HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:18 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Right, I meant application. I have been self employed for 20 years, I havent been to an interview in a while.
VP
Can't speak for Spektrum directly but no one seems to "Interview anymore".

It's fill out an on line app and if HR thinks your worth a look then just maube you might get to talk to another human.

Been self employed for 20 years or so my self.Neve going back to work for the MAN!.
mikeruth is online now Find More Posts by mikeruth
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:21 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,766 Posts
New DX8 user here. Just got mine yesterday and took it out for a spin this morning (after charging it, of course).

1) I prefer the feel of my DX7 over the DX8. My hands are a bit small and the sticks feel further 'inside' from the edge. Not too bad...maybe I'll get used to it.

2) I thought I had read the manual pretty well but it took me several minutes to figure out how to get it into SYSTEM mode (turn on, hold rolling knob).

3) Speaking of the rolling knob..great idea but feels slippery to me. The turning knob on my Futaba 7CAP is MUCH better.

4) Damn there are a LOT of switches on this thing. They're just begging to be snapped off!

and the good part...

4) Threw in a brand new HK Orange Receiver into a Herr Cessna 180. Never used the Orange RX before so it was a REAL test.
  • Binding: Check
  • Model Programmed: Check
  • Flew without crashing: Check
  • Problems: None to report
Looking forward to moving all my models (20+) over to the DX8 over the weekend!

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:24 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bob View Post
Yes but both screens modify the same parameters, shouldn't each reflect the other?
If they modified the same parameters, they would. But they don't.

Do a test. Start with a default model. Export it to your SD card.

Now make a model and modify just parameters on the Switch screen. Export it to the SD card (with a different name, of course).

Now make a model and modify just the options using the Function Menu screens. Export that.

Now use a diffs utility to compare the three SPM files (they are text).

Quote:
I can see why the HOLD/MIX switch is given different names dependant on mode but i don't get why the GEAR switch has to be renamed?
Tradition. It goes back to the old days when they had "Air" and "Heli" radios that were actually different.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:32 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr View Post
Looking forward to moving all my models (20+) over to the DX8 over the weekend!
Hi Lee,

When I finally got a DX8 to keep, my son wanted my DX7. I told him he had to move all 17 models from the 7 to the 8, including trims, and then he could have it. The default trim step size is the same between DX7 and DX8.

It took him about 2 hours to move all 17 over.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:39 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer View Post
Andy,

When they get my radio that has been sent to them, will I receive anything showing that it is in the system?
I got a service tracking number e-mailed to me once my radio arrived at HH. I could then follow it online:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Service/

If you don't have one yet, call Horizon Support:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Support/
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:02 AM
Joined Feb 2011
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
If they modified the same parameters, they would. But they don't.

Do a test. Start with a default model. Export it to your SD card.

Now make a model and modify just parameters on the Switch screen. Export it to the SD card (with a different name, of course).

Now make a model and modify just the options using the Function Menu screens. Export that.

Now use a diffs utility to compare the three SPM files (they are text).
Andy
All of that is true, but if you assign different channels to say the GYRO switch in the Gyro menu and Switch menu (in that order) the monitor screen shows both channels are used. If you then go and modify the channel in Gyro menu again the switch menu now shows INH. Something doesn't look right.

Quote:
Tradition. It goes back to the old days when they had "Air" and "Heli" radios that were actually different.
Do i have different label on my DX8 - i have one switch labelled GEAR and the other HOLD/MIX.

/Bob.
2bob is offline Find More Posts by 2bob
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:06 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,209 Posts
Quote:
If you then go and modify the channel in Gyro menu again the switch menu now shows INH. Something doesn't look right.
I really challenge you to do the diffs and see.

It has to do with the Gyro function over-riding the Gyro switch assignment when enabled. It's pretty deep in how things work internally, but really, it's doing exactly what we want and what my channel processing logic requires.

Quote:
Do i have different label on my DX8 - i have one switch labelled GEAR and the other HOLD/MIX.
No, that's the same label we all have. You're rightt should show GEAR/MIX, not just GEAR. That was pointed out a year ago when the radio was first released.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:19 PM
Joined May 2009
338 Posts
Andy, any chance I can persuade you to put some software debounce on input code handling the click wheel? Mine is very quick to register multiple clicks when only one is intended. A 350-500ms delay before a second click is recognized would make it a lot easier to move around. I sometimes end up just clicking over and over again trying to get to an option because it gets two clicks and the first one enters the option and the second one exits again.
philipm785 is offline Find More Posts by philipm785
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:34 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,209 Posts
Roll at the bottom of the wheel.

Click at the top.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:36 PM
It's gone...
Joined Aug 2004
5,139 Posts
My radio came with extra stickers so I can label them correctly when I reassign switches.
Did you change yours?
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:14 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Quote:
Hi Lee,

When I finally got a DX8 to keep, my son wanted my DX7. I told him he had to move all 17 models from the 7 to the 8, including trims, and then he could have it. The default trim step size is the same between DX7 and DX8.

It took him about 2 hours to move all 17 over.

Andy
Ahh, that's why you don't support verifiable data format that can be easily edited by a PC application. You have a personal slave to do all the work with the scroll wheel
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:32 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,473 Posts
Well I sent in a repair request form but am a bit confused. The email I got from Horizon said my specific "HO" (HO012) was not part of the recall. The website says HO is included. Since I've had a major problem with the AR6100e (vid posted a while back) I'm assuming I am part of the "send er in, git er fixed" group.
Truth is since I replaced the 6100 with the 6115 I've had zero problems, also no problems with my AR8000. I would have settled with an exchange of the 6100 for another 6115, but now I'm concerned that there might be another gremlin down the road! Guess I'll hear soon if my DX8 is part of the recall....
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:38 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
I have an HO as the PID was changed on the last recall. Mine still has issues being compatible with the ar6100's
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
I got a HO011 too but with no problems. I guess I need email and see if I'm actually effected, wasn't listed in the first post. Maybe your support person just didn't get the memo.
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:47 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
Well I sent in a repair request form but am a bit confused. The email I got from Horizon said my specific "HO" (HO012) was not part of the recall. The website says HO is included. Since I've had a major problem with the AR6100e (vid posted a while back) I'm assuming I am part of the "send er in, git er fixed" group.
Truth is since I replaced the 6100 with the 6115 I've had zero problems, also no problems with my AR8000. I would have settled with an exchange of the 6100 for another 6115, but now I'm concerned that there might be another gremlin down the road! Guess I'll hear soon if my DX8 is part of the recall....
I have a HO012 and sent it back 2 days ago. You should give HH a call.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H