HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2011, 06:48 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Karl - How you like the DX8 compared the the DX6i? you pick it up locally?
Unless you really need 8 channels, you might want to check out the new dx7. It seems to have a lot of the same features but $100 less. However you would be in the early adopter phase, and while hopefully they solved the issues with the dx8, your risking it having issues.

I think the upgrade was worth it. I like the voltage sensor more than anything because I fly all electric. I still use the timer in case something goes wrong with the sensor, but it's really nice being able to fly the pack down right to your comfortable voltage.
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 06:58 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Tell them the label's OK, just ask for a new car to go with it

Andy
Too funny, fits this thread for sure Andy.
Brian T.
GBRellic is offline Find More Posts by GBRellic
Old May 11, 2011, 07:07 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
Thanks very much for the offer! I finally got around to adding my location, I'm a bit too far for a drive, I'll go ahead and pull the trigger this weekend if my LHS has them in stock.

Thanks.
No prob. I hope it works out for you.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old May 11, 2011, 09:23 PM
Australia, New South Wales
Joined Feb 2011
206 Posts
Quote:
So a couple of questions from a beginner looking to purchase a good radio before moving on non-trainer planes..

Are there any gadgets that show mah used?

Thanks.
There is a telemetry unit in the Telemetry section of the Hobby King site that mentions something about mah, made by Quannum.

I know nothing about it, but just thought of it when I read your post.

Bart
bart70 is offline Find More Posts by bart70
Old May 11, 2011, 09:35 PM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlines View Post
OK. I have a Question and or Request..
I was flying this weekend and my TX alarmed a few times.. I landed to see if anything was wrong.. Everything was back to normal..

Where or how can you see what the problem was.. Signal issue?? the highs and lows were all OK.. temp and all was good!!

Try this again.. Is there something I am not doing to know what alarms went off???
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old May 11, 2011, 09:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
206 Posts
DX8 With OrangeRX Receivers

Folks,

Looking for any feedback or experience from DX8 users using OrangeRX products with their DX8.

I know that Spektrum strongly say not to use them with any of their TX's (But with all due respect to them I sort of think their view is not entirely impartial ) although I respect and accept their stance.

What I am looking for is any experience/issues/failures good/bad from users of the various OrangeRX products using their DX8.

Bart
Old May 11, 2011, 09:50 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
So nobody around here with small hands have a lot of experience with the DX8?
I have what I would consider small hands for a guy. Of all the under $1000 transmitters I used (lots and lots), the DX8 is one of my favorites (hence why I purchased it).

To give you an idea of hand size. If I stretch out my hand and measure from the tip of my thumb to the edge of my pinky on a ruler I get a span of exactly 9". Looking down at my hand while doing this, if you drew a line straight across from my thumb to little finger it would be completely straight (years of playing the piano and keyboards).

Now with that said I fly without a strap or tray. I fly with thumbs 90% of the time. I can fly with a modified pinch grip but with smallish hands it gets uncomfortable holding the radio while pinching. Flying using only thumbs I can hold the transmitter all day and fly and it's completely comfortable to me.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions just ask.

Carlo
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old May 11, 2011, 10:17 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart70 View Post
Folks,

Looking for any feedback or experience from DX8 users using OrangeRX products with their DX8.

I know that Spektrum strongly say not to use them with any of their TX's (But with all due respect to them I sort of think their view is not entirely impartial ) although I respect and accept their stance.

What I am looking for is any experience/issues/failures good/bad from users of the various OrangeRX products using their DX8.

Bart
I'm interested in this question as well, though my thoughts have sort of been if I'm going to spend ~400$ for a radio I may as well buck up and get good receivers. It would be nice to have this answered to know if they're a good/cheap option cheap planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
I have what I would consider small hands for a guy. Of all the under $1000 transmitters I used (lots and lots), the DX8 is one of my favorites (hence why I purchased it).

To give you an idea of hand size. If I stretch out my hand and measure from the tip of my thumb to the edge of my pinky on a ruler I get a span of exactly 9". Looking down at my hand while doing this, if you drew a line straight across from my thumb to little finger it would be completely straight (years of playing the piano and keyboards).

Now with that said I fly without a strap or tray. I fly with thumbs 90% of the time. I can fly with a modified pinch grip but with smallish hands it gets uncomfortable holding the radio while pinching. Flying using only thumbs I can hold the transmitter all day and fly and it's completely comfortable to me.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions just ask.

Carlo
This helps a lot thanks, I just measured mine and same span you mentioned is a tad over 8 inches. So yeah I have chick hands apparently, don't judge!

Thanks.
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old May 11, 2011, 11:57 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,378 Posts
Ok Im not admitting anything but mine is very comfortable.No fatigue but I do fly with a strap.I did swap the gear switch and trainer button because I gotta have a nice trainer button in the perfect location and this made it happen.The sticks were fine by me out of the box.Its noticably a bit bigger than the DX7 and the sticks are just a bit farther apart but I like it so far.I might put some of those spikey knobs on it before winter again but other than that its layed out rather well IMO.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old May 12, 2011, 12:14 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Yea, as an instructor in my club I'm not a fan of the trainer switch. Kind of a goofy place to have a push button type switch. I'm seriously thinking of relocating the trainer button to the back of the case right behind the throttle/rudder stick but slightly above that. Right where it would be easy to hold with my first finger. To me that would be so much more comfortable.

Andy, would a change like that void the warranty? Pretty sure it would but worth asking.

Carlo
Old May 12, 2011, 12:38 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
Yea, as an instructor in my club I'm not a fan of the trainer switch. Kind of a goofy place to have a push button type switch. I'm seriously thinking of relocating the trainer button to the back of the case right behind the throttle/rudder stick but slightly above that. Right where it would be easy to hold with my first finger. To me that would be so much more comfortable.

Andy, would a change like that void the warranty? Pretty sure it would but worth asking.

Carlo
Just swap the gear and trainer button I promise you wont be disappointed.Once you take the back off you will see how simple it is.The toughest part is to find a spanner that fits the slits in the switchnut.The ones I have were a bit fat.You really dont want to grab and turn them with pliers or something and jack the nice chrome up.Mine hasnt been in for service yet so Ill see what they say when it shows up with the swap.Each switch/button has wire leads going to them with ample slack for a clean relocate.I dont really see that as a modification per se.Drilling a hole is kinda pushing it.I really like mine.I use my middle finger for trainer and my index is free to work any other switches.And I do fly thumbs mostly.Its very comfortable for me.Even more than the toggle on my old Futabas.Like a cadillac over the DX7 but thats not saying much.
Old May 12, 2011, 12:43 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,378 Posts
Andy.
I asked before about a Rx and TM being bound to different Txs operating as one unit in a model.No good.
Ok I wonder how about 2 seperate Rxs bound to seperate Txs mounted in the same model with no common hard connections? What if one or both had a TM attached? If the answer is also no what would be too close of proximity?
This question has come up a few times.One with a scale guy that wants to do a pilot/copilot setup with Spek.He did it with 72 before and had minor issues to work around making it work.None of us were sure how
it may go with 2.4 specifically Spek.There are 2 guys doing piggyback glider lifting.When the glider is mounted on the towplane I figured the 2 Rx are about 3 inches apart.Is there an issue with having 2 Rx systems working too close to each other?
Old May 12, 2011, 12:59 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Just swap the gear and trainer button I promise you wont be disappointed.Once you take the back off you will see how simple it is.The toughest part is to find a spanner that fits the slits in the switchnut.The ones I have were a bit fat.You really dont want to grab and turn them with pliers or something and jack the nice chrome up.Mine hasnt been in for service yet so Ill see what they say when it shows up with the swap.Each switch/button has wire leads going to them with ample slack for a clean relocate.I dont really see that as a modification per se.Drilling a hole is kinda pushing it.I really like mine.I use my middle finger for trainer and my index is free to work any other switches.And I do fly thumbs mostly.Its very comfortable for me.Even more than the toggle on my old Futabas.Like a cadillac over the DX7 but thats not saying much.
Yea, I guess I should give this a try before doing something drastic.

Thanks for the tip,
Carlo
Old May 12, 2011, 02:19 AM
Joined Feb 2011
206 Posts
Quote:
I'm interested in this question as well, though my thoughts have sort of been if I'm going to spend ~400$ for a radio I may as well buck up and get good receivers. It would be nice to have this answered to know if they're a good/cheap option cheap planes.

Thanks.
Agreed - But I have a number of small foamy and parkflyer type planes that are only worth less than half that of a genuine Spektrum Rx. I flew these previously on $15 36Mhz Rx's and don't fancy forking out big $$ for $20 worth of plane

Also, I have had an incident using an OrangeRX Rx with a satelite and my DX8 on its 3rd flight and am curious to know if others have had issues as well. The plane was only a $20 foamy and was being used as a 'crash test' dummy while I got used to the DX8.

Happy to accept it was the Rx, just curious to know what others experience has been. Others around me have been using OrangeRX with Spektrum for a long time and had no issues.

Bart
Last edited by bart70; May 12, 2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old May 12, 2011, 04:27 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,067 Posts
Spektrum AFAIK haven't yet released a current sensor for their telemetry system. The Quanum is a stand alone unit that works well. It's got a couple of threads that will tell you all you need to know. Suggest you start with this one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267361

They came back in stock a few hours ago and are all sold out already! Many people find they are a neat solution. You buy the current (has temperature as well) sensor as an add on. The lightweight aerial is also recommended. The version they are now selling is V3 although it says v2 on the item and in HK's site. V3 has alarms you can set for voltage or mAh capacity (used/left % or actual). The settable alarm level is a critical improvement on earlier versions.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart70 View Post
There is a telemetry unit in the Telemetry section of the Hobby King site that mentions something about mah, made by Quannum.

I know nothing about it, but just thought of it when I read your post.

Bart
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604