SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:42 PM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
[QUOTE=NwRcFlight;17518710] Does the DX7 price include a receiver of some kind? With the DX8 you are getting a nice receiver and telemetry module to use in a future plane.

No I should have mentioned that and I overlooked it as well . The Dx7 is Tx only and the 8 you do get a nice RX.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:07 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
I have been looking at the DX8 for the servo speed adjust plus the three position switches for all of the switches.
I just want to know that they have worked out ALL of the BUGS!
I have a friend who knows a guy that had two crashes due to buggy software.
I have never had any issues with my DX7, except that it would be nice if Spektrum provided some real life setup examples for different planes because the basic manual seem a bit lacking for both the DX7 and 8, IMO.
The DSMX would be nice to have but not a must have, however unless the DSM2 rec drop in price all new ones I buy will be DSMX.
I do find it strange that on the DX7 the only way to get differential ailrons is to use a wing type, which then limits the flaps setting. I do not see where these should have been intermixed, which it seems they have corrected on the DX8. But until I get one and try to use it I won't know for sure.
Need2Fly is offline Find More Posts by Need2Fly
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:37 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2Fly View Post
I just want to know that they have worked out ALL of the BUGS!
Me too. I decided they were getting close enough but I've been real cautious about which planes I've moved over. The ones I really care about are still on the DX7.

I'm a software developer and I have some reservations about a couple of things. On the one hand it's real nice that the software on the DX7 can be updated. On the other hand, having that capability opens up many issues with version control. Did you do something on your DX8 in version 1 that is fixed in version 1.x and because you previously compensated for version 1's issue you now have a problem with version 1.x that you don't know about.

I was pretty shocked to find that the transmitter ID is part of the downloadable software. To me that should be on a chip separate from the program code. Is there a possibility that if I sent my program code to you that your transmitter would then have the same ID? Is there something in the software that checks to see if the new program to be loaded has a transmitter ID that matches the current one? I hope so. I haven't tried it but the possibility exists that a user might not be able to download the software themselves (from the DX8 website) and loads a new version from a buddies download. Potential problem? Duplicate transmitter ID's and model match conflicts?

How is version control and testing done? Does Spektrum have some controls in place that compares stick positions and resulting servo outputs so see if they match from version to version (all model types, wing types, etc.). This would show immediately if a change in one version will affect prior versions. There could be an automated process that took stick positions (generated via computer) and measured against the servo output signals (compared against a known result table) to see if a software change has caused some bogus outputs (and resultant out of control aircraft). This would help insure that software changes in one area haven't affected another area. An automated process could take all possible stick input positions and compare them against a known result table. That would be much better than the trial and error we could do ourselves by moving the sticks to the limits and watching what the servos do. What we test manually might not be where the problem eventually shows up.

Are the users being sufficiently notified of the changes from version to version? What to watch for? What has been reset by loading a new program (trims, etc?). What needs to be checked and redone? How much testing of the code is being done on Spektrums side? Unfortunately, it appears to be not quite enough due the the new issues introduced by the new versions. On the other hand, if more testing is done then it's a longer time before we get the new updates. A real catch-22.

These are some questions I have. It didn't stop me from buying the DX8. I really like it so far.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Last edited by NwRcFlight; Feb 25, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:40 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
Me too. I decided they were getting close enough but I've been real cautious about which planes I've moved over. The ones I really care about are still on the DX7.

I'm a software developer and I have some reservations about a couple of things. On the one hand it's real nice that the software on the DX7 can be updated. On the other hand, having that capability opens up many issues with version control. Did you do something on your DX8 in version 1 that is fixed in version 1.x and because you previously compensated for version 1's issue you now have a problem with version 1.x that you don't know about.

I was pretty shocked to find that the transmitter ID is part of the downloadable software. To me that should be on a chip separate from the program code. Is there a possibility that if I sent my program code to you that your transmitter would then have the same ID? Is there something in the software that checks to see if the new program to be loaded has a transmitter ID that matches the current one? I hope so. I haven't tried it but the possibility exists that a user might not be able to download the software themselves (from the DX8 website) and loads a new version from a buddies download. Potential problem?

