HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2010, 06:46 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark
My understanding of a tray radio is that is is designed to sit in a tray holster that hangs around your neck or shoulder.
That is correct. It's a popular European operating style, particularly in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Those who use it say they feel more sensitivity when using their forefinger and thumb to control the joystick.

When I first moved here 25 years ago you were hard pressed to find anyone without one. Personally I've never really flown with a tray-mounted system (Pultsender), but I've tried it on simulators yet cannot seem to adjust. So I still use the so-called hand transmitter (Handsender). But over the past 10 years the hand-held Tx has become more and more popular here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Sounds like the power can be increased and decreased with the service areas?
That is also correct. And it's the main reason I'm interested in this system (but I still haven't decided for sure yet). This way I could simply take it back and forth with me between Germany and my vacations in Oregon without feeling guilty about regulatory infractions. But the only strange thing about this, as I understand it, is that in Germany the maximum allowable output is 100mW, yet the DX8's lowest setting is 200mW.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; Apr 04, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:58 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-10_Flyer View Post
The DX8 is about $460 in USD. A little pricey for two more channels but that is just me.
mmm i think they can do better if they want the market, im sure other brands are gearing up for improvements also.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
umm yea definately goin 9503 umm same price, 1 more channel, same technology, and it looks like a hobby transmitter not a toy.
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2008
125 Posts
I would buy the DX10 because it comes with FREE asignable switches like the Graupner ones...
I think the DX8 doesn't, it's an american design

Andika is offline Find More Posts by Andika
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:23 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintz2007 View Post
umm yea definately goin 9503 umm same price, 1 more channel, same technology, and it looks like a hobby transmitter not a toy.
A little counterpoint.

I think that price is completely reasonable for what is offered.
I can remember paying $750 (discounted price) for the first Kraft Signature Series in 1975. It was a 7 channel.
True there were four servos included but I considered that worth it at the time.
Considering the state of the art at that time it was worth it and I put well over 1500 flights on the set up (Pattern)
Do the math---- today that would be what $3500?????

Let's see, I'm no fan of telemetry (flying for 50 years without it makes it of little value to me now) but it is an 8 channel, with all the programming, and telemetry; speed, 11ms frame rate (which I currently fly) and a lot of features yet to be revealed.
Particularly if you are into Helis it has a bunch of programming goodies.

I consider $460 a steal...IF that IS the price. At $100 more or $560 it would still be a good value.......and I am on a fixed income "retired" for the last 17 years. Sooooo $$$$$$ mean something to me as most of mine were saved in the 70's and 80's!!!

You younger guys better start looking at what you are being offered rather than trying to extrapolate prices.

Wake up and smell the roses!

BTW the Hitec Aurora is OVER three years late! It has but 1024 resolution (I've been on 2048 since 2007) frame rate ???? yeah right! Haven't seen any authoritative figures published so I will bet it isn't at 11ms or perhaps even 22ms.
Radios, including this one (DX8), are one of the cheapest parts of the hobby.

As I said, "counterpoint" you really didn't want to hear.
But my considered view.

IF you want to compare it to the 'no brand-no service' Chinese stuff , why simply be my guest. I am NOT interested at all in that at ANY price.

Everyone has a viewpoint this is mine.

BTW I also own an X9303 from the first shipment. Nice radio. Yes it IS better looking than the DX8 BUT it is NOT 11ms it is 22ms on frame rate.
Think you cannot tell the difference?
I thought so too. then I flew an 11ms set up for three weeks and went back to my X9303. Guess what?
There is a difference. Incremental to be certain but once you've tasted the honey --------- :-)
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Last edited by onewasp; Apr 05, 2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:00 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,306 Posts
I've got 2 dx6i's right now. When/if the DX8 comes to the states i'll buy it. I prefer it's looks over the 9503 so to each their own. I'd also rather have telemetry than a 9th channel.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:04 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,076 Posts
I may end up going with the DX8 because I have the 6i and I would like to have another spektrum. And the telemetry would be nice with the radian so Im not guessing how much battery I have left.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Trinidad Scorpion
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:16 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,495 Posts
Quote:
BTW the Hitec Aurora is OVER three years late! It has but 1024 resolution (I've been on 2048 since 2007) frame rate ???? yeah right! Haven't seen any authoritative figures published so I will bet it isn't at 11ms or perhaps even 22ms.
In the last RCHeliMag, the latency of the Aurora 9 was measured at an average 51ms for channel 1 to 59ms for channel 4. Way more than the DX7 or DX7se (11ms). So you are right one wasp.

The JR9503 sells for 549 $ for a 9 channel, so it makes sense that the 8 channels DX8 sells for less than that and more than a DX7. 460 $ sounds right to me, I paid 400 $ for the first DX7 about 4 years ago.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2010, 09:17 PM
Andika
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Offensive content (Profanity).
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewasp View Post
A little counterpoint.

I think that price is completely reasonable for what is offered.
I can remember paying $750 (discounted price) for the first Kraft Signature Series in 1975. It was a 7 channel.
True there were four servos included but I considered that worth it at the time.
Considering the state of the art at that time it was worth it and I put well over 1500 flights on the set up (Pattern)
Do the math---- today that would be what $3500?????

Let's see, I'm no fan of telemetry (flying for 50 years without it makes it of little value to me now) but it is an 8 channel, with all the programming, and telemetry; speed, 11ms frame rate (which I currently fly) and a lot of features yet to be revealed.
Particularly if you are into Helis it has a bunch of programming goodies.

I consider $460 a steal...IF that IS the price. At $100 more or $560 it would still be a good value.......and I am on a fixed income "retired" for the last 17 years. Sooooo $$$$$$ mean something to me as most of mine were saved in the 70's and 80's!!!

You younger guys better start looking at what you are being offered rather than trying to extrapolate prices.

Wake up and smell the roses!

Radios, including this one (DX8), are one of the cheapest parts of the hobby.

As I said, "counterpoint" you really didn't want to hear.
But my considered view.

IF you want to compare it to the 'no brand-no service' Chinese stuff , why simply be my guest. I am NOT interested at all in that at ANY price.

Everyone has a viewpoint this is mine.

BTW I also own an X9303 from the first shipment. Nice radio. Yes it IS better looking than the DX8 BUT it is NOT 11ms it is 22ms on frame rate.
Think you cannot tell the difference?
I thought so too. then I flew an 11ms set up for three weeks and went back to my X9303. Guess what?
There is a difference. Incremental to be certain but once you've tasted the honey --------- :-)
notice i said 9*5*03 i know the 9303 is over priced they dropped the price by 100 on the 9503 and added a couple features
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
In the last RCHeliMag, the latency of the Aurora 9 was measured at an average 51ms for channel 1 to 59ms for channel 4. Way more than the DX7 or DX7se (11ms). So you are right one wasp.

The JR9503 sells for 549 $ for a 9 channel, so it makes sense that the 8 channels DX8 sells for less than that and more than a DX7. 460 $ sounds right to me, I paid 400 $ for the first DX7 about 4 years ago.
huh wow you got robbed, i only paid $20 for mine, nib ar7000 and all...

i may add that i won the raffle at our fly-in

and it turned me from futaba to JR instantly, sure their stuff costs a fuzz more but they are rock solid, everything,

UNLIKE Hitec that scared the absolute crap outta me everytime i flew their stuff, i still have hs55s hanging around but once i can im goin all jr, or futaba sxs
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:01 AM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
"notice i said 9*5*03 i know the 9303 is over priced they dropped the price by 100 on the 9503 and added a couple features "

No, no , no. The X9303was NOT overpriced!

It was the ONLY 9 channel Spektrum (or any other 2.4GHz SS set) in the market when it became available in late (October actually) 2007.

The fact is that the 9503 has been moved to its place with three additional features I.E. back light. throttle timer control and 50 vs. 30 model memories..

All that means is that it has been repositioned in the model line up at a lower price point to meet competition and to allow room for newer entries to be made in the future. The original $629 price was list and on opening day I paid $539 for the complete set up.

Business continues to be driven by profit and as always competition sets the price level NOT cost.
Cost has a bearing only on the P&L statement.

Cost means nothing in establishing price levels.
I've spent a lifetime in control of that side of a major business enterprise as well as Sales and Marketing.
Simply not in the RC business area.

All businesses operate in the same way.
And ALL businesses must have a good profit level to justify the risk being taken.
Not to mention financing further R & D for future viability and growth.
Last edited by onewasp; Apr 06, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:32 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,495 Posts
How about the new 11x at about 750 $ ? It seems to me this will relegate the higher priced system to a niche market. The 14 mz and 12x at their 1500 - 2000 $ price tags will be out of reach considering the price and features of the 11x.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRP1100
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2010, 03:26 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
It will be interesting to watch the market pressures at work.

A horseback guess on my part.
I really expect the 11X to go nowhere in this country.
Two extra channels---for what???
New case? Doesn't fly a thing.
Programming? Yes, completely assignable switches are worth something-----But NOT roughly 300 to 400 clams!

I think it is time for the industry and the modeler to recognize that unused switches/channels are worthless. I have flown Precision forever. On occasion I have used 7 channels.

Never any more than 7 and I have owned a lot of sets with more capability than that.
Why help increase latency with channel processing time for unused and
unneeded channels.
In another forum I suggested the thought of a complete quality 7, 8 or 9 channel radio. Best sticks. Best case materials. Best accepted design including ergonomics; fastest processing time, lowest latency, highest reliability----etc., etc.

At a higher price than the existing 7,8 or 9 sets? Why not?
Quality costs more, it always does.

I'd pick 8 as a nice round number. The DX8 will be announced this Friday at Toledo.
That makes us part way there as stylish it is not!
But it is closer than we have been!
Last edited by onewasp; Apr 06, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 03:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewasp View Post
It will be interesting to watch the market pressures at work.

A horseback guess on my part.
I really expect the 11X to go nowhere in this country.
Two extra channels---for what???
New case? Doesn't fly a thing.
Programming? Yes, completely assignable switches are worth something-----But NOT roughly 300 to 400 clams!

I think it is time for the industry and the modeler to recognize that unused switches/channels are worthless. I have flown Precision forever. On occasion I have used 7 channels.

Never any more than 7 and I have owned a lot of sets with more capability than that.
Why help increase latency with channel processing time for unused and
unneeded channels.
In another forum I suggested the thought of a complete quality 7, 8 or 9 channel radio. Best sticks. Best case materials. Best accepted design including ergonomics; fastest processing time, lowest latency, highest reliability----etc., etc.

At a higher price than the existing 7,8 or 9 sets? Why not?
Quality costs more, it always does.

I'd pick 8 as a nice round number. The DX8 will be announced this Friday at Toledo.
That makes us part way there as stylish it is not!
But it is closer than we have been!
umm, ive seen a 9cap filled on a turbine, and things left out when a dx7 was used.