Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 14, 2011, 04:23 PM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
I understand that but if I have a couple packs and ONLY plan to charge externally just like any other LIPOs then it should not be a problem should it? I would not be charging it in the transmitter.
I beleave the Spektrum LiPo pack is designed to be used together with the internal charger. As Andy wrote its got circuits for balancing and over charge protection.
Non Spektrum LiPo, charge as You would normally do using Your regular chargers...outside the Tx, no problem!
IMAC_Sweden is offline Find More Posts by IMAC_Sweden
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2011, 04:24 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
LOL... tell you what. Visit your local LHS and try one out. I have yet to hear of a mythical way to tell if the radio has any glitches with out using it..... but you may sleep better at night if you buy it there.
To answer your questions, My first rx had the "glitches" and it came back better then new...this one shows none of that so far flying the exact same 48" Extreme Flight Edge.

Have not had a chance to use it on my Align 550 since they,(HH) have my first TX & RX,gyro,tail servo...

Was told that they would like to keep it till "the folks across the street" get back from KNOLL to look at it..
There was no hostility, I asked if you experienced any of the issues reported in this thread. I hope you can understand a beginner can be easily made to be nervous about a radio when he sees a thread with a lot of complaints. I also understand with most products the people with issues tend to be the most vocal and the majority of happy users are out using the product without the time to post how awesome it is. You offer a great price and I will get back to you after a visit to the LHS.

Thanks.
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old May 14, 2011, 04:30 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Not a problem. Infact before you buy any radio why don't you grab your favorite receiver-Yes even a 6100e or (god forbid) 6200 and bring it along and I'll bind it up to my EF 48" Edge and let you give her a whirl at my private field.... then I insist you head home and think about it for 48 hrs.
Or you can fly it as is on a HK orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
There was no hostility, I asked if you experienced any of the issues reported in this thread. I hope you can understand a beginner can be easily made to be nervous about a radio when he sees a thread with a lot of complaints. I also understand with most products the people with issues tend to be the most vocal and the majority of happy users are out using the product without the time to post how awesome it is. You offer a great price and I will get back to you after a visit to the LHS.

Thanks.
boatdoc is offline Find More Posts by boatdoc
Old May 14, 2011, 04:43 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy hanson View Post
I simply can find no fault with the stock 2000ma NIMH setup - I have one DX8 using ENELOOPs (latest permutation) and the other using std cells - either will fly an entire weekend -
Not sure how my batt holds up aint used it enuf to find out. Im sure its fine for me too if I could trust the radio enuf to use the dam thing
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old May 14, 2011, 04:46 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Also, there is a different firmware in the RF deck. I have seen at least 3 different version markings on the RF module over the months on different radios (on pictures, on mine and my buddy's). And that seems to be the problem, and because of that some TXs work fine and some have issues with 6200 RXs. Just my 2ct.
Can u post a pic or several pics of diff numbers. Need to see this crap. Might be the deal breaker right there.
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old May 14, 2011, 05:23 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAC_Sweden View Post
Escapes me why everyone is going crazy over "non issues" like the battery...?
Why do mods that are not needed? (What happens to warranty?)
The original 2000 NiMh pack lasts very very long...You cannot drain it in a days flying no matter how much You fly or try. Pure digital radio + 2.4 draws almost nothing.
If Your worried get the custom 4000 LiPo pack and You can fly for weeks without charging.

Dont re-build Your radios risking safety or void your warranties, just buy a LiPo or more safe and easy: the Spektrum LiPo!
The battery is not a non-issue. You only have 2 choices the way they ship it:

1. Use the marginal quality stock battery with the provided charger that abuses it.

2. Pay $70 for a lipo battery that takes 20 hours to charge and shouldn't be left at full charge for extended periods of time.

My solution is simple and elegant. It's nothing more than a jack installed on the battery door that splices into the stock battery. This gives me the ability to:

1. Capacity check the battery at the beginning of each season.

2. Never over charge the battery which has caused melted plastic.

3. Charge the battery on the way to the flying field if I have a sudden schedule change.

4. If I wire up the 3rd pin then I can install any cheap lipo (which I wouldn't want to do because eneloops work better) and balance charge it externally.

5. No need to mess with more chargers and cables and such.

As far as the warranty goes, I'll simply order a spare battery door. If the TX needs service, I'll install the new battery door and mail it in. No big deal.

Anyway, if you want to pay $70 or a lipo or mess with a 10 hour abusive charger, then that's great, but I'm not interested.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old May 14, 2011, 05:30 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
I don't know how long you guys fly for but if I fly Saturday and forget to charge overnight I'm screwed on Sunday. 4 or 5 solid hours of flying and my battery is pretty low.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old May 14, 2011, 05:33 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,458 Posts
It takes me several days on constant-on use to discharge the NiMH pack at work. You should easily get 15 hours from a DX8 charge.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 14, 2011, 05:36 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
yeah, the stock pack is way more then enough for me, lasts pretty long, however the internal charger does heat the battery up pretty good.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old May 14, 2011, 06:02 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
Can u post a pic or several pics of diff numbers. Need to see this crap. Might be the deal breaker right there.
My buddy's has "V14" written on the RF module. On mine there is "V15", both handwritten.

Why bother using LiPo packs ? I have made a second pack from Eneloops, so there is always a spare in my TX case.
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old May 14, 2011, 06:22 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Yea +1 on the stock battery setup. I typically charge mine overnight once a week and have had no issues.
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief
Old May 14, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizchief View Post
Yea +1 on the stock battery setup. I typically charge mine overnight once a week and have had no issues.
exactly what i do, does yours get pretty warm when on the charger?
Old May 14, 2011, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Gets warm, but not hot.
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief
Old May 14, 2011, 06:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
mine doesnt get "hot", but it gets warmer then typical "aa" size nimh cells that I charge.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:30 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Why bother using LiPo packs ? I have made a second pack from Eneloops, so there is always a spare in my TX case.
It was just as easy if not easier getting the lipo pack then it would have been to make a second AA cell pack (for me). If the higher capacity was something you were or are looking for then NOTHING wrong with using the lipo pack.

If the stock or NiMh pack does the job and or suit your needs then go for it.

This is one aspect that I think there is not really a winner or loser. Since the radio is designed to use both it also has safety features to avoid certain situation that are specific with lipo.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip