HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:48 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambalunga View Post
Wrong assumption again!
DX7se, DX7 and DX6i all clean DSM2 but different latency.
Then is not the RX your problem, with a lower latency increased your servo power demand.

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/rr...?p=1310272&i=2
You are confused. The latency talked about in the eCCPM thread is the time it takes from a stick movement to the servo setting position. YOU are assuming lower latency uses more power. This was never measured or talked about in the thread. There is no correlation of latency to power requirements.

Also worth mentioning. I have already stated I can reproduce the glitches in a foamy. This has Hitec 55s in it. With a battery pack or 10A UBEC you are not going to out do the power in a simply banking turn. I doubt it's a power issue but I will be logging power on my next flight with an ICE controller as soon as the weather cooperates.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:49 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Yea, the power recommendation and the brownout threshold are two different things. That is what you not understand.

A system with a lower latency has a higher power demand.
Please show me proof of this. I do not agree as a whole.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:58 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera0to60 View Post
So I saw back on pg 133 that onthesnaps radio was going into bind mode when the AUX3 knob was turned all the way to the left. I found today that mine is doing the same thing and I wanted to see how many people have experienced this. To test yours; turn the AUX 3 knob all the way to the left (counterclockwise) and then turn on the radio. Should do nothing but mine goes into bind mode. I have tried this on both firmwares available.
There's a short circuit in your transmitter. Have Service repair it.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:16 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2005
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
There's a short circuit in your transmitter. Have Service repair it.

Andy
Ill send it in when I get back to the US, I called today and had them make a note of it so when I get back itll get taken care of. No need to subject the poor TX through two more trips in the military mail.
carrera0to60 is offline Find More Posts by carrera0to60
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:46 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
This is scary, having a short circuit in a brand new TX.
I do not see how turning the AUX? knob can cause a short circuit in one TX let alone in several, unless the pot is loose and twisting the wires and breaking them loose from the pot's terminals. This sounds like a design flaw if it ever happens. Does the bind function have anything to do with AUX3?
Need2Fly is offline Find More Posts by Need2Fly
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:18 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Latency has only secondary to do with framerate.
When I use the DX6i with the AR6100 is the servo travel slower as with the DX8.

10A peak how long?
The tailservo a digital over gyro?
120° swashplate mean that 3 servos can simultan run on.
What typ of servos?
Measure first your voltage and the current.

ESC Kontronik?
ESC: Kontronik Koby 55, 6V BEC (tried Jazz 55, but BEC was too weak for FBL)
3x Align DS410MG, 1x Ino-Lab D261HB (all digital), Align 3G FBL
Current peaks about 3A when pushing all Servos. Voltage drops to 5.8V at 3A

I use telemetry on all my helis (TM1100 on 250 and 450, TM1000 on 550).
No BEC warning during flight. This setup is rock solid, flown it for some time. Sorry, but that is not the problem....
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:23 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,005 Posts
Oh, that's too dramatic!

The bind button and knob have wires that go to the same small circuit board. If there was a poor implementation (not a design flaw) that a whisker of a wire ended up on the wrong pad (remember, this kind of work is hand-assembled in all radio brands), it could cause exactly this symptom. I know this because my first DX8, a hand-built prototype, had the same problem. It's not a design flaw - I've had JR, Brand F, brand G, and Brand H radios with similar issues (apparent cross-wiring between inputs) and in every case it was the same thing. But being an electronics guy, I did my own fixing.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:27 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2005
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2Fly View Post
This is scary, having a short circuit in a brand new TX.
I do not see how turning the AUX? knob can cause a short circuit in one TX let alone in several, unless the pot is loose and twisting the wires and breaking them loose from the pot's terminals. This sounds like a design flaw if it ever happens. Does the bind function have anything to do with AUX3?
Nope just a one was street it seems. On the raw data screen the pot seems to be working normally and consistently. The pot is not loose so the wires are not twisting. Pretty strange but everything else works fine. I started messing with it because the radio started making a series of beeps when it was turned on. Turns out the AUX3 knob position has something to do with that too.
carrera0to60 is offline Find More Posts by carrera0to60
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:18 PM
Carleton Place, Ontario, CANADA
Joined May 2008
26 Posts
on a different, simpler note - kudos to HH for service on radio sent in for update......
my DX8 one of the chosen few for return....note this timeline is from Ontario, Canada ....

Request Submitted – Feb 10; Documentation Rec’d via Mail Feb 17
UPS p/u parcel Feb 22 4:30pm
Parcel arrived USA Feb 23 – held in customs till Feb 28
Delivered HH – March 2 – 10:17 am
Checked in – 10:58
Assigned to Technician – 11:03
Ready to Ship – 11:33
Product Shipped - March 2 – 4:28
Delivered in Canada – March 7 – 12:20

what great service -- in the door, worked on and back out right away!!!!
(with appropriate customs info to boot)

winter has returned with a wallop of snow and cold so field testing will have to wait a bit longer!
thanks again to HH and the service dept for superior turnaround!
hetr is offline Find More Posts by hetr
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:29 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera0to60 View Post
I started messing with it because the radio started making a series of beeps when it was turned on. Turns out the AUX3 knob position has something to do with that too.
That was mention long time ago when they implemented the AUX3 centering BEEP in one of the earlier AirWare versions.

Its just a matter of the radio powering on and seing the aux3 channel as centered or not. Hence the extra BEEPS.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
I fixed a slot car controller a while back for a friend - one strand of wire was resting loosely on adjacent land
factory assembled ---
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:20 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
Please show me proof of this. I do not agree as a whole.
This is a whole other subject and I think I started a thread about it.Ill have to dig it up or start another.
One other quick thing.Keep in mind that no matter what a BEC or pack is rated to output a servo type connector is only rated for 3amp continuous 5amp Max.And thats when its brand new,clean and tight.Hmmm think about that one for a minute or two. 10amp UBEC-one servo lead...Hmmm
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:43 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,593 Posts
Here's what CC has to say about it in regards to their 20A CC Bec Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Bec Pro
CC BEC Pro has two output leads. Plug both into different ports on your receiver or into two Y harnesses to carry the most current. Servo connectors are not intended to carry more than 5 amps continuously. If your application draws more than 10 amps continuously, please replace these connectors with a connector rated for your amperage.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:57 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Yes I know the typical servo type connector is rated at 5amp max but you'll find plenty pushing this. It's quite easy to pull more then 5 amps through them. Just get a small light bulb and connect it up through an extension and you'll see it can do 10 amps pretty easy even with the thinnest of wire. The receivers themselves can handle 10 amps (I believe that's the number).

On all but my small foamies I usually plug my ubecs into multiple ports. Just an old habbit from many years back. On larger bird I always run multiple radios with the aircraft set up with one radio for the left side of the plane and one for the right side of the plane. Cheap insurance in my mind.

But yes I do agree you need to know how much your servos are pulling under stress at the same time and how much power you are really getting to them.

But with that said I don't think this has anything to do with the brownout I can reproduce on the foamy with the DX8/6200s. 10 Amp UBEC or battery pack and 3 micro servos. It's flipped out in a gentle banked turn. The servos probably aren't anywhere near 1.5 draw let alone close to 5 amp.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:08 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
I'm back to the drawing board on my small logging plane. The ICE 100 just weighs to much for the small foamy and I can't get the CG close enough to fly. Gotta check and see what other planes I don't mind using as a Ginny pig. I think I still have a Silhouette around some where which will do for a flight or two (doesn't crash well). Gotta see if I can find it.