SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:04 PM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,358 Posts
Hi Guys

When I moved my models from the DX6 to the DX8 I noticed that all my Elevon planes had the Elevator reversed.... and I had to physically swap the servo leads in the receiver.

The next problem is using a DX6 with DX8 when flying elevon planes because of the elevator reverse problem. There is no ways of doing this the easy plug and play way.

It seems like the DX8 and DX6 is programmed different

Anybody else notice this???
Bakkie is offline Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:12 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,082 Posts
JT - as you may have noticed on other threads (maybe even this one), there was a problem with a certain number of the RF decks - the number I saw online was 400 radios. The serial number and PID tell us if your radio has that problem or not. The problem is only for when it's in DSMX mode, and it only applies to the transmitters.

The AR8000 and its remote are just fine. No need to worry about them.

Sometimes things like this happen - the "how" is beyond me since that's an entirely different group from mine. Fortunately our databases contain all the information necessary in order to identify a unit, but unfortunately they can't tell us who has it until they register and try to update. If you are familiar with production QA systems, you know that this is exactly the reason all that data is captured on the factory floor and from consumers - so that corrections can be made before they become a problem. And you also can take assurance from tracking that it means the problem is well-understood and corrected since we are able to identify the units so accurately.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:12 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,638 Posts
when I swap to DX8 from DX6i, i notice that I had to swap leads in my edf setup with elevons but none of the other plane needed to have wires swap.

Found it strange but dismissed it.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:25 PM
Joined Feb 2011
17 Posts
Why hasn't there been an official recall for these radios in order for them to be fixed (Preferably BEFORE they are sold) since you know thier PIDs??

Shouldn't your database be able to tell where these units were shipped?? (Not who they were sold to but what retail store or even your own warehouse they were shipped to) If not then perhaps you could send that suggestion up the food chain to include the serial number and PID being on a barcode on the outside of the box so it can be easily identified. (Quite a few companies do this)

I also noticed that my PID in the Battery compartment and my PID embedded in the firmware on the system are two differant PIDs (Again this concerns me since I was expecting to purchase a NEW Tx not a factory refurbished one)

The problem isn't ONLY DSMX mode. This problem prevents my Tx from using any of the new telemetry sensors or any of the new features not just DSMX mode. It will also prevent me from using ANY of the new features coming out (Since I can't flash my firmware until I send it back in to get it fixed I can't have any of the new features)

Again I don't mean to flame or bash or anything I REALLY appreciate your time (Since you seem to be the only Spektrum Employee who will actually TALK to me other than to tell me I MUST send it in I don't have any other options)

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
JT - as you may have noticed on other threads (maybe even this one), there was a problem with a certain number of the RF decks - the number I saw online was 400 radios. The serial number and PID tell us if your radio has that problem or not. The problem is only for when it's in DSMX mode, and it only applies to the transmitters.

The AR8000 and its remote are just fine. No need to worry about them.

Sometimes things like this happen - the "how" is beyond me since that's an entirely different group from mine. Fortunately our databases contain all the information necessary in order to identify a unit, but unfortunately they can't tell us who has it until they register and try to update. If you are familiar with production QA systems, you know that this is exactly the reason all that data is captured on the factory floor and from consumers - so that corrections can be made before they become a problem. And you also can take assurance from tracking that it means the problem is well-understood and corrected since we are able to identify the units so accurately.

Andy
jtjohn1 is offline Find More Posts by jtjohn1
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjohn1 View Post
...I also noticed that my PID in the Battery compartment and my PID embedded in the firmware on the system are two differant PIDs (Again this concerns me since I was expecting to purchase a NEW Tx not a factory refurbished one)
Everything matched up when bought new but after returing home from its update a new PID was stickered on but the serial # still shows the old one also.
Quote:
This problem prevents my Tx from using any of the new telemetry sensors or any of the new features not just DSMX mode.
Don't worry about it too much, there not out yet. So you got enough time to send it in for service.

Having spent X amount of money on you're TX do you want it to have the best components thats offered for it? It sucks having to send it back I know I was there a month or so ago but hey atleast I can take comfort in knowing that its updated with better internals.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:39 PM
Joined Feb 2011
17 Posts
It has never been returned to the factory (To my knowledge) Thats one of the issues I am having with this. If it WAS returned to the factory (Which is what the PID conflict seems to be saying) then why wasn't the problem fixed at that time?? If it's yet ANOTHER problem with the same Tx then I would be WAY more comfortable returning it for a new Tx (Which I was told was impossiable) Since there seems to be so much wrong with THIS Tx then how am I to feel comfortable with the other bits that CAME with the Tx (Maybe it was built on a Monday after a four day weekend or something by hungover workers

Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Everything matched up when bought new but after returing home from its update a new PID was stickered on but the serial # still shows the old one also.
Don't worry about it too much, there not out yet. So you got enough time to send it in for service.

Having spent X amount of money on you're TX do you want it to have the best components thats offered for it? It sucks having to send it back I know I was there a month or so ago but hey atleast I can take comfort in knowing that its updated with better internals.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,638 Posts
I cant speak for HH but IF the PID to serial # difference is there from the begining in regards to you're radio it could simply mean that LHS may have sent unsold units to have the updates (uncommanded servo movement) addressed before they would sell it to their customers.

Then when they implemented DsmX it brouhgt up other issues???? that would be what I am thinking could be you're case.

In these situation its always best to deal with H directly or Andy, shoot him a PM or email.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:08 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
It has never been returned to the factory (To my knowledge) Thats one of the issues I am having with this. If it WAS returned to the factory (Which is what the PID conflict seems to be saying) then why wasn't the problem fixed at that time?? If it's yet ANOTHER problem with the same Tx then I would be WAY more comfortable returning it for a new Tx (Which I was told was impossiable) Since there seems to be so much wrong with THIS Tx then how am I to feel comfortable with the other bits that CAME with the Tx (Maybe it was built on a Monday after a four day weekend or something by hungover workers
I would be very concerned also, I would want a new Tx. A customer should not be expected to settle for that.
Good luck
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:22 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
...A customer should not be expected to settle for that.Good luck VP
Settle for what? That radio may of been pulled from the shelf, updated then put back on the shelf? Nothing wrong with that. Its still a new radio. What makes it new is that its never been sold and user by a end user. But anyways with their great service I am sure its going to addressed.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:32 PM
Joined Nov 2009
171 Posts
Just did the 2.0 update and rebound all my helis. No problem other than getting to bind plug on the ones with neatly trimmed and wrapped servo leads. I did notice however that on several models the rcvr low voltage alarm was set at 4.3V. Don't remember seeing that before, but for me that is too low. Might check your Rcvr low voltage alarm after the update. :eek
EDIT not saying 2.0 changed it, just something previously overlooked but now very obvious
Rumbleweed is offline Find More Posts by Rumbleweed
Last edited by Rumbleweed; Feb 10, 2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: update
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:40 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,082 Posts
Version 2.00 does not change any configuration values.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:42 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,638 Posts
I did for the timer going to 25%. LOL I had 19% setup
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:50 PM
Sao Paulo - BRAZIL
Joined Jun 2004
36 Posts
Regarding the PID and serial numbers matching and the ability to download the 2.00:

My radio was PID HS008X (but on the serial number it starts with HC008X since the day I bought it) and after it came back from the "optional" update it got a HA008CM PID sticker on the battery compartment . Serial number stlll HC008X) No problem downloading and installing the 2.00
My friends DX8 was bought toghether with mine but he didnt send the radio in for the update and still have the HS008X sticker (and, like mine his serial also starts with HC008X). He was able to download the software (will install tonight).
Both radios were bought on September 21st at Ron Lunds place. So they're from the initial batch.
Go figure...
giaffa is offline Find More Posts by giaffa
Last edited by giaffa; Feb 10, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:13 PM
Joined Feb 2011
17 Posts
If they could tell before it left the hobby shop/warehouse that it needed the initial fix (Thus changing it's PID) then they should have been able to tell before it left the Hobby Shop/Warehouse that it needed an additional fix as well. Since my LHS had to actually order it FROM HH then it probably came from thier warehouse.

There is another user on Helifreak with the same PID that got his Tx on Tuesday and now needs to send it back in order to get this fixed.

If it was in the initial batch recalled (And sent back by the LHS and was fixed) then my Tx has twice now failed to meet basic reliability standards and I really don't want to settle for that (The third time may be when my Heli is up in the air). If it was sent back or returned by an end user then the Tx that I got is considered Factory Refurbished and I didn't pay for that (I don't neccisarly have a problem with Factory Refurbished stuff but I want to at least know it is and have the option)

My LHS owner has a call into his rep to see what can be done about this situation *Crosses fingers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Settle for what? That radio may of been pulled from the shelf, updated then put back on the shelf? Nothing wrong with that. Its still a new radio. What makes it new is that its never been sold and user by a end user. But anyways with their great service I am sure its going to addressed.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:18 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
767 Posts
With one being a hardware item and the other a software item; I would not be to concurned.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer