be delayed using the servo speed adjustment, just like all the other channels.

Andy
Site Sponsor