HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:42 PM
United States, NJ, Mt Holly
Joined Mar 2009
174 Posts
Anyone know when they'll actully be available. My LHS was telling me today, then last week changed to 9/5 and today they told me 9/16.
Sea Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Sea Monkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:06 PM
Medium Rare
Sweden
Joined Jun 2010
111 Posts
I think they should get the radio in order and make it work before they promise any release date. I'm kinda angry now.
Svensson is offline Find More Posts by Svensson
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:06 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutt View Post
I have just had a look at the DX8 manual and it says the built in charger will take 10 to 12 hours for a full charge, what happens if you want to go flying at short notice ?
I cant believe you have to charge over night for flying the next day !
I always get a spare battery and rotate them in the radio. That way if a battery runs out at the field I just switch batteries and charge the dead one when I get home.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:14 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
^ Yes I currently do the same. I'll be getting a couple of LiPo packs for the DX8, when the LiPo TX packs are available for a reasonable price and hopefully have a balance lead.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:33 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensson View Post
I think they should get the radio in order and make it work before they promise any release date. I'm kinda angry now.
And how do you know that they have not done exactly that? They have waited a long time to provide a release date for the DX8, more than typical products. I think they were indeed getting right before releasing it.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:44 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,466 Posts
Quote:
I have just had a look at the DX8 manual and it says the built in charger will take 10 to 12 hours for a full charge, what happens if you want to go flying at short notice ?
I cant believe you have to charge over night for flying the next day !
The first charge of a NiMH really needs to be a trickle charge, so that the cells are all leveled off nicely. I ruined an brand new NiMH pack 9 years ago by fast charging it right away, when the cells had different starting votages.

If you cannot stand waiting overnight for the first flight, get the details of the TX pack and have a spare NiMH pack already charged and waiting to go, or a lipo charged and waiting to go.

Historically, radios have always come with overnight chargers as the stock offering. Most modellers have varos charging options if they do not want to wait overnight, once the cells are ready to be fast charged.

Mine will likely get an overnight trickle charge after I bring it home, and a flight the next afternoon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:47 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,466 Posts
Quote:
The DX8 is "The worlds most advanced 8-Channel Radio" surely you should not have to take out the battery to charge it !
You only have to take it out if you want to fast charge it....standard industry practice when the charging circuit for the slow charger that comes with the radio is built into the TX.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2010, 01:50 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Any info on battery compartment dimensions?
This should probably fit right?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Receiver_Pack_
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:46 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Thanks Andy
Just a couple more questions, Are the NiMH's in a pack and what kind of connector does it have? Could you still charge the pack externally with a smart charger?
VP

PS I do this alot, I dont realize I am at the end of a page, and then ask a question that might have already been answered on the next page I hadnt seen. It would be nice if there was a "More Posts on next page" flag.
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Last edited by Victory Pete; Aug 29, 2010 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Didnt notice there was another page
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:02 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,340 Posts
The NiMH's are in a welded pack. It uses the same connector as is in a DX7. You can still charge it externally with a smart charger. Like others said, you would do well to charge it slowly for the first charge.

With a 2S LiPo pack that is slow charged most of the time and slowly discharged all the time and intended to be charged by the charger in the radio, a balance lead is not necessary.

There IS a "more posts" flag. Just above the quick reply box at the bottom of each page. Look on the right side. You see the set of numbers? If the last number is followed by a right arrow > symbol then there are more on the next page.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:19 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Andy, would you be so kind and measure the battery compartment dimensions and post them here.
Much obliged!
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:17 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The NiMH's are in a welded pack. It uses the same connector as is in a DX7. You can still charge it externally with a smart charger. Like others said, you would do well to charge it slowly for the first charge.

With a 2S LiPo pack that is slow charged most of the time and slowly discharged all the time and intended to be charged by the charger in the radio, a balance lead is not necessary.

There IS a "more posts" flag. Just above the quick reply box at the bottom of each page. Look on the right side. You see the set of numbers? If the last number is followed by a right arrow > symbol then there are more on the next page.

Andy
Thanks again Andy,
I look forward to charging my pack in the DX8 when it arrives. I knew about the page numbers and the > symbol, I just dont always notice it. I have a question about a feature that might not exist, on any radio. How about a 3 position master trim switch, so you could set your trims for 3 different conditions such as no throttle (landing), mid throttle and full throttle. It seems to me setting the trims is always a compromise especially with motor RPM's.
VP
PS You could also have flaps added in the no throttle (landing) position.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:24 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
How about a 3 position master trim switch, so you could set your trims for 3 different conditions such as no throttle (landing), mid throttle and full throttle.
When you say "no throttle, mid throttle and full throttle" do you mean three different trim settings so low throttle will give: (1) as slow as possible while maintaining reliable idle, (2) normal idle for maneuvers such as stall turn, and (3) a high idle setting whose purpose isn't obvious to me. Or do you mean controlling throttle with a switch instead of the stick? Just trying to understand what you want to accomplish and how you'd use it.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Aug 29, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:55 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
Will this radio provide all the programming "necessary" for a full-house glider? I am thinking of purchasing this radio, but want to be sure that it can handle the most demanding of sail plane needs. Though I only fly the Radian now (haha), I intend to get my first full house glider shortly after purchasing my next TX (this one??). I want it to be able to last for years...

Thanks in advance,
Mcdyvie is offline Find More Posts by Mcdyvie
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:13 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
When you say "no throttle, mid throttle and full throttle" do you mean three different trim settings so low throttle will give: (1) as slow as possible while maintaining reliable idle, (2) normal idle for maneuvers such as stall turn, and (3) a high idle setting whose purpose isn't obvious to me. Just trying to understand what you want to accomplish and how you'd use it.
Okay, the trims would be for all 4 stick channels. You could set all your trims while flying at full throttle, they get stored in the up position of this switch. Now you set all your trims at half throttle, they get stored in the mid position. Finally you set all trims for no or low throttle, like when you are landing, they get stored in the down position of the switch. With this system your trims would be fine tuned to your RPM's which I have found to have a big effect on how a plane needs to be trimmed. For example at WOT my T-34 wants to roll to the left, so you can add right trim. But with no throtttle for landing I dont want any aileron trim so it will come in nice and level.
VP

PS My planes are electric