HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2011, 05:24 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFusion View Post
But the AR6200 doesn't have a data port so a meter is his only option.
But he see the RX voltage.
Kambalunga is online now Find More Posts by Kambalunga
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 05:51 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,899 Posts
Quote:
But the AR6200 doesn't have a data port so a meter is his only option.
It does not matter, the data port option is for FLIGHT LOG. The telemetry unit gets the rx voltage reading from the servo wire connected to the RX then can be connect to any available port or with a Y harness to a occupied port.

You just wont get Frames and Holds.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:49 AM
Halifax, NS
Joined Sep 2009
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Blinking is a bad sign.The thing to do now is borrow a datalogger and plug that sucker in for the next flight.This is the rare opportunity to either confirm or debunk the brownout detection in your specific case.
Better yet put a TM1000 or 1100 in it.One way or the other determine what the PeakLowVoltage actually is.That may not be the actual issue but you have to start somewhere and rule out a power supply problem.
This has already been done by at least a few people. On mine at least the Rx voltage never changed from 4.9V during flight. It's not a power supply problem.
karlpenney is offline Find More Posts by karlpenney
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:35 AM
Australia
Joined Oct 2010
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambalunga View Post
But he see the RX voltage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
It does not matter, the data port option is for FLIGHT LOG. The telemetry unit gets the rx voltage reading from the servo wire connected to the RX then can be connect to any available port or with a Y harness to a occupied port.

You just wont get Frames and Holds.
Oh ok i didn't know that but its still too slow to pick up a power issue, if thats what the problem is. I suspect something different is happening.
GoneFusion is offline Find More Posts by GoneFusion
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:49 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,635 Posts
Quote:
The telemetry is far from perfect yet. There is still bugs.

Try disconnecting the power to Rx and does the telemetry alarm...no It only works if you lower the voltage slowly....Now with DSMX and no brownout detection i would say that feature is important for power issues.
Exactly how is the TM1000 supposed to transmit if you kill its power? Being unable to operate without electrons is not a bug.

If you want to capture brownouts on the receiver, you would need to power it from an independent source and connect the V sense input to the rx power. It would show as an alarm on the flight pack voltage, but give you the information you want.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:53 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Exactly how is the TM1000 supposed to transmit if you kill its power? Being unable to operate without electrons is not a bug.

If you want to capture brownouts on the receiver, you would need to power it from an independent source and connect the V sense input to the rx power. It would show as an alarm on the flight pack voltage, but give you the information you want.

Andy
Andy, if I want to use the TM1000 with the 6200 do I just plug it directly into the bat/bind location using an extension with the signal wire removed? Then bind the DX8 to both using the bind button on the TM1000?

Can you explain how to wire this up as you just mentioned with an independent power source?

Thanks,
Carlo
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:16 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,899 Posts
Feed power the the TM unit with its own power source. Connect a 4.8v receive pack to it using the servo data wire provided. Then you are going to nee to use the telemetry main pack voltage wire/sensor if you want to monitor the actual RX voltage. Then if the RX shuts down from low voltage the telemetry is still functional.

The telemetry works with ANY dsm2/dsmX receivers, if you want FLIGHT LOG then you need a data ready RX.

Powering the telemetry unit with its own power source will also disprove a comment Andy made in regards to a specific aspect and how it works/function for those that have been reading from the begining and pay attention to what is said.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:43 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,635 Posts
No need to remove the signal wire. You can leave it wired the same as you would for an AR8000. Alternatively, you could put a Y into the Bat/Bind port and use a bind plug to bind them both. Remove the bind plug before flying.

I thought what you quoted WAS an explanation. Guess I'm too close to the electronics...

DO THIS WITH POWER DISCONNECTED!

This will give you a wiring harness that can be used with any receiver and give you Flight Log data if it's available.

To power the TM1000 independently you need to do some special wire cutting and splicing. Start with a servo extension. Separate the 3 wires from one another lengthwise, but leave them plugged into the connections.

In the middle of the red (center) wire, cut it. Solder this red lead to the red lead that comes from the voltage sense lead on the TM1000. Cover with heatshrink to prevent shorts.

Now take ANOTHER servo extension and cut off the end where it would plug into a receiver. Separate the wires again. Completely remove the yellow/white wire.

On the FIRST servo extension, in the middle of the black lead remove some insulation, solder in the black lead from the TM1000 voltage sense AND the black lead from the SECOND servo extension. Cover with heatshrink. This provides a common ground between the two power systems.

Finally, solder the unattached red leads of the two servo extensions together and cover with heat shrink. This will provide the separated power.

Turn on the transmitter.

Plug the TM1000's data cable into the first servo extension. On the servo extension that only has red and black wires, attach your independent battery power. It can be a 4- or 5-cell NiMH pack or a 2S LiPo pack. This will power up the TM1000 and you should shortly see voltage telemetry data on the DX8.

Now power up the receiver. If you have a Data receiver, you will now see Flight Log data on the transmitter and you will see the receiver's voltage on what's normally your flight pack monitor.

It's a lot of work soldering, and I don't think you need to do this, but if you really want to monitor your receiver voltage this is the way to do it. I don't bother with this myself - I was able to see dangerous dips on the receiver voltage simply by setting the alarm point higher. That's all it took to get me to improve my BECs, check my linkages, and replace too-thin wiring.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 09, 2011, 02:35 PM
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
Cayars,

I agree with Andy, that's just too much work.

If it's a plane (as opposed to a heli), you can just do a stationary test with a multimeter to see if your power supply is the source of your issue. much, much easier.

Btw Andy, are any of the Spektrum/Horizon guys gonna be at the Vegas Fun Fly this weekend?
Confuzshuz is offline Find More Posts by Confuzshuz
Old Mar 09, 2011, 02:41 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2010
145 Posts
Quote:

Andy
I hadn't thought of monitoring it that way. Sounds like it would work but its really a shame you dropped brownout detection on DSMX.
I have a very small meter that i use, its lighter than a battery. and very accurate.

Out of interest Do you know the sample rate of the telemetry ?
The AR7600 i had would brownout and the telemetry wouldn't pick it up ?
Old Mar 09, 2011, 02:49 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,635 Posts
Conf - maybe Horizon Team guys, nobody from my group.

GF - you get a voltage report every 44ms in your system.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 09, 2011, 03:20 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzshuz View Post
Cayars,

I agree with Andy, that's just too much work.

If it's a plane (as opposed to a heli), you can just do a stationary test with a multimeter to see if your power supply is the source of your issue. much, much easier.

Btw Andy, are any of the Spektrum/Horizon guys gonna be at the Vegas Fun Fly this weekend?
Did you solder up a set of leads into the multimeter with a servo extension cable on the other end?
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Mar 09, 2011, 03:53 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2010
145 Posts
Quote:
GF - you get a voltage report every 44ms in your system.

Andy
Thanks. The AR7600 must have been faulty as you suggested. I guess thats why they took so little time to replace it at HH.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
Did you solder up a set of leads into the multimeter with a servo extension cable on the other end?
I'm using aligator clips connected to bare wire ends of a servo cable, but soldering them will give you the same results.
Confuzshuz is offline Find More Posts by Confuzshuz
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:13 PM
Lot, France
Joined Apr 2007
68 Posts
I've just tried rebinding my DX8 with the v2.01 software to my E-Flite Beaver, which has the AR8000 Rx and TM1000 module. I was expecting the main screen to display 'DSMX' in the top right corner after the re-bind but it still shows 'DSM2'.

I've used the recommended binding technique for the TM1000 linked to the AR8000, ie, push in bind button, switch on Rx, hold bind button on Tx and switch on, wait until bind complete. All seems fine and the model has flown without problems. I have all the telemetry info appearing as normal.

I've scanned this thread as far as I reasonably can but haven't come across any instances of this being reported.

Have I missed something obvious?

Pete

ps I'd like to add my name to any bid for for a software upgrade to permit the flight data to be stored on the data card - each time I've flown I've switched off the Tx before I remember to look at the figures.....mus be getting old, I suppose!
pete5996 is offline Find More Posts by pete5996