HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2011, 09:12 PM
Heli Driver
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2004
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedericoA View Post
Would like to buy a spektrum dx8 but i amm a bit scared....i have heard lots of complaints about signal not working properly.....some software does not work also...dsmx tecnology is not working as desired...the signal is very poor....and so on....
Well i have 1 DX 7 ( Always work perfectly ) n.2 dx6i ( working perfectly never a complain ) N.1 FUTABA FF9 ( working perfectly since 8 years almost )....

What do you suggest....taking the dx8 with the last upgrade software and tecnology....or FUTABA FF 10.....( but herd complaints on thi radio also.....)

It is incredible that all those new radios have so many problems....why they put in shops if they are not set to work properly ???
I have had no control, binding or range issues with my DX8. The only thing that bugged me was having to send it in to get the RF firmware updated to allow loading airware 2.0. It has been easy to program and feels good in my hands.

I've had it since December. Used Ar500, Ar600, AR6200, AR7000 and Ar8000 receivers with it. Some powered by Life 6.6v batteries, others by 4.8v NiMH. The only thing I noticed is that once in a while, after turning on the transmitter then switching on the receiver the two do not connect. It requires that I turn off the receiver and back on once. This has always resulted in the connection working. I've noticed it on the Ar6200, Ar7000 and Ar8000. Does not happen very often, maybe once in 3 weekends of flying. Never noticed the behavior with my DX6i after a couple of years of flying it.
GehrBox is offline Find More Posts by GehrBox
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2011, 09:41 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Dx8 & Servo "Jitterbug Dance"

I've been a Spektrum user fan for many years now. But the last two DX8's are starting to wear me out.

This is just a small part of my DX8 Spektrum problems in the last month.
As of this date my first DX8 is at Spektrum along with the receiver and a JR gyro & Servo.......

Here is a video of my latest fiasco... 2 month old DX8 bought to use why'll HH figure out whats wrong with my first one. (second time back to the shop)

New DX8 & Brand new hours old Spektrum 3040 servos & AR7000

http://youtu.be/6I6iYPpZh5E
boatdoc is offline Find More Posts by boatdoc
Last edited by boatdoc; May 06, 2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old May 06, 2011, 09:43 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Just as a side note it does get worse if my iphone is any where near it???
Old May 06, 2011, 09:57 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,594 Posts
So I guess your saying it does not do this with another tx other then the dx8.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 06, 2011, 10:08 PM
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
DX8 destroyed my ......

Lost control of my EZ Star, found it no real damage. Then lost control of my new quadcopter, major damage. I am done with the DX8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedericoA View Post
Would like to buy a spektrum dx8 but i amm a bit scared....i have heard lots of complaints about signal not working properly.....some software does not work also...dsmx tecnology is not working as desired...the signal is very poor....and so on....
Well i have 1 DX 7 ( Always work perfectly ) n.2 dx6i ( working perfectly never a complain ) N.1 FUTABA FF9 ( working perfectly since 8 years almost )....

What do you suggest....taking the dx8 with the last upgrade software and tecnology....or FUTABA FF 10.....( but herd complaints on thi radio also.....)

It is incredible that all those new radios have so many problems....why they put in shops if they are not set to work properly ???
R.Murphy is offline Find More Posts by R.Murphy
Old May 06, 2011, 10:25 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Had a friend from the field bring his dx7 over and the servos are working fine..
I wont have a chance to actualy fly it with the DX7 till my 16 stitches from my Trex 500 are removed..... whole nother story and another DX8.

HH has that radio,receiver,gyro,servo.
They got very,very helpfull when they found out theres a video of the Heli loosing tail control at a 6' hover.. and of course just about that time I ran out of talent and it managed to bite me in the leg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
So I guess your saying it does not do this with another tx other then the dx8.
Old May 06, 2011, 10:48 PM
Bath, PA
Joined Nov 2001
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
I've been a Spektrum user fan for many years now. But the last two DX8's are starting to wear me out.

As of this date my first DX8 is at Spektrum along with the receiver and a JR gyro & Servo.......

Here is a video of my latest fiasco... 2 month old DX8 bought to use why'll HH figure out whats wrong with my first one. (second time back to the shop)

Boatdoc, have you ever used digital servos before? What you show in the video is not uncommon. I have a 1/3 scale extra with high end JR Digital servos that do the same thing. It is actually because the dead band is so NARROW. They will not do that under load. It is not a problem with the DX8. I had the behavior using a Futaba 9Z and then when I upgraded to the JR 9303. Do some checking around and you will see other posts. I just put a rubber band on the lower part of my rudder to keep a little tension on it. If you even had stiff hinges, it most likely not exhibit that behavior. If you don't believe me, get a buddies Futaba radio and give it a shot.

Cheers!
Lee
lsnover is offline Find More Posts by lsnover
Old May 07, 2011, 12:50 AM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Lee, I dont even know what to say to that..........................
Old May 07, 2011, 01:10 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2005
323 Posts
Quote:

Have you looked at the rudder channel display on your DX8 (via the monitor view) when you move the rudder stick (not the rudder itself). Would be good to see whether the rudder channel is showing significant variation around centre (see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404818) - this would help to isolate the issue.
boltor is offline Find More Posts by boltor
Last edited by boltor; May 07, 2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old May 07, 2011, 01:51 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
You're manually throwing the servo off when doing that. Not unusual for cheaper digitals to do that. What you are manually doing would not happen in the real world. What is important, how does the servos work when controlled from the transmitter?
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old May 07, 2011, 02:33 AM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Hum.......
Maybe it's just me and maybe the video doen't do it justice.. But I've never seen ANY servo cheap-digital or other wise do what these do.

please note where I posted that they dont do it when bound to the DX7?????

Somebody please take a video of ANY servo doing that!!! To be honest I'm a little suprised a few seem to think this is normal?????

What the video does not show is the times the rudder or ail just flicks sitting there with no input at all.

The DX8 monitor screen does not show the small vibrations only the bigger ones. What gets me is they dont do it(as I posted earlier with the dx7).
Old May 07, 2011, 02:37 AM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Manual-real world or other wise if my control surface isn't rock steady when returning to neutral then something is wrong.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
You're manually throwing the servo off when doing that. Not unusual for cheaper digitals to do that. What you are manually doing would not happen in the real world. What is important, how does the servos work when controlled from the transmitter?
Old May 07, 2011, 02:39 AM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Please watch the video more carefully and you can easily see where where the ail. stutters as it's returning to center when using the stick.
You can also plainly see that the rudder shutters around center when it's moved with the rx.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
Old May 07, 2011, 04:45 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Hum.......
Maybe it's just me and maybe the video doen't do it justice.. But I've never seen ANY servo cheap-digital or other wise do what these do.

please note where I posted that they dont do it when bound to the DX7?????
I think you'll find they WILL do the same plugged into the DX7. Hmm, maybe not. What receiver is in that plane and is the DX8 in DSM2 mode or DSMX mode? Not all digital servos are "quality" enough to be ran in DSMX mode as the frame rate is twice that of DSM2 mode.

Just food for thought. But just so you know, I've seen many planes like that on the ground but they don't do that in the air once there is a bit of tension or air pressure on them.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old May 07, 2011, 06:09 AM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Somebody please take a video of ANY servo doing that!!! To be honest I'm a little suprised a few seem to think this is normal?????
I can top that. Check this out.

video-2010-08-07-10-13-14.3gp (1 min 50 sec)

These were brand new Voltec Micro servos VTS-70MG from the Precionaerobatics IPA for the Addiction. The transmitter was my DX6I.

There was no way I was going to fly that plane with that happening on the bench. Those servos went out immediately, replaced with HS65MGs and still flying with those.

My experience on this tells me that it's the servos, most definitely not the transmitter. I fly everything on my DX8 now, no signs of problems.

I am not saying that there isnít a problem with the DX8, I had my own and it's been repaired.

I am not saying to fly the plane with those servos, I never would. That is definitely not normal.

But, I don't think this can be blamed on the DX8
mirored is offline Find More Posts by mirored