Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:42 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
Actually, sounds more like asking for extra bacon on your burger, when the burger you ordered didn't come with bacon in the first place.
From a larger dollar perspective it is short sighted. Are they going to make more money on new sail planes or digging for scrapes in one-off upgrade? Does not compute. Subtle marketing error that is not playing to human desire. If programing included in vnext airware, how many dx8 owners are going to install it? Probably most. How many of those will now just *"have" to have a shiny new sail plane to use that new functionality? Probably many (myself included). Remember the long-tail factor here also. However, if you force me to go out of my way to purchase and install a side upgrade, your probably only get the guys who already have sail planes and want to use their dx8. The play here is new shiny sail planes ($200-$300), not 30 dollar software. Expanding the ecosystem is bigger then focus on the crumbs. Error in marketing. MS made it a few times also, and usually ended up with above reasoning.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Last edited by wjs; Feb 02, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:47 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidman View Post
I'm looking forward to the sailplane programming and don't mind paying a reasonable amount for the upgrade. Part of the advanced features of this radio is the processor capability to allow this type of upgrade.

There were two features that I really wanted in the DX8 but I couldn't justify, let alone afford, going to a 10 or 18: telemetry data logging and sailplane programming.

The data logging was a recent free upgrade (a capability the DX8 was never advertised as having) and now the upcoming sailplane programming make me very happy with my DX8.

I hope they have built in provisions for electric sailplanes!
Hey! I was about to write that!
Totally agree

So what about the advertised vario?
Would make the package complete...
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:16 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
<snip> However, if you force me to go out of my way to purchase and install a side upgrade, your probably only get the guys who already have sail planes and want to use their dx8. <snip>
The cool part is nobody is forcing nobody. Just like when you bought the DX8, if it was the right radio for you you didn't have to buy it. If this upgrade isn't for you you don't have to get it.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:18 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
The cool part is nobody is forcing nobody.
You missed the larger point. It is basically not a smart marketing move for reasons stated. Stepping over dollars to pickup dimes. Instead of cost recovery, they should be looking at a larger profit center.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:21 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,193 Posts
You claim this as if they are a young company who doesn't know what they are doing. LOL

They know exactly what they are doing, they will get exsiting owners to buy the upgrade, they will get new buyers who weren't look at the DX8 because of the lack of programming and at the same time they will get people to buy more sailplane.

Sounds like a good plan from where I'm sitting.

They will even get people like me who own the DX18 already with Sailplane want to get the Sailplane programming for my DX8 just so I can have the latest and greatest for it.

Quote:
your probably only get the guys who already have sail planes and want to use their dx8.
No, they will get new DX8 buyers. They will buy the DX8 for 360$, get home update to 2.XX version and then pay to get Sailplane programming.

But at the end of the day I don't work for them and don't really care if they make more or less money but will say there marketing group is pretty good cause they will get more money from existing owners and will get new money from new buyers since now you will get the most advance 8 channel radio with sailplane programming.
Last edited by freechip; Feb 02, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:39 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,783 Posts
Quote:
....They know exactly what they are doing...
Too much confidence if you ask me.

Trust no one. Not even yourself.
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:42 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Too much confidence if you ask me.

Trust no one. Not even yourself.
Check the date of the post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=81
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:59 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
You claim this as if they are a young company who doesn't know what they are doing. LOL
They know exactly what they are doing, they will get exsiting owners to buy the upgrade, they will get new buyers who weren't look at the DX8 because of the lack of programming and at the same time they will get people to buy more sailplane.
Sounds like a good plan from where I'm sitting.
They will even get people like me who own the DX18 already with Sailplane want to get the Sailplane programming for my DX8 just so I can have the latest and greatest for it.
No, they will get new DX8 buyers. They will buy the DX8 for 360$, get home update to 2.XX version and then pay to get Sailplane programming.
But at the end of the day I don't work for them and don't really care if they make more or less money but will say there marketing group is pretty good cause they will get more money from existing owners and will get new money from new buyers since now you will get the most advance 8 channel radio with sailplane programming.
They are young (not that it matters). 2005 was the first spektrum copyright they claim. All I am saying is creating and maintaining another SKU for this is a waste of time. Integrate in the airware, along with everything else that will make this the best radio and sell the Radio!! You get new buyers, you feed the old buyers. The old buyers feed the new buyers. It all a happy party. Building the ecosystem is the end game here. The cost recovery comes inside that with benefits. We can agree to disagree. No worries.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:08 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,193 Posts
Agree to disagree yes.

It's not the limited few here not happy that will put a dent in there plans.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:14 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,783 Posts
Quote:
What I am trying to say is: I do not know any (big or small) company's that don't make (small and huge) errors in strategy.
To put it short and bolt: nobody makes the right choices all the time.
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:18 PM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
Removed by User
Retiredtech is offline Find More Posts by Retiredtech
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:18 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,193 Posts
@ Struggleforlife - Sorry I misunderstood the Too much confidence as directed towards me hence why I linked the two year old post.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:35 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,326 Posts
Actually, RT, we DO care a lot. We're all on the same team. We eat lunch together, play with our models together, and work on technical stuff together. In the end, my pay depends on how well we ALL do, not just Spektrum.

As for our "age" you might not understand that many of the people in Marketing have been around this for 20+ years. They aren't all spring chickens ... The DX8 isn't the first transmitter I ever wrote (more like the fifth), and there are ways to manage software SKUs that don't complicate things too badly. At my last employer I had 8 different SKUs built on a single set of files.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:46 PM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
Removed by User
Retiredtech is offline Find More Posts by Retiredtech
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:59 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,326 Posts
Not, at least from what I see. We're all working together for the maximum benefit.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor