HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:11 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,109 Posts
Interested parties may search snopes for "laws of physics" to find the story behind the story. Apparently somebody didn't seeing a link to the facts behind the kidding.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Last edited by AndyKunz; Jun 30, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:43 PM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Can we please follow forum rules and not bring politics into this forum?
I understand your apparantconcern. FWIW- the comments made about milage were to show that it is easy to fool people who are not technically conversant
This relates to the idea that published range specifications would have some real value
In retrospect - they would -IF one included ALL the factors affecting range.
However most would fall asleep before they could complete reading all the whys and wherefors.
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:49 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Edit: Sorry just noticed the political in the DX8 forum complainer, comment removed.
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:38 PM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Stockholm
Joined Jun 2005
84 Posts
A question to those that have sended in their DX8 to Horizon UK for the latest bullentin.
When Horizon have done their work and send the radio back.
Do they send a email with a tracking number ?
mce73 is offline Find More Posts by mce73
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:47 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mce73 View Post
A question to those that have sended in their DX8 to Horizon UK for the latest bullentin.
No, it will just arrive.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:53 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mce73 View Post
I received an email with tracking number both times I sent in my DX8 and 9503. The DX8 came back last week and the 9503 is scheduled to be here Friday according to UPS.
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:03 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
What was your original post, the one with the info and photos? I just scrolled back a couple hundred messages and didn't see it.

Thanks.

Andy
There was no picture. Some guy asked to see a picture. My original post said that there is DX6i parts in my DX8....the full antenna assembly. I opened it up to grease it a bit and saw that those parts were in my DX8.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:07 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRellic View Post
I am installing my Altitude and Air Speed sensors and the question is. Do I rebind both Telemetry module and Receiver prior to use and is the Daisy Chain sequence of the two sensors into the x-bus port important?

Thanks eh

Brian T.
I just tried out the speed sensor today and it worked perfectly! I was concerned that I had installed the pitot tube too close to the prop wash as I installed it through the aileron bay but it has no erroneous readings- so all is good. No need to rebind, just plug into the xbus and it works.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:24 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAC_Sweden View Post
The "idiot masses"?
What happened to -Please keep it nice?
Present company excluded of course

I don't see this problem as much in RC, but when I was really into car & home audio, I got so sick of all of the advertised "max" power ratings on amps and speakers as that became the main selling point which made it much harder to actually compare different products. It would be the same as if every battery and esc was advertised and named by it's max "burst" current vs. the nominal rating.
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:31 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,774 Posts
Apparently my question is invalid, because you are not questioning the same. My parallel to (wanting to know) car specs doesn't apply, because there is a person that bought a car without knowing.

Am I the only one that is interested in FPV? The only one that wants to know all the facts and specs about (my) equipment? I would ask the source code of the software if I had the chance. Dito about my TV. I like to know how far and big Mars is, even though I won't ever go there. I like a Veyron because it can go 400 km/h, even though I can never afford one. I believe a brochure, but I am even happier to see prove.
I like science, I like to know things, I like tests, comparisons, reviews, numbers etc.
Hard to understand that my question seems odd or irrelevant to you.

I'll leave the matter be.
It's becoming a distraction, where I certainly didn't intent one. But I felt the need to reply to some of your comments, without becoming personal.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Apparently my question is invalid, because you are not questioning the same. My parallel to (wanting to know) car specs doesn't apply, because there is a person that bought a car without knowing.

Am I the only one that is interested in FPV? The only one that wants to know all the facts and specs about (my) equipment? I would ask the source code of the software if I had the chance. Dito about my TV. I like to know how far and big Mars is, even though I won't ever go there. I like a Veyron because it can go 400 km/h, even though I can never afford one. I believe a brochure, but I am even happier to see prove.
I like science, I like to know things, I like tests, comparisons, reviews, numbers etc.

It's becoming a distraction, where I certainly didn't intent one. But I felt the need to reply to some of your comments, without becoming personal.
I can understandyour interest - but this stuff ain't intended for fpv-flown past range of normal vision.
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:39 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:

I agree, great minds think alike!
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:46 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,294 Posts
Range simply cannot be stated because it varries GREATLY depending on the plane it's put in.

If you incorrectly install a receiver that has all antenna blocked by carbon fiber etc, you might get a rage of 50 FEET. If you install it in an open air slowstick with no electrically conductive materials you might get upwards of 5 MILES of range with the right air and atmosphere conditions (I'm guessing here). If HH stated a 2mile range, and somebody's badly installed receiver crashed at 50 FEET how much craziness would you expect on the forums.

Beyond Line of Sight (BLOS) flying is up in the air right now (In the US) and is definitely outside AMA's insurance coverage.

If your doing FPV within line of site your within reasonably expected range of the "full range" receivers. if your doing GPS waypoint flying but staying within LOS your within reasonable range.

I'd LOVE to try FPV, but I'd never use it BLOS. I want to build a miniature Red bull air race course and run planes FPV style through it. We could even do AMA records keeping for it.

But 2.4ghz will never be a vary long range frequency because it's very power limited and 2.4ghz is blocked vary easily by things like carbon fiber, trees, water (moister in the air), batteries, etc.

If you want a Reliable BLOS system, look for a lower frequency system, the lower the frequency the more crap it can go through.

Quote:

creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:56 PM
Valdosta, GA
Joined May 2006
175 Posts
I just got my DX8 back from HH. For those wondering about turn around time, it spent 14 days at Horizon, plus 4-5 days in transit each way. I was notified by e-mail when it arrived at HH, and also when it was being sent back. I had tracking numbers both ways.

I was without the DX8 for three weekends. During this time, I used my backup 2.4 Optic 6. What a difference, especially with my 3D planes. I didn't realize how much I liked some of the features on the DX8 until I didn't have them.

HH included a 6115e parkflyer receiver with my transmitter. I don't have any parkflyers. Is the range less than a 6200? Would it work with a 48 inch 3D electric?
efowlerpreston is offline Find More Posts by efowlerpreston
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:11 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
I've flown the 6100 clone in a Habu at an open field so far out that I almost lost sight, but it came back without any blinking lights, but this was with a dx6i
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief