HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:09 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,490 Posts
Why does anyone want a heavy Tx? The lighter the better in my opinion.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:15 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
That is why I said ergononics can be "funny". I recently just upgraded all my expensive Greenbull heavy duty ladders to lighter duty ones. They were just to heavy to work with. But there is something that just feels right about some tools and equipment. It cant always be explained I suppose.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:21 AM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
Thx for the quick reply Andy. Thats great news to know! I'm really sold on the telemerty system and controlling the servo speed. I have been using the Quanum telemerty system from HK since it has came out. I know it would over hual the whole look of our bacis transmitter, but being I fly alone alot so there is really no one to help look at the telemerty. With my exprience with the Quanum is the it is on top of the transmitter so all I would do is to hold it up to take a glance. Now it the DX8 I would have to look be on the antanna all the way down close to the bottom of the transmitter. That might really make a big difference on taking your eyes off the aircraft. I know there is an alarm that would go off. But I never wait till it does so I like to look at mine.
Maybe make a good size display above the transmitter or better yet have a voice that tells you (what ever time you set it) your real time voltages, speed, temp or what ever you want it to tell you ? That way you just don't narrow it to only electric. It's just my 2 cent that might help us fly with out guessing. Thx for reading this.

Danny
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:49 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
If you have unhuman-sized hands, yes. I've been wanting to learn both Mode 1 and tray flying, so maybe I'll just break down and double-whammy myself.

Andy
Here's a vote for mode 1. I've been back and forth over the years and for quite a while when I was concentrating on helicopters I flew only mode 2. But now that I'm back mainly to fixed wing, I had my X9303 converted by Horizon to mode 1 (I still have a DX7 on mode 2 for helicopters). It's like coming home!

I've tried trays a few times and never got comfortable, though I might have another go. I do use a neck strap though.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:53 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet-ster View Post
Thx for the quick reply Andy. Thats great news to know! I'm really sold on the telemerty system and controlling the servo speed. I have been using the Quanum telemerty system from HK since it has came out. I know it would over hual the whole look of our bacis transmitter, but being I fly alone alot so there is really no one to help look at the telemerty. With my exprience with the Quanum is the it is on top of the transmitter so all I would do is to hold it up to take a glance. Now it the DX8 I would have to look be on the antanna all the way down close to the bottom of the transmitter. That might really make a big difference on taking your eyes off the aircraft. I know there is an alarm that would go off. But I never wait till it does so I like to look at mine.
Maybe make a good size display above the transmitter or better yet have a voice that tells you (what ever time you set it) your real time voltages, speed, temp or what ever you want it to tell you ? That way you just don't narrow it to only electric. It's just my 2 cent that might help us fly with out guessing. Thx for reading this.

Danny
I know it's a minor thing, and I won't give up on the DX8 or DX6i because of it, but I agree with Danny on this issue. I never could understand why the display couldn't be placed in a more useful position near the top of the transmitter. I'm always having to hold the Tx up and look through the neck strap to check the timer, voltages, etc. on the DX6i (including having to deal with the non-backlit display on the DX6i). Meanwhile, my fast parkjet is overflying Iowa's airspace in a death spiral...

~Roger
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:56 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
I know it's a minor thing, and I won't give up on the DX8 or DX6i because of it, but I agree with Danny on this issue. I never could understand why the display couldn't be placed in a more useful position near the top of the transmitter. I'm always having to hold the Tx up and look through the neck strap to check the timer, voltages, etc. on the DX6i (including having to deal with the non-backlit display on the DX6i). Meanwhile, my fast parkjet is overflying Iowa's airspace in a death spiral...

~Roger
What he said!
VP
Old Sep 03, 2010, 11:26 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,418 Posts
Quote:
According to my boss during his Podcast interview, yes. We don't expect to sell them here like they will in Germany, but they'll be available.

What mixes do you need in a DLG?

Andy
I would assume that all your standard mixes would be there. I don't use "sailplane mode" now to set up my DLG's and I only have 3(or 4, I can't remember) mixes available on my old JR.
I don't know because I haven't flown a real full house sailplane in "sailplane mode", but isn't being in sailplane mode just and easier way to program. Couldn't you do the same functions in regular old airplane mode with all the mixes we have available? Did I miss the boat on this one?

I can't wait to hold one in my hand to see how it feels. I am a little afraid about spinning around with this new gem only to have it go flying the opposite direction

Matt M
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Sep 03, 2010, 01:30 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
It's not just the weight, but it "feels" light and plastic. I tried a multiplex once, and though the transmitetr had VERY nice capabilities and features, the case emits cracking noises in your hands. The owner never had a problem with it, but it feels cheap. With a DX6i at 200 $ it is OK, but not for a 400 $ radio.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2010, 01:32 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
It's not just the weight, but it "feels" light and plastic. I tried a multiplex once, and though the transmitetr had VERY nice capabilities and features, the case emits cracking noises in your hands. The owner never had a problem with it, but it feels cheap. With a DX6i at 200 $ it is OK, but not for a 400 $ radio.
Right!
VP
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:53 PM
Never stop
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post

~Roger
A pair of glasses capable of HUD would be nice.

As for why the display is at the bottom, my guess is that no one really wants to innovate and change something too much cause if people don't like it, a lot of money goes down the tubes. Once companies get taken over by the bean counters, innovation stops.
Left_Drift is offline Find More Posts by Left_Drift
Old Sep 03, 2010, 06:06 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Sorry if this has already been asked but can I use the Telemetry module on my heli IF I am just using the Spektrum Sat receivers?
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
Old Sep 03, 2010, 06:17 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
No, you need the Data port that's on the main rec.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Sep 03, 2010, 07:35 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,027 Posts
Hi Ray,

If you don't need to see the Flight Log data, yes. If you want to see that stuff, you need to have a receiver with a Data port.

Which system are you using?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:09 PM
Medium Rare
Sweden
Joined Jun 2010
115 Posts
Spektrum DX8 Overview (13 min 28 sec)
Svensson is offline Find More Posts by Svensson
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:48 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Hi Ray,

If you don't need to see the Flight Log data, yes. If you want to see that stuff, you need to have a receiver with a Data port.

Which system are you using?

Andy
Andy I use the Mikado Vbar system that uses only Two Sat receivers. I would Love to be able to see the receiver pack voltage while flying.
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee