Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:42 AM
Joined Apr 2011
26 Posts
I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice about mixing on a DX8.

I had to limit my elevator output to 90% to keep it from intersecting my rudder and I also have mixed 60%Rudder with Elevator so the plane doesn't loose altitude when turning (3ch NightVapor...Love it).

Well the problem is when I give it full elevator (90%) plus a good bit of Rudder the radio output goes over 90% to like 120% causing the elevator to bump into the Rudder and cause the Rudder to hang up until I reduce the Elevator.

Is there a way to put a celling on the elevator or limit the mixing to a certain high limit?

I setup the 90% limit in servo setup/travel/elevator/90% 100% but it gets over ridden. What am I missing?
Chad
Chadbone is offline Find More Posts by Chadbone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:42 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,173 Posts
Ops is forget the DX10T is more a DX18T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Since the DX10t has a dual antennae setup (one external, one internal, at least if you can trust the marketing blahblah), I think the RF deck is different for the 10.

When the RF decks are the same, it should be no problem to boost the DX8 to a DX10 (non-t), at least channel-wise. Like Futaba did with the T8FG. That would be a nice "apology" for the crashes we had because of the "let's change the DSM2 protocol to lock out clones, oops, the clones work but the originals not"....
Kambalunga is online now Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Last edited by Kambalunga; Jul 03, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:56 AM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,906 Posts
[QUOTE=yakhakker;18659261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Right!

Not Laurel and Hardy again?
The feelings mutual Dick and Jane.
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:00 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadbone View Post
I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice about mixing on a DX8.

I had to limit my elevator output to 90% to keep it from intersecting my rudder and I also have mixed 60%Rudder with Elevator so the plane doesn't loose altitude when turning (3ch NightVapor...Love it).

Well the problem is when I give it full elevator (90%) plus a good bit of Rudder the radio output goes over 90% to like 120% causing the elevator to bump into the Rudder and cause the Rudder to hang up until I reduce the Elevator.

Is there a way to put a celling on the elevator or limit the mixing to a certain high limit?

I setup the 90% limit in servo setup/travel/elevator/90% 100% but it gets over ridden. What am I missing?
Chad
Lose the mix you have setup. Using a bit of elevator in turns is needed with almost all planes. You should be adding the elevator yourself and not relying on a mix that could bite you when you need to avoid an obstacle or another plane. The Vapor/Night Vapor are among the easiest planes to fly.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:45 AM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
1,920 Posts
Thanks for the input: I try an listen to everyone. I know I sometimes get a bug up my butt about things. I wrote to HH and asked for a loaner or a new DX6i overnighted to me, at MY cost, but haven't heard back yet. It might be something they should offer if there is 4 week turn around.
I had next day service on an HP computer, and it took them 3 weeks to fix it. I bought a new Toshiba the 2nd day, I needed it. I sued HP for the price of it and I won!

Confuzshuz: I know you weren't blaming me. I did research Tx and the most commonly recommended was the DX8. My bad luck that my Tx crashed my first self built heli the first and everytime I flew it. Being a relative newbie I thought it must be me, but after the 3rd time...
Happy 4th everyone!!! Freedom is not free!
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:51 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
Thanks for the input: I try an listen to everyone. I know I sometimes get a bug up my butt about things. I wrote to HH and asked for a loaner or a new DX6i overnighted to me, at MY cost, but haven't heard back yet. It might be something they should offer if there is 4 week turn around.
I had next day service on an HP computer, and it took them 3 weeks to fix it. I bought a new Toshiba the 2nd day, I needed it. I sued HP for the price of it and I won!

Confuzshuz: I know you weren't blaming me. I did research Tx and the most commonly recommended was the DX8. My bad luck that my Tx crashed my first self built heli the first and everytime I flew it. Being a relative newbie I thought it must be me, but after the 3rd time...
Happy 4th everyone!!! Freedom is not free!
I had a problem with an HP also, I returned it for a full refund but it was an uphill battle,
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 03, 2011, 10:57 AM
Joined Apr 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Lose the mix you have setup. Using a bit of elevator in turns is needed with almost all planes. You should be adding the elevator yourself and not relying on a mix that could bite you when you need to avoid an obstacle or another plane. The Vapor/Night Vapor are among the easiest planes to fly.
Although I don't disagree with your advice it doesn't address the issue of mixing overriding servo limits.

I can and do fly this and other 5ch planes without mixing but I enjoy setting up and playing with mixes and different flight styles of the same plane to keep planes fresh. And am looking for a way to keep mixing from overriding servo limits.

Thanks for trying to help. Any other advice regarding setting up the dx8 with tru limits.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:09 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Your not setting servo limits when you set it 90%. What you set was the limit on the throw when you move the stick from min to max on the transmitter. Mixes can/will boost this number as you have seen.

The mix you setup is not correct. That's a mix you would never really want to have. You need to learn to use the elevator properly. Imagine trying to use a mix like that on a big plane, trouble... Or how about the first time you flew inverted and turned.

Loose the mix and just learn to fly the plane properly.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:03 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for trying to help. Any other advice regarding setting up the dx8 with tru limits.
You are looking for a feature the radio doesn't have.

Some do let you set absolute limits that will override mixing, but the DX8 doesn't have this at the moment.

It is something they could add if they want to of course.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:11 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
I hope they never do this. That would screw up a lot of other things when using mixes.

You could try and look up how the e-ring feature works or setup the plane bound in heli mode and try the same mix again if you are set in wanting to you a mix. This might work differently in heli mode.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:59 PM
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
I wish absolute limits were available. It makes set up much easier for me. It would be a nice feature to have and the ability to turn it on or off.
Confuzshuz is offline Find More Posts by Confuzshuz
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Apr 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
You are looking for a feature the radio doesn't have.

Some do let you set absolute limits that will override mixing, but the DX8 doesn't have this at the moment.

It is something they could add if they want to of course.
Thanks a lot for addressing my question. That is what I suspected but was looking for verification. Hopefully they do ad that as an option. I say option so the nay-Sayers can just not use it.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:26 PM
Joined Apr 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
Your not setting servo limits when you set it 90%. What you set was the limit on the throw when you move the stick from min to max on the transmitter. Mixes can/will boost this number as you have seen.

The mix you setup is not correct. That's a mix you would never really want to have. You need to learn to use the elevator properly. Imagine trying to use a mix like that on a big plane, trouble... Or how about the first time you flew inverted and turned.

Loose the mix and just learn to fly the plane properly.
Thanks for the first part of your reply

Regards to the second part. That is a mix I do want to have for slow backyard flying with my kids. I made it for fun to tweak around with my dx8. I never said I needed to have that mix to be able to fly. I know very well how to fly all of my planes properly and would not use a mix like that on a the plane that I fly inverted and even if I did the mixes I make can usually be switched off in flight if I don't want to use them anymore.

I know how to fly and was not really asking for advice regarding that but asking for programming advice about a dx8 in a dx8 forum. Ignoring the programming limitation does not fix the programing limitation regardless of what mix I am talking about or what plane I use it on. I didn't realize I would get such criticism for messing around for "fun" and trying to learn more about my new radio. I got lots of comments from people wrongly assuming I couldn't flu "properly" and few people actually addressing the question I asked. This is the first radio I have owned that was programable at all and I have been flying for 11 years. People should focus on helping people and not criticizing people so much. I learned my lesson I guess.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:39 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Yeah but it isn't the DX8 assembly.....it is the DX6i assembly which is not the same that they installed. Why did they not put the original? Simple question lol
Did you call Spektrum and ask them?
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:45 PM
ATK
Joined May 2003
15 Posts
Quote:
People should focus on helping people and not criticizing people so much. I learned my lesson I guess.
I don't think you got criticism. It was actually good advice based on the information at hand in the initial post.

However its a great idea for the kids and I'm going to use it too once I get the Night Vapor

BTW I too really would like to have limits on the servos. It would fix many mixing problems.
ATK is offline Find More Posts by ATK