Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:45 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,426 Posts
No, it should be on solid. What type of cells are you using?

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:51 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Battery will be the stock Nimh pack it came with.

Radio is 2 weeks old. Already discovered the aileron calibration is out so was just boxing it up ready to return back to Horizon.

Just thought I might as well charge it up.

Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:02 PM
Russia,Moscow
Joined Jan 2007
145 Posts
Andy, could you please explain how the lost frames alarm is working? I have an alarm set to 10 lost frames, the radio gave me short vibes during flight without changing the display or making solid alarm, I suppose it was it, since I had about 70 lost during flight. So what it counts every 10 lost frames or 10 continious lost frames? Also while simulating hold alarms during bench testing I found that if you had one hold for example, and would stop the alarm with clear button it would be triggered again the next time the reciever would blink red again for the same single hold. Maybe it's better to have it triggered only when more holds occur and don't bother user for the same previous holds, can it be considered for the future correction? Sorry if I missed something on previous pages, this thread is getting hard to track.
vic_bull is offline Find More Posts by vic_bull
Last edited by vic_bull; Mar 10, 2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:22 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,426 Posts
Setting it to 10 means that it will trigger on 10 and re-trigger every time that increments.

What is "normal" depends heavily upon the type of receiver you are using and how you're flying it. Individual antenna losses (A, B, R, and L) can be quite high w/o degrading performance in flight, and a large number of frame losses (F) indicate that you probably want to re-orient your antennas.

The transmitter knows nothing about the blinking of the LED, but if your receiver is having a brownout then the hold counter will be reset to 0, and a new hold incrementing it to 1 will generate a hold alarm. Holds are only created by 44 consecutive frame losses, which on the bench is easiest to create by power-cycling the transmitter. Is that how you are doing it?

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:35 PM
Russia,Moscow
Joined Jan 2007
145 Posts
Yes, right just cycle the power of the TX. And my alarm was set to 1 hold. I get the alarm, cancel it with clear button and after a short time doing nothing get the same alarm again indicating of one hold and it seemed to me it happens when the receiver would show it with the red light. I would cancel again it and get one more. 8000/1000 DSMX. Btw is it ok to have 70 frames lost on each antenna in DSMX during 8 mins of flight?
vic_bull is offline Find More Posts by vic_bull
Last edited by vic_bull; Mar 10, 2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:41 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,426 Posts
It will not re-trigger the hold alarm unless

a) the telemetry goes out of range and comes back in (flying with a TM1100 this is frequent, or if working close to metal surfaces), or
b) the receiver resets (brownout) and then gets a subsequent hold.

Quote:
Btw is it ok to have 70 frames lost on each antenna ...
May I correct terminology a little?

A "fade" is when a single antenna does not hear a frame of data. These are the A, B, R and L parameters on the telemetry display. It is normal operation to see these as the model changes orientation during flight. How many you get are determined by distance, antenna orientation, i.e. basic environmental stuff.

A "frame loss" is when ALL antennas do not receive the SAME frame. This is the F parameter on the display. You will most likely never sense a single or even several in sequence while flying, but if you have a large number for F you may want to consider relocating your antennas.

A "hold" is when ALL antennas miss the SAME 44 CONSECUTIVE frames. Unless you're a glider guider, you probably know a hold when you have one - it's 1 second of no control.

Quote:
in DSMX during 8 mins of flight?
It depends on what you're flying, how you're flying, where you're flying, how you hold your transmitter, etc. I see 100 on some of my planes and don't consider it an issue.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2011, 06:59 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
730 Posts
Andy;

I did not want to bring it to this discussion, but I have asked the question of the support group in both a email and a call and have been ignored.

My question is this: I purchased the 4000 mil LiPo battery and installed it and set the proper type and suggested cut-off voltage. It and the system work fine, what my problem is I had it on the charger for over 70 hours and the blue light never went out. The instructions say it will and I have the concern about over charging the LiPo and the related problems. I did check the battery with a volt meter and it shows it fully charged. I also checked it with a LiPo charger and it said fully charged. I guess the question I keep asking and get no answer is: does the blue light go out and stay out when it is fully charged or not. The display shows only 8.1 volts. I purchased the LiPo system so that I could put it on the charger overnight and not worry about overcharging anything. Something you canít do with the 4.8 volt pack. This is a super unit, but I think Engineering kind of missed the boat when they built the charger in and didnít use a modern charging circuit.

Thanks for your help!!

L.
Cherokee Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:06 PM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer View Post
Andy;

I did not want to bring it to this discussion, but I have asked the question of the support group in both a email and a call and have been ignored.

My question is this: I purchased the 4000 mil LiPo battery and installed it and set the proper type and suggested cut-off voltage. It and the system work fine, what my problem is I had it on the charger for over 70 hours and the blue light never went out. The instructions say it will and I have the concern about over charging the LiPo and the related problems. I did check the battery with a volt meter and it shows it fully charged. I also checked it with a LiPo charger and it said fully charged. I guess the question I keep asking and get no answer is: does the blue light go out and stay out when it is fully charged or not. The display shows only 8.1 volts. I purchased the LiPo system so that I could put it on the charger overnight and not worry about overcharging anything. Something you canít do with the 4.8 volt pack. This is a super unit, but I think Engineering kind of missed the boat when they built the charger in and didnít use a modern charging circuit.

Thanks for your help!!

L.
I had (operative word) the same problem. I received a new LIPO from HH which fixed the problem. The transmitter was fine, which was my biggest concern, but it was a bad battery. I recommend contacting customer service. They helped me.
mirored is offline Find More Posts by mirored
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:09 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,426 Posts
As noted elsewhere in this and other threads as well as page 7 of the manual, the blue light goes out when the charger sees that a LiPo battery is full.

You CAN put the battery on charge overnight with the NiMH pack and not worry about it - the charger drops to a trickle automatically when the NiMH pack is full. The charge light DOES stay on because it IS still charging, albeit at a non-damaging 1/10C rate (or lower).

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:10 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirored View Post
I had (operative word) the same problem. I received a new LIPO from HH which fixed the problem. The transmitter was fine, which was my biggest concern, but it was a bad battery. I recommend contacting customer service. They helped me.
I remember reading that the LiPo battery also has some circuitry built in to aid in charging. Is this correct?
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:47 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,303 Posts
I purchased a DX8 today! Are there any settings files available for the E-flite T34 trainer, and / or the E-flite Extra 300 32e?

Mine has a DSM2 sticker but it's at software version 2.01
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:47 PM
USA, AR, Marion
Joined Feb 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
I posted about my DX8 losing contact with 3 planes and crashing one badly a few weeks ago. I wanted to report back about my positive experience with Horizon on this.
Within hours of my posting, AndyKunz contacted me and asked me for contact info. In no time I was talking to a technical director at Horizon who personally arranged for my radio to be sent back and repaired by a technician, who also contacted me to let me know what had been found wrong, what had been repaired, and how it had been tested, and that my radio was on its way back. Incredible service.

Today was the first time I had a chance to fly with my repaired DX8 since I got it back from Horizon and it worked flawlessly through 12-15 flights / 4 planes.

Thanks to AndyKunz and the excellent people at Horizon for their dedication! I am a very happy and impressed customer.
Interesting, I posted about losing two within two days, but haven't heard from anyone.
pbilt024 is offline Find More Posts by pbilt024
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:51 PM
USA, NY, Brookhaven
Joined Mar 2003
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbilt024 View Post
Interesting, I posted about losing two within two days, but haven't heard from anyone.
Me too!

Mar 03, 2011, 03:42 AM
Replies: 4,797 New Product Spektrum DX8 & DX10
Views: 235,507 Posted By RickC2009
dx8 and ar6200 failure

Add me to the list of Dx8 and ar6200 faliures!

I had complete loss of control and the plane just veered of course and hit the ground inverted. When I got to the plane I had control an the lights...

rickc
RickC2009 is offline Find More Posts by RickC2009
Old Mar 11, 2011, 01:20 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It will not re-trigger the hold alarm unless

a) the telemetry goes out of range and comes back in (flying with a TM1100 this is frequent, or if working close to metal surfaces), or
b) the receiver resets (brownout) and then gets a subsequent hold.

May I correct terminology a little?

A "fade" is when a single antenna does not hear a frame of data. These are the A, B, R and L parameters on the telemetry display. It is normal operation to see these as the model changes orientation during flight. How many you get are determined by distance, antenna orientation, i.e. basic environmental stuff.

A "frame loss" is when ALL antennas do not receive the SAME frame. This is the F parameter on the display. You will most likely never sense a single or even several in sequence while flying, but if you have a large number for F you may want to consider relocating your antennas.

A "hold" is when ALL antennas miss the SAME 44 CONSECUTIVE frames. Unless you're a glider guider, you probably know a hold when you have one - it's 1 second of no control.

It depends on what you're flying, how you're flying, where you're flying, how you hold your transmitter, etc. I see 100 on some of my planes and don't consider it an issue.

Andy
Ok one question answered.It will realarm on Flightlog data if the TM goes out of range and then returns.Is it possible to get it to only realarm at the next increment whether the TM goes out then into range or not?This was driving me nuts as I couldnt recreate it on the bench.

Next.I noticed that all antenna positions when bound to AR600 show a value.
On all others it only shows a value if there is actually an antenna in use at that position.With other Rxs if there is no antenna in that position it shows dashes. Im assuming AR600 actually only has one because I could only get fades on one antenna.The other 3 stayed at zero.
I also noticed that when AR600 is bound in DSMX that the antenna fades almost directly correlate to frame losses. In DSM2 its more like 3 fades to one frame loss.Does this sound right?
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Mar 11, 2011, 01:38 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_bull View Post
Andy, could you please explain how the lost frames alarm is working? I have an alarm set to 10 lost frames, the radio gave me short vibes during flight without changing the display or making solid alarm, I suppose it was it, since I had about 70 lost during flight. So what it counts every 10 lost frames or 10 continious lost frames? Also while simulating hold alarms during bench testing I found that if you had one hold for example, and would stop the alarm with clear button it would be triggered again the next time the reciever would blink red again for the same single hold. Maybe it's better to have it triggered only when more holds occur and don't bother user for the same previous holds, can it be considered for the future correction? Sorry if I missed something on previous pages, this thread is getting hard to track.
I had one realarming in flight for the one hold I had from cycling the Tx before flight.I couldnt recreate it on the bench so the telemetry going away and coming back causing the realarm makes alot of sense.I really have to try it out some more.With multiple antennas I dont worry about fades a whole lot unless they are really high like hundreds.The big thing I watch for with multiple antennas is that the fades are fairly even among the various antennas.If one is quite a bit higher than the other(s) I might try to move stuff around to get the high one down closer to the other(s).Or if the frame losses are high as well.I set my alarm for 30 frame losses.Im not sure if this is going to work out.Im still getting a feel for how they add up throughout the flight as opposed to having a lump sum of numbers on landing when checking Flightlog.

Seems we have a curve to smooth out while learning to interpret the data we are now getting in realtime.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal