Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:45 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
I don't have the bill of materials handy. Let me tell you how I made my own:

For my own external charging, I have a modified servo extension. I removed the shroud over the one end, leaving the pins exposed, and then removed the unused signal lead (so it wouldn't confuse me).

At the other end (where it has the same connector as a servo), I cut the connector off and stripped the wires so they can be used with my charger.

I just take care to get the polarity right.

With a little googling you should be able to find the information online. It's the same connector that is used in the DX7 and all the JR transmitters.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:35 AM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
Andy:

Planning on getting the DX8.
My next project is a 46% Ultimate and i think that 8channels will be enough since i will only use one servo per aileron.
Anyway im investigating different setup options.
One could be to use the AR9100 powersafe rx and go 7,4V (8,4) throughout the system.
Questions:
-What is the maximum current load you recommend for each individual servo port on the AR9100 ? ( I know it can take 35A continous and 50A peak as a whole)
Im asking cause if i put 2 7955TG servos on Y cables in one port there could be quite a load.
An alternative could be the AR9200 (Powerbox).

-How compatible are the AR9100 and AR9200 recievers in terms of frame rate with the DX8?. (the new AR8000 is 11ms)

-Will there be telemetry support for the recievers above? (enabling both packs to be supervised)

-How often do You plan on issue firmware updates for the DX8? And have you already planned a first release?

Thanks!

//Patrick
IMAC_Sweden is offline Find More Posts by IMAC_Sweden
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:26 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
Patrick,

Welcome to RCGroups. I'm glad to hear you are planning on getting a DX8.

Thanks for the questions. I do not know the answers to the current loading questions. I will see if I can find answers for you, but you might want to check other sites for those. I'm sure there are modelers who have done tests and/or official information from the engineers who know.

The AR9100 and AR9200 receivers are both high-speed receivers. As such, they will have the same 11ms rate as the AR8000. So all know, the DX8 is 100% compatible with ALL our existing Aircraft and Marine receivers (AR- and MR-series) except for the original DSM type (AR6000/BR6000). You can receive telemetry data when using any of these with the TM1000/TM1100 modules, however only those receivers with a Data port will be able to provide the antenna data that is commonly associated with our Flight Log.

As for enabling both packs to be monitored, the initial release of the DX8 only allows for monitoring of the voltage fed to the TM and one other voltage. That is, if your servos are seeing 8.4V from the battery, we will display that. If you want to monitor the second pack, you will need to attach the Voltage sensor wires to the second pack.

I cannot answer questions about if/when updates will be released nor about what new features would be enabled with any updates.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:34 PM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
OK, thanks!

About monitoring both packs i guess that will be a coming feature then...
Since the new powerbox systems products support Spektrum telemetry as well...

The AR9200 will fit the bill, since its got dual aileron and aux1 output channels. (and dual rudder)
Using the DX8 Dual aileron wing type i can then have one aileron servo for each wing/2per side.
-If the dual aileron wingtype has the other aileron on the Aux1???
-Likewise which is the second channel when dual elevator, dual elevator/dual rudder tail types are used?
Or are they user selectable?

//Patrick
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:41 PM
Medium Rare
Sweden
Joined Jun 2010
111 Posts
Hey andy, about the lipo pack, i have a friend that use lipo in his tx, it allways tells him that it is 8 something volts and one day it just died when he was flying.
Is the DX8 better at pointing out how the lipo is doing? I dont want to risk crashing.
What typ of battery connector is in the dx? jst or servo?

Jacob
Svensson is offline Find More Posts by Svensson
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:44 PM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Patrick,

Welcome to RCGroups. I'm glad to hear you are planning on getting a DX8.

Thanks for the questions. I do not know the answers to the current loading questions. I will see if I can find answers for you, but you might want to check other sites for those. I'm sure there are modelers who have done tests and/or official information from the engineers who know.

The AR9100 and AR9200 receivers are both high-speed receivers. As such, they will have the same 11ms rate as the AR8000. So all know, the DX8 is 100% compatible with ALL our existing Aircraft and Marine receivers (AR- and MR-series) except for the original DSM type (AR6000/BR6000). You can receive telemetry data when using any of these with the TM1000/TM1100 modules, however only those receivers with a Data port will be able to provide the antenna data that is commonly associated with our Flight Log.

As for enabling both packs to be monitored, the initial release of the DX8 only allows for monitoring of the voltage fed to the TM and one other voltage. That is, if your servos are seeing 8.4V from the battery, we will display that. If you want to monitor the second pack, you will need to attach the Voltage sensor wires to the second pack.

I cannot answer questions about if/when updates will be released nor about what new features would be enabled with any updates.

Andy
Just to not get this wrong...
Are ALL the compatible DSM2 recievers ALSO 11ms capable?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 03:10 PM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
11ms capability is the same as 2048 capable.

all 2048 RXs are 11ms, all 11ms RXs are 2048.

any 1024 RX is not 11ms capable.
DannyZRC is offline Find More Posts by DannyZRC
Old Aug 30, 2010, 03:37 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAC_Sweden View Post
Using the DX8 Dual aileron wing type i can then have one aileron servo for each wing/2per side.
The DX8 "Dual Aileron" wing type provides 1 Right Aileron (in the Aileron position) and 1 Left Aileron (Aux1). It is not for 2 ailerons in the right wing and 2 in the left wing. To get 2 ailerons on the right wing and 2 on the left wing, you would need to select 2 Ail/2 Flap wing type and then mix Aileron to Left Flap. In that mode, the Left Flap would on the Gear channel and the Right Flap would be on Aux 2.

You can also mix flap back into left aileron if you want to move the whole TE at the same time in either same/opposite directions at will.

Quote:
-Likewise which is the second channel when dual elevator, dual elevator/dual rudder tail types are used?
It depends on the wing type you select. If you have it configured such as for 4 ailerons as noted above, the second elevator or rudder would be on Aux 3.

The radio is a little smart about how it sets up these dual tail configurations.

Quote:
Or are they user selectable?
No, that's reserved for the DX10t.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:17 PM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
Andy,

Sorry if I was not really clear...
My solution for the ailerons is through the AR9200 which provides 4 outputs on dual AIL and AUX1 channels. Still only 2 outputs from the tx logically.
(The AR9200 has dual outputs for AIL, RUD and AUX1 channels)
The servo sync (if needed) on the ailerons will be through direct programming of the servos. (the same goes for 2 rudder servos.)
Also since its 4 separate ailerons the sync is not as supercritical as if they were 2 on the same surface.
The two elevator servos will be syncd through the dual elevator function in the radio.
Through the AR9200 I only have to use 5 channels on 8 servos.
Leaves 3 channels for throttle, optical killswitch and smoke system.
(Manual choke)

Again thanx!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:33 PM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
11ms capability is the same as 2048 capable.

all 2048 RXs are 11ms, all 11ms RXs are 2048.

any 1024 RX is not 11ms capable.
Would be interesting if you could elaborate on this very clear explanation!
(Seriously)
Im referring to the first line, and how this works...

//Patrick
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:17 PM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
11ms frame rate is possible with any 2048 spektrum receiver

whenever they coded up their evolved receiver firmware for 2048, they probably had an eye to the future.

there is no magical explanation, it's as simple as I stated it : a 2048 receiver is required for 11ms frame rate.

this information is from back when the DX7SE launched, the only 11ms spektrum radio until the DX8 gets out there.
DannyZRC is offline Find More Posts by DannyZRC
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:37 PM
Medium Rare
Sweden
Joined Jun 2010
111 Posts
If i use the dx8 with a 2048 rx, what type of servo do i need to feel the diference?
I cant find info on the servo what typ of resolution it has or am i wrong?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:39 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAC_Sweden View Post
The servo sync (if needed) on the ailerons will be through direct programming of the servos. (the same goes for 2 rudder servos.)
Also since its 4 separate ailerons the sync is not as supercritical as if they were 2 on the same surface.
Ah, I see now.

It looks like you have a good setup then.

Danny's explanation on the 2048 is correct. The 11ms and 2048 resolution go together. Higher-end modelers are going to want both features, not one or the other alone, so that's what we made. The guys in charge happen to be high-end modelers, so....

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:41 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensson View Post
If i use the dx8 with a 2048 rx, what type of servo do i need to feel the diference?
I cant find info on the servo what typ of resolution it has or am i wrong?
The corresponding specification for a servo will be "deadband." You need a servo with < 1us deadband to get the difference. It will need to be a digital servo, as most if not all analog servos cannot handle 11ms signals. Usually these will be high-speed/high-voltage servos as well, and will be on the primary channels (aileron/elevator/rudder) rather than on the throttle or flaps or such.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:59 PM
Medium Rare
Sweden
Joined Jun 2010
111 Posts
So i cant use old servos with this radio?

Du you mean 1us or less or upp to what number? I can program some of my servos from 0us to 16us. Does "us" mean speed of the servo?

Sorry new to this