HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:21 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,375 Posts
I had a little problem with my DX8 on Saturday that ended my day early. I was flying along, heard a "Pting" come from my transmitter and the tension in my right stick went away. I got the plane down just fine but my day was done.

I just took it apart and found the small pin that contacts the spring loaded plastic tab underneath it had pushed through to the other side of its holder so I pushed it back the other way. Problem solved, until next time.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:26 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,194 Posts
Just be glad the 'boss' that it goes through did not break like mine did. I repaired it but took me a long time to quit worrying about it popping loose again.

The whole 'pressed stainless pin through thin plastic housing' thing needs to be revisited there, IMHO.

I'll bet a threaded SS shaft, to a nut would be a lot more secure arrangement, and if a ME with an FEA package took a look at the two approaches, I'll bet it would be a lot more robust against shock and pressure, as well.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:35 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,375 Posts
Yeah, I searched the thread for similar problems and found your post about it. I'm very relieved that mine didn't break like that but I can't help but wonder if a small dab of epoxy or CA would prevent the pin from sliding out again. It's a bit greasy in there so it would have to be cleaned before anything would stick.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:31 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,617 Posts
New Airware for the DX10t is out, hopefully the rest will follow soon. Some major improvements with GPS (distance to home, alarm if too far away) and some bugfixes.
And, the telemetry filename bug should be adressed, so you get different files for different models.

Well done, Andy&Team
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:14 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,225 Posts
Are you allowed to use those words?!?!?!

You're welcome, and danke.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:29 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,617 Posts
Since I have no DX10t I can only hope it works

Also, I am home and sick. Maybe this caused me to say crazy things

Anyway, you do a great job handling all us naggers
Last edited by Mukenukem; Feb 12, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:13 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,963 Posts
Throttle cut revisited:

OK, earlier some of you guys gave me some help figuring this out, and the problem had 'just gone away', but I didn't fully understand it at the time. I started writing a too long post clarifying what confused me, but I'll spare whoever bothers to read this the agony and break it down to 2 simple things I think will help people in the future who've done the same. Judging by earlier posts when I searched it wasn't just me.

1) DO NOT try to program this with the plane powered on! It will confuse your ESC (and therefore you), not to mention can be unsafe. (I kept my prop clear and plane secured when I did this, at least.)

2) The adjustable position ( "POS:" ) given on the programming page adjusts your throttle position with the throttle cut on (throttle disabled), not your idle position with throttle cut off. You use this (In an electric plane) to set the throttle cut to the same position as your lowest throttle position. When you toggle whatever switch you assigned throttle cut to, the carat should not move. (This was the key for me. For some reason, I thought that position variable changed the throttle position with throttle cut off, so I would adjust it and see no movement of the carat and just scratched my head.) 29%, as Freechip told me here, works, but at 30% I see no carat movement.

OK, that was the shortened version! Thanks again for the help. It was my thick skull that took a while for the info to penetrate!
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:22 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,151 Posts
29% vs 30% - You may not see the Tick move when you have the stick in the lowest position and you are looking at the channel monitor in the Throttle Cut Menu page.

But for the fun of it go into the SERVO MONITOR screen where you can actually see numeric values for each channel and see what happens when you use 29% vs 30%.

Of course this is based if you lowes throttle position is low throttle stick and centered or neutral trim..

On gasser you want TC to move the channel PAST what Low Throttle Stick position is in order to stall the engine. Fine for gasser BAD for esc that learns low throttle during power on and if you have TC active. The famous event when you toggle TC off and the motor starts spinning even if the throttle stick is in the lowest position .

PS: It all boils down to knowing how your equipement works and setting it up right.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:25 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Newbie ?'s about DX8 programming

New DX8 arrived this morning and I am trying to get it all setup for my models. It came with really old firmware (2.02) so I upgraded it first thing, After that I loaded setup file for 450x but got a warning that it was an older file and I needed to check subtrims, Subtrims are a No-no for the 300-450 as the onboard beast computer takes care of that,

I did not find subtrim in DX8 but did see "trim" and sure enough throttle is set to 5.
I am thinking they mean subtrim and I should set this to zero?

I am also supposed to inhibit swashplate but it only lets me select # of servos.

Still looking for servo reverse and speed settings

Everything else I have checked has looked ok.

thanks,Fletch
fletch is offline Find More Posts by fletch
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:33 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,225 Posts
When you get that prompt, tell it do its thing. The FBL SPM files should have 0 subtrim, so it won't change anything on you. What it does is change the sign, so if it's 0 then it won't touch it.

SubTrim is on the Servo menu.

The thing you saw is on the Trim Setup screen. Trim != Sub Trim! The number 5 indicates that it should use a step size of 5 when you click the throttle trim.

Set your swashplate type to Normal. That's the same as "inhibited".

You will find the servo reverse and speed settings (you probably don't want to touch Servo Speed) on the Servo menu. Get there by turning on the radio w/o holding down the roller. When you see the heli picture, click the roller to see the Function List.

BTW, roll at the bottom, click at the top. It's much easier to use the roller that way.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:02 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
When you get that prompt, tell it do its thing. The FBL SPM files should have 0 subtrim, so it won't change anything on you. What it does is change the sign, so if it's 0 then it won't touch it.

SubTrim is on the Servo menu.

The thing you saw is on the Trim Setup screen. Trim != Sub Trim! The number 5 indicates that it should use a step size of 5 when you click the throttle trim.

Set your swashplate type to Normal. That's the same as "inhibited".

You will find the servo reverse and speed settings (you probably don't want to touch Servo Speed) on the Servo menu. Get there by turning on the radio w/o holding down the roller. When you see the heli picture, click the roller to see the Function List.

BTW, roll at the bottom, click at the top. It's much easier to use the roller that way.

Andy

Thanks for the help. I see what I was doing wrong. I did not realize the DX8 had sub menus as I am coming from a DX6i. This software appears much more advanced than the 6.

I just wanted to check everything just to be on the safe side. Just have to map all the D/R's to Elevator switch and I am done.

BTW I was looking at the telemetry feature. I know it reads out on the screen but one of the menus makes me think it may save to memory. Do you know if this is true. Would be a fun thing to add , esp with GPS option.

Thanks,
Fletch
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:50 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,617 Posts
Telemetry saving to SD card was added with 2.05/2.06. Till now only 1 big file is created for all models but I think 2.07 will fix that, since the update for the DX10t also fixes that. Let's hope it is coming soon.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:33 AM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Telemetry saving to SD card was added with 2.05/2.06. Till now only 1 big file is created for all models but I think 2.07 will fix that, since the update for the DX10t also fixes that. Let's hope it is coming soon.
Oh that would be sweet If the sensors would fit on my helicopter. Would be great to have a file I could save to computer to know max altitude, gps location etc. More importantly would be batt voltage. Just had a power failure with one of my heli's and not even HH is sure why.

What software do I need to read the file, Excell?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:35 AM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Oh any ideas why it came with the old firmware? Mine shipped from HH just a few days ago yet had 2.02 which I think is pretty old.No biggie, just wondering.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:40 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch View Post
... What software do I need to read the file, Excell?
Either an Apple iDevice and STi App or This.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip