HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:21 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy72vega View Post
I know we have spoken about this issue before Freechip, how has your DX8 been working? Do you still get the flashing light? .
Sorry I lose track with all these DX8 threads going on. The day it arrived from HH the first thing I did was range check with RX in hand powered by brand new fully charged 4.8v Nimh 2000mah pack and I reproduce on the first try.

Have not flow with it since they sent me bonus RX but have yet to fly with new RX since this took part at the end of flying season for me.

Will make for interesting 2011 flying season. I can't afford to crash any models but that applies to most of us.

PS: I forget who called me when my DX8 was in for inspection but Andy had told me I had talked to the TOP. He answer to me was less then impressive, when I asked him WHY he said must be some sort of minor issue with the rx but not one that affected the signal and link. Enjoy the new RX.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:39 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Sorry I lose track with all these DX8 threads going on. The day it arrived from HH the first thing I did was range check with RX in hand powered by brand new fully charged 4.8v Nimh 2000mah pack and I reproduce on the first try.

Have not flow with it since they sent me bonus RX but have yet to fly with new RX since this took part at the end of flying season for me.

Will make for interesting 2011 flying season. I can't afford to crash any models but that applies to most of us.

PS: I forget who called me when my DX8 was in for inspection but Andy had told me I had talked to the TOP. He answer to me was less then impressive, when I asked him WHY he said must be some sort of minor issue with the rx but not one that affected the signal and link. Enjoy the new RX.
Yeah, I understand. It was quite a ways back, when this thread was less than 100 pages!! LOL.
I just hope I can get some kind of resolution to this issue, HH and UPS have had more fun with my DX8 than I have so far!!
speedy72vega is offline Find More Posts by speedy72vega
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:07 PM
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
Speedy,
I have very inexpensive (free) way for you to monitor your TX signal on the computer using a visual analyzer (oscilloscope). I mentioned the same thing to Mukenukem.

This could be useful to anyone who thinks they might be having issues with a lockout. I found this program a few days ago: http://www.sillanumsoft.org/prod01.htm
You need to have a microphone jack on your computer and a mic plug adapter (for me it's 3.5mm mono jack, available at radioshack for about $3) or stereo jack for 2 channels. From your receiver (any channel), connect the negative lead to the ground pin and signal lead to the center pin on the mono jack. The program will create a visual image of what the signal looks like being sent to the (receiver/)servos. The movement goes from right to left. If your receiver loses signal (turning off your TX), the pulses will move left to right. If my understanding (more like wild guess) is correct, this will indicate a lockout/loss of signal. I don't know how to fine tune the visual analyzer settings, but the standard setting should be sufficient for tracking loss of signal.

I know my description/instruction is sorta vague, but anyone who's competent enough to fly a model aircraft, should be able to figure it out...I hope.
Confuzshuz is offline Find More Posts by Confuzshuz
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
41 Posts
Center in airleron not allways at 0

I like the Dx8 which is very pleasant to use but ... sometimes in the aileron when they are centred i have for example +6 or -6 in the monitor's menu.

It's very dangerous with a FBL helicopter, because it's like a continuous order and the result is a slow flip.

I can resolve the problem if i move the stick left and right, after they are "recalibrated" and in the center i have 0.

But it's strange, rare and not funny. Is it possible to resolve this problem definitely ?

PS: I switch off the trim for aileron with 0 value in step but it doesn't resolve the problem.
furien is offline Find More Posts by furien
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:26 PM
Never stop
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
747 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my ailerons. Confused the crap out of me... not sure why it loses calibration.
Left_Drift is offline Find More Posts by Left_Drift
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:35 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,653 Posts
Test if it's the calibration or (what we see happening) the spring tension does not return it to center. Snip the stick and note the return value. Do it multiple times from different directions. If it's the spring tension, it will be different; sometimes high, sometimes low, sometimes positive, etc. If that's the case, turn to about page 40 in the manual to see how to adjust tension.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:42 PM
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzshuz View Post
Speedy,
I have very inexpensive (free) way for you to monitor your TX signal on the computer using a visual analyzer (oscilloscope). I mentioned the same thing to Mukenukem.

