Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I have no idea. I'm in engineering.

Andy
And, we, all of us, are really glad you are there....as well as here!!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:51 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined May 2010
101 Posts
Hey Andy,
It was funny when I first started following this thread, I had to look up a name spelling, mistaking your name with Andy Kuntz. (Lead singer of one of my favorite bands 'Vanden Plas'). I bet you get that a lot
That dude can sing, but I bet he can't design RC firmware to save his soul!

Also, let me take this opportunity to say that it's great that you are so active in the forums, and I am impressed to see such quick feedback from you and company with regards to this radio. I will be upgrading from my Dx6i in the spring for sure.

Thanks.

-Rob
circusfreak is offline Find More Posts by circusfreak
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:59 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
I will be upgrading from my Dx6i in the spring for sure. Thanks. -Rob
Just make sure when you do decide to upgrade in the spring that you go ahead and pre-order you're radio so that you have one because the radio do not stay on the shelf to long if even they do at all. ALL SOLD OUT / BACK ORDER.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:12 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,794 Posts
Rob,

Thanks for the compliments. They belong to the whole team. A radio is a huge effort.

Actually, most people googling me ask me about politics. They get me confused with this way-out-left whacko tree hugger who (fortunately) is no relation. I recycle my wood and paper products in a barrel with a match, returning them to CO2 for the trees to digest.

We appreciate the kind comments and positive comments for improvements from the forum members.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2010, 07:59 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Charging Tx battery pack

This is the 3rd time I have charged my Tx battery pack, I waited until the Tx low battery alarm sounded, 4.3v. I then charged for exactly 12 hours. The Tx read 5.5v, I let it sit for one day and now it reads 5.3V. It never seems to reach 6v, and it drops fast from 5.5v, but it does seem to hover at 4.8 for a while then drop to 4.3v quickly. Anyone else get similiar results?
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:20 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,352 Posts
I got 5.8v after charging on my multichemestry charger. and it quickly settle around 5.5V but its hard to get accurate numbers with the display being off a little.

You worry too much about the battery. charge it when it lows and then forget the numbers when the lipo comes out just get that. I know I already got min on order.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:49 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I got 5.8v after charging on my multichemestry charger. and it quickly settle around 5.5V but its hard to get accurate numbers with the display being off a little.

You worry too much about the battery. charge it when it lows and then forget the numbers when the lipo comes out just get that. I know I already got min on order.
I am not worried, I just like to understand what is involved. I might have an LSD NiMH pack made by a company I have seen here on the net.
VP
Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:16 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,057 Posts
You could have a bum batt. Pete. Mine is still on the original charge and have been flying it regularly. Still shows 5.2 volts.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:24 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,352 Posts
I haven't been flying that much cause of the weather but the radio has been on plenty of time for long periords while I mess around with getting to know it better and trying out every single feature and I've been recharging it once or twice a week max but never letting it go to the alarm point. When charging I have been using my AC6. The more I do the better its seem to last
Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
You could have a bum batt. Pete. Mine is still on the original charge and have been flying it regularly. Still shows 5.2 volts.

Gord.
Maybe, but I do have my Tx on for programming and tweaking even when I am not at the field.
VP
Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:26 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I am not worried, I just like to understand what is involved. I might have an LSD NiMH pack made by a company I have seen here on the net.
VP
Just a suggestion and this is what I did..

Took my new pack (sorry different brand of radio ) and let the chargeer run 5 charge-discharge cycles on it. this is a typical routine for a new NIMH pack.

charge rate was 1/10th C and Discharge was a touch over 1/10thC

Also not sure what Spektrum recomends but several manufactures say that the first 5 charges on the wallwart charger should be for 24 hours if the charger has a charging detection circuit, as mine does. If it does it charges at 1/10th C and then drops to 20Ma as a float charge, which u can leave on for up to three days with out worry.

Mike
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:26 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I haven't been flying that much cause of the weather but the radio has been on plenty of time for long periords while I mess around with getting to know it better and trying out every single feature and I've been recharging it once or twice a week max but never letting it go to the alarm point. When charging I have been using my AC6. The more I do the better its seem to last
I will get the proper battery connector so I can cycle the pack on my Passport Ultra.
VP
Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:27 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
Just a suggestion and this is what I did..

Took my new pack (sorry different brand of radio ) and let the chargeer run 5 charge-discharge cycles on it. this is a typical routine for a new NIMH pack.

charge rate was 1/10th C and Discharge was a touch over 1/10thC

Also not sure what Spektrum recomends but several manufactures say that the first 5 charges on the wallwart charger should be for 24 hours if the charger has a charging detection circuit, as mine does. If it does it charges at 1/10th C and then drops to 20Ma as a float charge, which u can leave on for up to three days with out worry.

Mike
Andy
Can you comment on this?
Thanks
VP
Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:54 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I will get the proper battery connector so I can cycle the pack on my Passport Ultra. VP
You can use a servo extension and simply remove the plastic around the end with the pins, the pins spacing is the same as the connector. Check need to pay attention to polarity.

Here is my connector I used COST 0.00$ had lots of extensions lying around.