How is version control and testing done? Does Spektrum have some controls in place that compares stick positions and resulting servo outputs so see if they match from version to version (all model types, wing types, etc.). This would show immediately if a change in one version will affect prior versions. There could be an automated process that took stick positions (generated via computer) and measured against the servo output signals (compared against a known result table) to see if a software change has caused some bogus outputs (and resultant out of control aircraft). This would help insure that software changes in one area haven't affected another area. An automated process could take all possible stick input positions and compare them against a known result table. That would be much better than the trial and error we could do ourselves by moving the sticks to the limits and watching what the servos do. What we test manually might not be where the problem eventually shows up.

Are the users being sufficiently notified of the changes from version to version? What to watch for? What has been reset by loading a new program (trims, etc?). What needs to be checked and redone? How much testing of the code is being done on Spektrums side. Unfortunately, it appears to be not quite enough due the the new issues introduced by the new versions. On the other hand, if more testing is done then it's a longer time before we get the new updates. A real catch-22.

These are some questions I have. It didn't stop me from buying the DX8. I really like it so far.
Good points!
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:41 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,057 Posts
Quote:
I do find it strange that on the DX7 the only way to get differential ailrons is to use a wing type, which then limits the flaps setting. I do not see where these should have been intermixed, which it seems they have corrected on the DX8. But until I get one and try to use it I won't know for sure.
Back in the old days, we did it mechanically by moving the horn connect point forward or behind the hinge line, using a single servo. Obviously, we aren't doing that.

Speaking electronically, now, can you explain how to have differential w/o multiple aileron servos in the wing (or multiple flap servos)? What servos are the differences going out to? To have "differential" you need two servos doing similar things.

That's where the wing types come in. They tell how many servos in each wing.

Thanks.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:52 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
I was pretty shocked to find that the transmitter ID is part of the downloadable software.
You misunderstood; can you show me where you got your understanding, so I can have it updated? We want to make sure our explanations are correct.

Thanks!

Quote:
Is there a possibility that if I sent my program code to you that your transmitter would then have the same ID? Is there something in the software that checks to see if the new program to be loaded has a transmitter ID that matches the current one? I hope so.
None at all.

Quote:
I haven't tried it but the possibility exists that a user might not be able to download the software themselves (from the DX8 website) and loads a new version from a buddies download. Potential problem?
Nope. It simply won't be accepted by the radio unless it has the correct serialization. Savvy hobby shops could provide a service to non-Internet-connected customers by registering the radios for them and getting them into the shop to download/install an update; Feet in the shop puts money in the drawer!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:58 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You misunderstood; can you show me where you got your understanding, so I can have it updated? We want to make sure our explanations are correct.

Thanks!

None at all.

Nope. It simply won't be accepted by the radio unless it has the correct serialization. Savvy hobby shops could provide a service to non-Internet-connected customers by registering the radios for them and getting them into the shop to download/install an update; Feet in the shop puts money in the drawer!

Andy
Good to know all of the questions I had are non-issues. I made the assumption that the ID was part of the software because of a post I read earlier that each download was customized for each transmitter. I surely could have read the post wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Regardless, I assumed that had to mean that the ID was part of the software. If it's not then I'm glad. Thanks for the reply.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:52 PM
Heli Driver
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2004
57 Posts
Looks like the latest firmware update corrected the low transmitter battery voltage indication some of us have had.

Used to be that highest voltage reported with the NiMH on my dx8 was 5.4, but usually 5.3. Now it shows 5.6v.
GehrBox is offline Find More Posts by GehrBox
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:51 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
"I do find it strange that on the DX7 the only way to get differential ailrons is to use a wing type, which then limits the flaps setting. I do not see where these should have been intermixed, which it seems they have corrected on the DX8. But until I get one and try to use it I won't know for sure."

