HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:00 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Andy,

When using the trainer function, I'd like to use my DX6i as slave and the DX8 as master. When using the `Pilot Link Master' mode with the DX8 and the model programmed in the DX8, does the DX6i slave need to have any programming,or will it function as `stick function only' following the DX8 programming? Will the DX6i recognize this automatically, and not follow any programming that it may already have?
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:50 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Deadband is not the speed of the servo but a measure of how much the signal from the Rx must change to be recognised by the servo and hence cause movement. A smaller deadband means the servo is able to detect and respond to smaller changes in the position command from the Rx. This document from Hitec explains it well: http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/at-ser/ATLAS-MAN-EN-PG2.pdf
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:06 AM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Ah, I see now.

It looks like you have a good setup then.

Danny's explanation on the 2048 is correct. The 11ms and 2048 resolution go together. Higher-end modelers are going to want both features, not one or the other alone, so that's what we made. The guys in charge happen to be high-end modelers, so....

Andy
This is ideed the correct assumtion they have made!
(And were some other company totally failed...)
Im just waiting for my AR9000 recievers to finally be put into god use with full capacity...
A couple of years back i decided to prolong the life of my thrustwothy PCM9XII, so i put a module in it. Ok i got into 2,4 but was back to 1024, PPM conversion and got a high latency. Now im really looking forward to the thoroughbread and pupose built DX8. I use fast digital servos and suspect i will "feel the difference" this time for real!
IMAC_Sweden is offline Find More Posts by IMAC_Sweden
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:09 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,018 Posts
You can use old servos just fine! I have LOTS of old servos in my models and I use all kinds of receivers as well. You just won't experience the full performance that the radio system can deliver. Most of my models are just fine at the lower rate, but then again I'm no 3D pilot.

One of the options on the radio is to force it to use 22ms timing on the link. You do that by going to the System Setup menu and selecting the "Frame Rate" option. The default value is "go as fast as you can" which is 11ms. The second option forces it to 22ms. It's in the manual.

Since you say you're new to this, you will be fine with setting the radio to 22ms and not worrying about it after that.

A "us" is a microsecond - 1 millionth of a second. If a servo can respond to a signal less than 1us different, then you'll appreciate the 2048/11ms capability. If it can't, then 22ms will be as good as it will get. The servo is the limitation, not the radio, but they can still work together just fine.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:14 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
When using the trainer function, I'd like to use my DX6i as slave and the DX8 as master. When using the `Pilot Link Master' mode with the DX8 and the model programmed in the DX8, does the DX6i slave need to have any programming,or will it function as `stick function only' following the DX8 programming? Will the DX6i recognize this automatically, and not follow any programming that it may already have?
You need to disable any programming in the DX6i first. There is no "I'm in this mode" type communication between the radios. It's up to you to program the models and trainer mode correctly first. That's the same as it has always been.

What I did is create a model called "Trainer" that I just leave with the default programming.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:15 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAC_Sweden View Post
Now im really looking forward to the thoroughbread and pupose built DX8. I use fast digital servos and suspect i will "feel the difference" this time for real!
You will! You might find yourself over-controlling at first. The difference should be pretty signifcant.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:23 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,903 Posts
I remember when I bought the DX6 that there was a noticeable difference in the response time over my old Futaba 9C, or was it just my imagination?

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:04 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
Will the DX8 work as the master TX with an LP5DSM as the slave? I'm currently using a DX6i - LP5DSM so I'm assuming it will but figured I would ask.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:12 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,018 Posts
The DX8 has been tested with all the JR, Spektrum, and E-Flite radios as both master and slave and works fine.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:02 PM
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
Andy,

are you guys also in the development process of the DX10t as well, or is that all on the European side??
do you guys even have a prototype in the US?????????
Danyal is offline Find More Posts by Danyal
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:27 PM
-/|\-/|\-/|\-/|\-/|\-/|\-
Sweden
Joined Dec 2003
247 Posts
Quote:
You will! You might find yourself over-controlling at first. The difference should be pretty signifcant.

Andy
Love to see that
Pontus Claesson is offline Find More Posts by Pontus Claesson
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:39 PM
-/|\-/|\-/|\-/|\-/|\-/|\-
Sweden
Joined Dec 2003
247 Posts
Quote:

....No, that's reserved for the DX10t.

Andy
Is it right the software application layer is developed for/in Germany, hence adopting some of the typical features and possibilities found in Multiplex MC3030/4000, Royal Pro and Graupner MC-2* series?
Pontus Claesson is offline Find More Posts by Pontus Claesson
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:48 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyal View Post
Andy,

are you guys also in the development process of the DX10t as well, or is that all on the European side??
do you guys even have a prototype in the US?????????
Yes, both DX8 and DX10t are my code. "Where" doesn't really matter, though, since we are in constant communication around the world.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:58 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
For almost 30 years I have stuck by, used and loved Futaba.
About 3 years ago Spektrum offered here in the UK, if I remember rightly, for every 2 RX's you by they would give you a 3rd one free, It might have even been buy 1 get 1 free up to 3 max..
As I have a very large collection of planes and heli's all fully equipped this was the cheapest way of converting some over to 2.4.
And seeing as I was weighing up between Futaba 2.4 and Spektrum at the time this tipped the balance, It also meant I could keep my beloved Futaba 9c and get a spektrum module for it. Happy days!

However after seeing and reading about this new TX I am now sold!! And will buy one as soon as they are released over here! I will for the 1st time be a true Spektrum-nite! Although will always have a soft spot for Futaba! ( I do have in excess of 100 of there servos! lol)
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:24 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
For almost 30 years I have stuck by, used and loved Futaba.
About 3 years ago Spektrum offered here in the UK, if I remember rightly, for every 2 RX's you by they would give you a 3rd one free, It might have even been buy 1 get 1 free up to 3 max..
As I have a very large collection of planes and heli's all fully equipped this was the cheapest way of converting some over to 2.4.
And seeing as I was weighing up between Futaba 2.4 and Spektrum at the time this tipped the balance, It also meant I could keep my beloved Futaba 9c and get a spektrum module for it. Happy days!

However after seeing and reading about this new TX I am now sold!! And will buy one as soon as they are released over here! I will for the 1st time be a true Spektrum-nite! Although will always have a soft spot for Futaba! ( I do have in excess of 100 of there servos! lol)
My first radio was a Futaba, I used to sleep with it, I was 12. I still have it, it is a 2 channel FP-2F. My second radio was a pair of Spektrum DX6i's, thirty some years later. My next radio is, (will be) a DX8 whenever they get here.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)