HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:06 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
This is what I see on page 17. "Flight-Mode Trim - When F-Mode is selected, each flight mode including hold has its own trims that are automatically active when that flight mode is selected."

How many and what are the different flight modes.
4 in Heli (Hold, Normal, Stunt 1, Stunt 2)

3 in Acro. They're how you use them on your model. It sounds like you want to have Land, Normal, and Aerobatics for your T-34.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:10 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
I see where it says any function can be moved to any switch, what do you do about the mislabeled switches then, that could be dangerous.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:14 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
4 in Heli (Hold, Normal, Stunt 1, Stunt 2)

3 in Acro. They're how you use them on your model. It sounds like you want to have Land, Normal, and Aerobatics for your T-34.

Andy
Yes, what I thought was my own brilliant idea, was already thought of and commisioned in the DX8. Is this an exclusive new feature for any radio?
VP
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:20 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,744 Posts
Quote:
I see where it says any function can be moved to any switch, what do you do about the mislabeled switches then, that could be dangerous.
VP
Not really. Set up all your planes the same way, preferably using the "standard" that others at your field use. For me, that means the switches are as labeled on the DX8.

Besides, you don't look at the switches while flying. Your fingers know where they are. They're just like the sticks - you don't have to think "is the left stick on this model rudder or aileron?"

Quote:
Yes, what I thought was my own brilliant idea, was already thought of and commisioned in the DX8. Is this an exclusive new feature for any radio?
No, it's a common feature in high-end radios. Even the "other guys" have similar functionalities.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:32 PM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
Quote:
That depends on what you consider "necessary" to be on your sailplane. The DX8 is not intended for sailplane pilots, but it can provide a significant amount of support. The DX8 can provide any 5 of the 7 standard glider functions using 6 P-mixes and pre-programmed mixes.

You probably want to wait for the the DX10t instead. It has sailplane programming in addition to power planes and helicopters.

Andy
Thanks Andy for the response, I think I will wait for the DX10!
Cheers,
Mcdyvie is offline Find More Posts by Mcdyvie
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:37 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Hi Andy,
I guess I would just leave the switches where they are. One last question. Can I add flap function to my "landing mode"?
VP
Old Aug 29, 2010, 05:11 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,744 Posts
You can set up flaps separately from or attached to the Flight Mode. If you want them tied together, select Flight Mode as the switch on the Flap System screen. If you want the separated, use another switch (Flap, for instance) instead.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:21 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
You can set up flaps separately from or attached to the Flight Mode. If you want them tied together, select Flight Mode as the switch on the Flap System screen. If you want the separated, use another switch (Flap, for instance) instead.

Andy
That is great! I can have 3 seperately trimmed modes, Take off and landing with flaps, medium speed flying, and high speed flying. What a bonus that feature is. Let me see if I can think of some more!
VP
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:33 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,727 Posts
Quote:
That is great! I can have 3 seperately trimmed modes, Take off and landing with flaps, medium speed flying, and high speed flying. What a bonus that feature is. Let me see if I can think of some more!
VP
Don't complicate your your job as a pilot too much! Even having two modes for flying means that you have to remember which mode you are in. This is the problem with plain old dual rates. Just about everybody who has used them has had the experience of discovering that he's in low rate when needing lots of elevator to complete a maneuver (the classic "figure-9" result!). Similarly with flight modes. My advice would be at least to make sure you only have moderately different modes -- like say 70% and 100% rates. This is one of the reasons I have come to use expo more than dual rate, because you don't have to think about it and full throw is always there, even though control is smoothed out around the middle.

And note Andy's advice to standardize so you don't have to work to remember how this particular model is set up. This means similar setups with respect to switches and what they do. It also means that in broad terms the flight modes serve the same function in each model. Fine tuning, yes, but as far as possible the same logic and application.

In short, all these capabilities should make flying easier, more precise and more fun. Overused or misused they can do the opposite. That said, I love tinkering with them!
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:43 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Don't complicate your your job as a pilot too much! Even having two modes for flying means that you have to remember which mode you are in. This is the problem with plain old dual rates. Just about everybody who has used them has had the experience of discovering that he's in low rate when needing lots of elevator to complete a maneuver (the classic "figure-9" result!). Similarly with flight modes. My advice would be at least to make sure you only have moderately different modes -- like say 70% and 100% rates. This is one of the reasons I have come to use expo more than dual rate, because you don't have to think about it and full throw is always there, even though control is smoothed out around the middle.

And note Andy's advice to standardize so you don't have to work to remember how this particular model is set up. This means similar setups with respect to switches and what they do. It also means that in broad terms the flight modes serve the same function in each model. Fine tuning, yes, but as far as possible the same logic and application.

In short, all these capabilities should make flying easier, more precise and more fun. Overused or misused they can do the opposite. That said, I love tinkering with them!
Thanks for the advice, at this point I am only intersted in setting up 3 modes, Landing, Medium speed, and High speed. except for adding the flaps to slow speed, I will only have small amounts of trim set differently. I am still flying on low rates only.
VP
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:48 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,523 Posts
Andy

Without giving away to much how much in % would the DX10 be over the DX8 ? .
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:38 PM
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
so when is a fuel sensor and a GPS coming to spektrum telemetry like hitec has already done with their telemetry system??????
Danyal is offline Find More Posts by Danyal
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:00 PM
Medium Rare
Sweden
Joined Jun 2010
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyal View Post
so when is a fuel sensor and a GPS coming to spektrum telemetry like hitec has already done with their telemetry system??????
Just what i wounder
Svensson is offline Find More Posts by Svensson
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:40 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,744 Posts
Go back through the previous pages. You will find that I'll never answer pricing or availability questions. I'll also neither confirm nor deny anything about possible future products. Ask me technical questions, like "how do I ___" or "can it ____" instead, and I'll be happy to answer.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:07 AM
Deutschland, Bayern, München
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
Can you tell me the specific name of the battery connector built in DX7/8. I tried to contact Horizonhobby support in Germany but they were not able to tell me. I would like to get one for external charging.
tachy kard is offline Find More Posts by tachy kard