Andy,

I know how to do differential ailerons with control linkages, it is just not easy to adjust the amount like you can with a computer radio.
I realize that you need two servos to do differential ailerons. I just do not see why two aileron servos need to have anything to do with flaps. I have several airplanes where I use the ailerons as flaps using the flaperon setting and also have the differential in use.
However I just bought the p-47 and have installed the flaps and retracts.
In this setup I wanted to have differential ailerons, as it comes with two servos installed, but they give you a y cable to connect up to the aile port on the rx.
So I wanted to use my 7 ch rx and have differential ailerons and flaps.
I expected to have the normal differential setting and still have the flaps settings separate but the two were inter twined.
I guess I do not see why differential needs to be only available in a "wing type" as it really has nothing to do with the type of wing and more to do with the number of servos controlling the ailerons and how they move relative to each other.
The same goes for flaps, having two flap servos only makes setup easier but is not required.
I see flaperon, delta and v-tail as really just pre defined mixes of different channels, kind of like the aileron rudder mix is pre defined, but could

be done using one of the unused mixes.

I do not know how it works on the DX8 as I do not have one yet. But when I was looking at the program guide it looked like on page 6 you could select

wing type as DUAL AILERON. So it seems like Spectrum has solved the problem on the DX8.

My issue is with the DX7 which could have had the same solution, as the DX8, it is all just software and has nothing to do with the tx hardware.

Is there any software updates to fix this issue for the DX7 or is it a no longer updated product?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:15 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Andy,

Here is a suggestion for an enhancement to the spektrum RX line.
Add a way to seperate the RX voltage rail from the servo voltage rail.
Then supply a jumper, like comes on some PC mother boards to change setting, they are the same form factor as the pins on your RXs, to tie the two rails together. That way the RX could be hooked up to the ESC's BEC and an external BEC could power the servos.
That way you could prevent the servos, if bound would not drag down the RX voltage.
The jumper would allow the RX to be configured like they are now if the split supply was not going to be used. Just a thought.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:00 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,513 Posts
Andy:
Question.
Nitro heli running AR7100R.Can I y-harness the RPM sensor with one lead going to sensor port on the 7100R and the other into the rpm port on the TM module?
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:48 AM
Joined Nov 2010
9 Posts
Does the telemetry screen in DSMX mode still show fades and holds?
Before, in DSM2 mode I always at least had a few fades on the screen.
Now in DSMX mode I always have 0 fades and 0 Holds.
Either the connection now is really good or the function doesn´t work anny more.

Dennis
tntdennis is offline Find More Posts by tntdennis
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:57 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
I have a question.
I have an AR7000 rx that came with my DX7, it has never been in a plane and flown. It has only been hooked up on the bench.
I had it in a gas trainer I was getting setup to fly and it would not always connect to the tx. If I touched the rx sometimes it would connect. Once it connected if I unpluged the rx battery for very long it would not reconnect always.
So then I buy the P-47, at the same time I bought it I order a new dsmx 7100 rx, but they do not come in until the end of march. So I pull out the 7000 and hook it up to the P-47. It would not bind at all. It would appear to bind but the second rx light never comes on. So I unplugged the second rx and it will bind, but it does not always connect still. I thought it might be the wireless N router so I turned it off and it did not seem to make much of a difference, but there are at least 13 others that my computer sees, but they are weak compared to mine. The rx that came with the plane is an ar600 and it works fine. Do you think the older rx is just not as good as the newer ones?
Also should the bind LED on the back of the tx be on all the time?
I only look at it when trying to bind an rx so I do not remember if it should be on of off when the button is not pressed.
Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:07 AM
Joined Nov 2009
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntdennis View Post
Does the telemetry screen in DSMX mode still show fades and holds?
Before, in DSM2 mode I always at least had a few fades on the screen.
Now in DSMX mode I always have 0 fades and 0 Holds.
Either the connection now is really good or the function doesn´t work anny more.

Dennis
Early firmware saw and recorded a relatively fixed number of false fades on start up. This appears to have been fixed in 2.0
Rumbleweed is offline Find More Posts by Rumbleweed
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:15 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Are they going to offer the DX8 as TX only?
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0