About freaking time!
So they don't care about electrics, eh?
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Feb 21, 2010, 02:27 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
340 Posts
If I did their product planning...

Building an entirely new hardware and software platform is expensive. Molding a different plastic case is comparatively cheap. And while we can all see that the DX-10t is a tray, they went out of their way to add the "t" to the name. Extrapolation (or wishful thinking) leads me to hope for one of the following:

- A DX-10 in a standard package with all of the same guts and a couple of sliders.
- A JR 10X with the same guts and better styling.
- These guts in the US 11X.

If Spektrum and JR have broken their agreement whereby JR will retain the high-end, then the DX-10 is a no-brainer. What kind of marketing and product planning folks wouldn't figure out how to leverage features this good into a radio that would sell aggressively worldwide?

Launching both a 10X and 11X in the US would be dumb, especially if the 10X offers major features (11ms, telemetry) that the 11X and the 12X don't have. Frankly, the 11X already seems poised to kill 12X sales.

So maybe the likely solution is a non-module 10X using these guts and the 11X case for the US? Drop a channel to keep a few people buying the 12X, use that antenna hole in the 11X case (otherwise such a strange thing to include in a ground-up effort), and position it to compete directly in the $500 segment. The X9503 would then head out to pasture; it really could not have been anything more than a 6-12 month stopgap effort.

Care to comment, JR/Spektrum? Please make us happy in 2010!
CatBird is online now Find More Posts by CatBird
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:32 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird View Post
Frankly, the 11X already seems poised to kill 12X sales.
The thing about the 12X is that it can be seen as a radio for those who can afford it. Granted, it has bells and whistles to spare, but at the end of the day, it's one of those items that a lot of people buy because they have the disposable income for it.

I'm not saying there aren't people out there who need most of those features to fly a certain aircraft. Giant scale and turbines and such certainly could take advantage of all the mixes and switches and channels, no doubt.

That said, it's a Jaguar of a radio. Whoever wants to buy it will buy it, partly because they can say they have the best JR radio in the market, period.

I'm not sure the 11X will kill sales of 12X models, but it certainly might make people reconsider when looking for a high-end transmitter. The 12X will still sell, for both the pros and those in the highest tax bracket (or highest credit-card balance limits).

Now, bring on the bashing against yours truly...
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:25 AM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
340 Posts
12X = Jaguar is probably an apt comparison. It's definitely a sturdy and slick piece, but not equal to the competition at the same price point. Brand loyalty and prestige are probably driving most of those sales. Maybe the 11X would steal 12X sales, maybe not; but from the buzz now, the 11X won't be stealing many sales from the other brands.

I'd like to see JR/Spektrum get in the game and compete with everyone else who's offering more features in the 8-10 channel range and at a better price. These two Spektrum offerings seem to have what it would take technically, but the 10t packaging isn't right for may modelers. I think they could retain a lot of DX7 owners with a value-oriented DX10 and a somewhat slicker 10X.

I'm just hoping that they're thinking in that direction. I have a reasonable investment in Spektrum receivers, and I'd like to step up to something that can handle present and future needs in one package.
CatBird is online now Find More Posts by CatBird
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:33 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird View Post
12X = Jaguar is probably an apt comparison. It's definitely a sturdy and slick piece, but not equal to the competition at the same price point. Brand loyalty and prestige are probably driving most of those sales. Maybe the 11X would steal 12X sales, maybe not; but from the buzz now, the 11X won't be stealing many sales from the other brands.

I'd like to see JR/Spektrum get in the game and compete with everyone else who's offering more features in the 8-10 channel range and at a better price. These two Spektrum offerings seem to have what it would take technically, but the 10t packaging isn't right for may modelers. I think they could retain a lot of DX7 owners with a value-oriented DX10 and a somewhat slicker 10X.

I'm just hoping that they're thinking in that direction. I have a reasonable investment in Spektrum receivers, and I'd like to step up to something that can handle present and future needs in one package.
I think your investment is safe.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 12:26 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,521 Posts
Your investment in receivers is what they are counting on. Spektrum has such a large chunk of the 2.4ghz market, that they simply don't need to have the lowest price point to sell their radios. I'll be all over a standard sized (non-tray) DX 10 if it ever comes out, which I am betting it will. My 9303 has seen better days and needs to be put out to pasture soon and there is no way I am spending money on the 9503.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2010, 01:01 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
Your investment in receivers is what they are counting on. Spektrum has such a large chunk of the 2.4ghz market, that they simply don't need to have the lowest price point to sell their radios. I

Simply a comment on your comment.

I've been VERY active in this Hobby for a lot of years.
I have always stayed up to date with the equipment.

Presently I have the largest number of Rxs I've ever owned at one time ----three !

Perhaps someone can explain to me why so many (people) have so many (Rx's)??

It takes but a very few minutes (15 minutes. max) to change them out. For most of my time in the Hobby I had but two. Primary and back-up .
One class "A", state of the art Tx and two Rx's similarly state of the art.

I can understand a larger number of Rx's as "state of the art" Rxs may be different for Pattern; Sail plane; Heli. as an example. But I have known very few competitors (actually only one) who really were deeply into the other disciplines.

I sincerely do NOT get it.
Particularly when you have highlighted the obvious .....which is that should there be a 'killer set up' newly introduced you are ham strung.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old Mar 02, 2010, 03:32 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
One thing to consider is that in the US Horizon have a full range of radios to make money off: Spektrum branded products at lower end of market and JR at the higher end.

Here in Europe JR are not handled by Horizon. As a company they have a glaring gap in their product portfolio. They will no doubt get a licence fee for use of Spektrum inside the JR stuff but not as good as having own products.

The DX10/EU10 (seeing different pics with names on) was designed in Germany rather than US implying that certainly in Europe they are trying to plug the gap.

Whether you see this stuff in US will be interesting to see.

JR in mainland Europe is sold under Graupner banner. They involved with Weatronic and XPS and not Spektrum. Can buy a 9303 as a DSX9 in UK but can't get equivalent on mainland with Spektrum inside as far as I know (can obviously obtain from UK).

Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Last edited by wildpalms; Mar 02, 2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Added
Old Mar 03, 2010, 07:31 AM
Crowthorne, Berkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2002
211 Posts
Onewasp
You make a good point - I'm guilty of having about 10 aircraft all fully kitted with servos and Rx's. I do like to switch around the ones I fly, so not having to swap receivers is convenient. Also, regular receiver swapping could degrade the connectors/leads and opens up possibilities for wrong connections. It also makes a nonsense of model memories. However, I guess it all depends on your flying habits and how much you're prepared to spend.
TrevC is offline Find More Posts by TrevC
Old Mar 07, 2010, 11:51 PM
Playtoy
Mtl, Canada
Joined Aug 2007
199 Posts
Dx8 & dx10 so far...
Cheetah401 is offline Find More Posts by Cheetah401
Old Mar 08, 2010, 01:50 AM
Joined Dec 2009
221 Posts
still like DX10
flying lx is offline Find More Posts by flying lx
Old Mar 08, 2010, 12:39 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewasp View Post
Presently I have the largest number of Rxs I've ever owned at one time ----three !

Perhaps someone can explain to me why so many (people) have so many (Rx's)??

It takes but a very few minutes (15 minutes. max) to change them out.

I sincerely do NOT get it.
Particularly when you have highlighted the obvious .....which is that should there be a 'killer set up' newly introduced you are ham strung.
Here are my reasons:
  • Model match (you have to rebind every switch too)
  • Time
  • RX's are buried in a couple of my planes - major work to switch
  • Pain to have to label all servo ends
  • 20 models means a lot of swapping
  • I regularly bring 4-5 models to fly - not switching at the field

They are worth every penny to just grab a model and go fly.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:32 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Any new updates on DX8 availability?

I am thinking about the 9503 but if the DX8 comes out soon enough I will stick with the spektrum.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed