SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:44 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkYakRC View Post
I would really like to get the DX8 with telemetry. Does anyone know if I need to buy all new recivers to use the telemetry or just add the telemetry module?
You can use it with any of the AR- or MR-series receivers except the AR6000 (original DSM rx). If your rx does not have a Data Port ("Bind/Data" vs. "Bind") then you will not get the Flight Log data, but you will be able to get the sensor data.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:30 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You can use it with any of the AR- or MR-series receivers except the AR6000 (original DSM rx). If your rx does not have a Data Port ("Bind/Data" vs. "Bind") then you will not get the Flight Log data, but you will be able to get the sensor data.

Andy
That is great, I have 2 planes with the AR6200 Rx's, so I will use the battery/bind port? I will have real time telemetry but not the flight log data, correct? The flight log data is what you would see after the flight?
Thanks
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:34 AM
Campinas - Sao Paulo - Brazil
Joined Jul 2008
81 Posts
The same question here.....
Metallica2000 is offline Find More Posts by Metallica2000
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:51 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,745 Posts
Bummer, my old AR 7000 only has a batt/bind plug. No bind/ data written on it. But that's OK. DX8 has more pluses than minuses

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:54 AM
Joined Jul 2008
81 Posts
But with AR6200, i can get the Volts telemetry ?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:00 AM
Deutschland, Bayern, München
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
I just read in a german shop that there will be no special sail plane programm coming with dx8 and that you will be able to download it later from HH. You will have to pay 5-10€ for this update. Is this true? We're going to pay for software upgrades?
tachy kard is offline Find More Posts by tachy kard
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:43 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica2000 View Post
But with AR6200, i can get the Volts telemetry ?
I think for telemetry only, all you need is a power source, which you get from the RX Bind/Bat plug. The telemetry module has its own TX. For logging, you need the Bind/Data port which saves the data to the receiver memory as well as suppling power to the telemetry module.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:48 AM
Joined Jul 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
I think for telemetry only, all you need is a power source, which you get from the RX Bind/Bat plug. The telemetry module has its own TX. For logging, you need the Bind/Data port which saves the data to the receiver memory as well as suppling power to the telemetry module.
I really hope so....

Because if is not, it doesnt make any sense you pay for expensive Radio like spektrum instead use a cheap hobby city telemtry like Quanum only to see the volts. I know that Dx8 cant see individuals cell yet, but at least a full Volts left on my battery...
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:48 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,492 Posts
Andy:

Will there be a pitot tube air speed sensor available?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:00 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
Andy:

Will there be a pitot tube air speed sensor available?
How about altitude?
VP
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:58 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,426 Posts
Re altitude, airspeed, and sailplane programming: We never give any information either way about any potential product ideas, so I simply won't answer those questions. If you see information on an official Horizon page, please post a link. We will not respond to "rumors" whether they appear on websites or magazine articles.

Quote:
The flight log data is what you would see after the flight?
The Flight Log data is what you see when you buy a Flight Log product SPM9540. It shows antenna performance (which is indicative of a good/bad installation). The difference is that with telemetry module attached instead of the SPM9540, you get it in real time on the tx LCD.

If your rx doesn't have a data port, you can still get receiver voltage since that is measured by the TM1000. The rx V is shown on the Flight Log telemetry screen, so what you'll see is "blank" Flight Log data but good rx battery data.

Quote:
For logging, you need the Bind/Data port which saves the data to the receiver memory as well as suppling power to the telemetry module.
The Data port is uni-directional and provides Flight Log data (ie, antenna performance) TO the TM1000. The data does not get saved anywhere.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:16 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Re altitude, airspeed, and sailplane programming: We never give any information either way about any potential product ideas, so I simply won't answer those questions. If you see information on an official Horizon page, please post a link. We will not respond to "rumors" whether they appear on websites or magazine articles.

The Flight Log data is what you see when you buy a Flight Log product SPM9540. It shows antenna performance (which is indicative of a good/bad installation). The difference is that with telemetry module attached instead of the SPM9540, you get it in real time on the tx LCD.

If your rx doesn't have a data port, you can still get receiver voltage since that is measured by the TM1000. The rx V is shown on the Flight Log telemetry screen, so what you'll see is "blank" Flight Log data but good rx battery data.

The Data port is uni-directional and provides Flight Log data (ie, antenna performance) TO the TM1000. The data does not get saved anywhere.

Andy
Okay, so when I get my backordered DX8 which could be in 2 weeks according to Horizons Website, with my 2 planes that have AR6200's, I can monitor: Main battery pack voltage and RF level? Will the displays be on the main screen readilly visible? Can you have the alarms set to any or all of them? That is really what I am interested in. What other sensors will come with it and what else will be options?
Thanks
VP
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:17 PM
Joined Jul 2008
81 Posts
Thanks for the information about telemetry.
But one question: for now, there´s no way to see individual cells of a battery pack ?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:23 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,492 Posts
Quote:

Andy
So, the Data port gives us antenna performance telemetry, what other Flight Log Data do we get using the Data port vs without a Data port?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica2000 View Post
Thanks for the information about telemetry.
But one question: for now, there´s no way to see individual cells of a battery pack ?
I am going to go out on a limb here, I dont think so, you would have to have a multitap measuring harness of some kind. What battery cells are you refering to?
VP