This could be useful to anyone who thinks they might be having issues with a lockout. I found this program a few days ago: http://www.sillanumsoft.org/prod01.htm
You need to have a microphone jack on your computer and a mic plug adapter (for me it's 3.5mm mono jack, available at radioshack for about $3) or stereo jack for 2 channels. From your receiver (any channel), connect the negative lead to the ground pin and signal lead to the center pin on the mono jack. The program will create a visual image of what the signal looks like being sent to the (receiver/)servos. The movement goes from right to left. If your receiver loses signal (turning off your TX), the pulses will move left to right. If my understanding (more like wild guess) is correct, this will indicate a lockout/loss of signal. I don't know how to fine tune the visual analyzer settings, but the standard setting should be sufficient for tracking loss of signal.

I know my description/instruction is sorta vague, but anyone who's competent enough to fly a model aircraft, should be able to figure it out...I hope.
Thanks for that info Confushuz, i'll look into it.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 03:03 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,551 Posts
There is some problem with the DX8 and 6200 based (also 6100) RXs. Period. All those crashes can not be caused by brownouts, especially when the model was flying with a DX6i for many times.

It's about time to find this problem and to adress it. If it is done by replacing/updating the 6200s and 6100s, it is okay for me. But it must be adressed, because big models are very dangerous. I don't want to think of my T-Rex 550 crashing into my flying buddies....

When I get mine back I will do some long-term testing with my USB-oscilloscope. I am not willing to lose another model (except when the crash is caused by my flying skills. I have no problem to crash a model and admit it. But I hate to watch my model crash without any chance to save it)
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:13 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
I know we have spoken about this issue before Freechip, how has your DX8 been working? Do you still get the flashing light?
I have had complete loss of signal with 6 different planes now, all using AR6200's. Support has never been able to duplicate the problem, but each time I have sent it in, it has already been loaded on a UPS truck back to me the SAME DAY the tech looked at it.......
I suspect they have some type of signal analyzer they use to check them. If it passes on the first try, there's nothing wrong in their eyes.
This last issue, I lost my Stick. I got to the plane after the crash to find solid lights on both the main and satellite rx. This plane used a separate RX pack, and my Voltwatch showed fully charged battery. I even took a video with my cel phone cam.
Mine is definitely not a brownout concern IMHO. I also don't feel it's a shadowing issue with the planes, since ALL of them have flown many, many times with my DX6i.
This is probably a stretch but where is your transmitter antenna pointed? I have posted many flight videos to youtube and John Redman has looked at some of them. He has pointed out to me a couple of times that my antenna should be pointing UP (bent) for best signal reception (on DX7). I have always had mine pointing straight out and never had a problem. Perhaps the DX8 is different with loss of signal when the antenna is pointing straight at the plane and with an AR6200 receiver. I have about 10 AR6200's but I haven't moved any of those models to my DX8 yet. I haven't experienced a signal loss yet but I've only been flying my UM's.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,716 Posts
My DX8 went back to Horizon twice. The second time, I got a brand new one back along with some freebies for my trouble - very nice! But alas, it didn't fix my issue. The short version of my issue is that when I combined:

1: DX8 TX. Either the first or the second unit.
2: AR 6100 V1.2 (old) in a Gaui 200 helicopter.
3: Indoor flying event with ~24 people. (On a campus with wifi etc. too.)

The Gaui occasionally did short uncommanded downward bursts. It would never do it outdoors or in my garage, and it would never do it on the DX7 indoors or out. However, after getting replacement DX8 I found a thread about old version 6100s doing bursts of full down (this predates the DX8). I wasn't super confident since I had never seen it on the DX7, but I swapped it out with a 6110, went back to the indoor meet, and now my problem seems to be solved. So... old 6100 problem all along? Just chance that it showed up with the DX8? Or the DX8 is subtly different and makes the old problem show up more?

Meanwhile a dozen indoor planes at the same event on newer AR6100s (v1.6), 6110s, 6300s, 6400s, 6400LBLs have also not had any problems with the DX8. That makes it seem more likely that it was the old 6100. Once spring gets here I'll get a chance to try my old 6200s. Hmm... I don't see any version stickers on the 6200s I just looked at.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
This is probably a stretch but where is your transmitter antenna pointed? I have posted many flight videos to youtube and John Redman has looked at some of them. He has pointed out to me a couple of times that my antenna should be pointing UP (bent) for best signal reception (on DX7). I have always had mine pointing straight out and never had a problem. Perhaps the DX8 is different with loss of signal when the antenna is pointing straight at the plane and with an AR6200 receiver. I have about 10 AR6200's but I haven't moved any of those models to my DX8 yet. I haven't experienced a signal loss yet but I've only been flying my UM's.
NW, I always fly with my antenna to the right, horizontal with the ground. I have read many times that the signal radiates outward from the sides of the antenna, not the tip. I never fly with my antenna pointed straight at the plane.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:22 PM
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
My DX8 went back to Horizon twice. The second time, I got a brand new one back along with some freebies for my trouble - very nice! But alas, it didn't fix my issue. The short version of my issue is that when I combined:

1: DX8 TX. Either the first or the second unit.
2: AR 6100 V1.2 (old) in a Gaui 200 helicopter.
3: Indoor flying event with ~24 people. (On a campus with wifi etc. too.)

The Gaui occasionally did short uncommanded downward bursts. It would never do it outdoors or in my garage, and it would never do it on the DX7 indoors or out. However, after getting replacement DX8 I found a thread about old version 6100s doing bursts of full down (this predates the DX8). I wasn't super confident since I had never seen it on the DX7, but I swapped it out with a 6110, went back to the indoor meet, and now my problem seems to be solved. So... old 6100 problem all along? Just chance that it showed up with the DX8? Or the DX8 is subtly different and makes the old problem show up more?

Meanwhile a dozen indoor planes at the same event on newer AR6100s (v1.6), 6110s, 6300s, 6400s, 6400LBLs have also not had any problems with the DX8. That makes it seem more likely that it was the old 6100. Once spring gets here I'll get a chance to try my old 6200s. Hmm... I don't see any version stickers on the 6200s I just looked at.
Dave, my problem only seems to happen with AR6200's, although I don't currently have any of my 6100's mounted in an aircraft to compare with.
I have flown 2 planes that have AR500's in them with no problems. I will say though that my flights have been very limited with the DX8 since the beginning, due to the issues.
I had the loss of signal issue right from the very first use.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:36 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
NW, I always fly with my antenna to the right, horizontal with the ground. I have read many times that the signal radiates outward from the sides of the antenna, not the tip. I never fly with my antenna pointed straight at the plane.
Yeah. I've heard that too. I'm trying to change my bad habits. It's been awhile since I caught myself with the antenna pointed straight out. I was wrong earlier. I have 10 or so AR6100's (the old version) plus some AR6200's (about 30 total). Perhaps I better send the AR6100's for updating. Does Horizon still do that?
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:38 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
I'm planning on going to LA next week and fly my Radian Pro off the coast. I sure don't want a loss of control there. Now I have to fret over using the DX8 or DX7!!! The Radian Pro does have an AR600 in it.

Anyone had an issue with the AR600 yet?
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:41 PM
Deutschland, Bayern, Ergoldsbach
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
I'm planning on going to LA next week and fly my Radian Pro off the coast. I sure don't want a loss of control there. Now I have to fret over using the DX8 or DX7!!! The Radian Pro does have an AR600 in it.

Anyone had an issue with the AR600 yet?

I think there´s no problem i use the AR600 in two other models without any problem.

Just fly and enjoy it
rs_rudi is offline Find More Posts by rs_rudi