SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtech View Post
Amen! When a person buys a car, he doesn't assume it has an in-dash GPS when no mention is made of it. Why should it be any different with a RC transmitter?

RT
It's not "assuming" anything, as it refers to expecting it having something and finding out otherwise after a purchase. Rather, it's being surprised/disappointed before release that it wasn't even offered in the first place when most, if not all, of the competition offered the same feature in the class/price range.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
You missed the larger point. It is basically not a smart marketing move for reasons stated. Stepping over dollars to pickup dimes. Instead of cost recovery, they should be looking at a larger profit center.
Exactly. As I've said before, think of all the sailplane pilots who chose other multi-hundred dollar radio systems in the same 8 channel class because those companies DID offer that programming. The time for Horizon making that money from them has passed and, now, they won't even get the $30 for the sailplane upgrade...because those sailplane pilots don't have a DX8 in the first place...
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:53 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,091 Posts
What radios would that be that you are referring of ?

PS: I much prefer they come out with a Pay Per Feature for it then to have released a DX8SP (sailplane) with sliders.

Much easier for me to justify to the wife getting the $$ upgrade then buying another radio.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Feb 02, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
What radios would that be that you are referring of ?
Already mentioned JR, so go back and read it.

Oh, and a word to the wise... Be very wary of installing this new sailplane update until the customer reports are coming in that it's well-tested and stable. The last thing you want to do is install it and have it potentially jack up the settings in several (or all) of your other models. It's happened before with Airware updates, so the precedent has been set. I also wouldn't trust a shiny new sailplane to it until it's been well vetted by the rest of their user beta base, i.e. customers.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:05 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,088 Posts
No doubt related to the new Eflite L-13 Blanik so they needed the sailplane programming to help sell their new arf.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:08 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
No doubt related to the new Eflite L-13 Blanik so they needed the sailplane programming to help sell their new arf.
lol
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:12 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,088 Posts
Quote:
lol
Lol all you like. You don't think having sailplane support on the DX8 won't help entice owners to look at the new sailplanes HH happens to sell?
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:17 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhenderson View Post
Already mentioned JR, so go back and read it. < snip >.
Your comparing The Jr.8303 ?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
That is exactly what I was told by the Horizon rep when I emailed them about it. I posted the email response from Horizon rep, Dennis Davenport, earlier in this thread. It's being released along with their new 4m sailplane.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:26 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,088 Posts
Quote:
That is exactly what I was told by the Horizon rep when I emailed them about it. I posted the email from Dennis Davenport earlier in this thread. It's being released along with their new 4m sailplane.
Ya it's pretty obvious since both were announced at same time. Plus the Mystique due out soon as well.

Looks better to have sailplane support on your radios if your pushing sailplanes.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Ya it's pretty obvious since both were announced at same time. Plus the Mystique due out soon as well.

Looks better to have sailplane support on your radios if your pushing sailplanes.
Most definitely...common sense, really, especially when it comes to one of their very most popular radios...
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:35 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,091 Posts
Quote:
Lol all you like. You don't think having sailplane support on the DX8 won't help entice owners to look at the new sailplanes HH happens to sell?
I don't think they need help selling anything.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
I don't think they need help selling anything.
With that line of thought, then why do they even need advertising at all?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:40 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,091 Posts
Quote:
That is exactly what I was told by the Horizon rep when I emailed them about it. I posted the email response from Horizon rep, Dennis Davenport, earlier in this thread. It's being released along with their new 4m sailplane.
Did you edit the email before posting it?

Quote:
Not a rumor. This is the response I received today after asking about the glider programing:

Harry, I have checked with the Spektrum team and we will be bringing out
an update to the DX8 for glider programming. The full details are not
completely worked out yet as far as when it will be released, but they
did confirm that there will be a small charge for the extra programming.
They did not give an exact price but hinted around $30. As soon as they
are ready to bring this out there will be plenty of marketing materials
and announcements that should answer all the specifics about this new
add on. Keep and eye out and you are welcome to contact me anytime for
updates. Thank you for asking the question and hope you have a great
weekend.

Thank You,
Dennis Davenport
Horizon Hobby Online Division
800-338-4639
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Nope. We had a chat session the day before when he said he'd get back to me via email, which he did. He discussed the relation to the new 4m sailplane in the prior chat session and not in the email. Sorry for the confusion.