HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:25 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,482 Posts
I'm trying to get my first flaps setup to work with my DX8 without full success.

I have the flaps function assigned to the Flaps switch. I have tried adjusting the Speed to several different settings and the elevator to 16% for Land(ing). The elevator responds to the Speed adjustments but the flaps althought they work do not respond to the speed adjustment (they do not slow down). The flaps are connected to my 6 channel receiver Gear channel with a Y cable, the servo types are MPX Nano-S. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any guidance!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:04 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
I'm trying to get my first flaps setup to work with my DX8 without full success.

I have the flaps function assigned to the Flaps switch. I have tried adjusting the Speed to several different settings and the elevator to 16% for Land(ing). The elevator responds to the Speed adjustments but the flaps althought they work do not respond to the speed adjustment (they do not slow down). The flaps are connected to my 6 channel receiver Gear channel with a Y cable, the servo types are MPX Nano-S. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any guidance!
I think you need separate channels.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:13 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,577 Posts
@ itsme2 - What Wing Type do you have selected? Using a Dual Aileron 1 Flap wing typem the DX8 assigns the flap function to the Gear channel.

Make the proper wing type selection and connect everything based on the Servo Monitor re-naming of the channels. Then assign a switch to the Flap Function in the Flap Menu and everything will work.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:57 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,276 Posts
itsme2- are you adjusting the speed IN the FLAP MENU ? where you can put elevator in with the flap %....the speed option is on the very bottom left of the screen.
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:00 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I never held mine before getting it but I knew I would luv it since the fit of the 8 was great the 18 could only be better (to me).
Same here. I was the guinea pig for my LHS.

Now the guy who I thought would surely buy my DX8 has decided he wants a DX18 instead. He's lucky he has me.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:53 AM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
hallo alle
Ich besitze ein DX10t
Sie wissen, wenn in der nächsten Aktualisierung:
es wird eine Zeit zwischen Hubschrauber im Flug-Modus?
fraiddy
fraiddy is offline Find More Posts by fraiddy
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:06 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiddy View Post
hallo alle
Ich besitze ein DX10t
Sie wissen, wenn in der nächsten Aktualisierung:
es wird eine Zeit zwischen Hubschrauber im Flug-Modus?
fraiddy
wenn ein neues Update veröffentlicht wird, gibt es immer eine Readme-Datei, dass youncan und sehen lesen, was wurde aktualisiert, verändert und korrigiert werden.
Last edited by freechip; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Hoping google translate did a good job
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,482 Posts
Quote:
@ itsme2 - What Wing Type do you have selected? Using a Dual Aileron 1 Flap wing typem the DX8 assigns the flap function to the Gear channel.

Make the proper wing type selection and connect everything based on the Servo Monitor re-naming of the channels. Then assign a switch to the Flap Function in the Flap Menu and everything will work.
Ok, got my wing type sorted and Flaps speed control working, have to use a servo reverser device to get one flap servo to go in the right direction. Now that servo is a little slower than the other and the other servo does not have as much travel.

I'd like to try setting up my flaps on 2 channels.

I'm using an Orange 6 channel receiver with my DX8, flaps currently hooked up to the Gear channel with a Y cable, Gear channel controlled by the Flaps switch, only available channel is Aux1. How do I get the the Aux1 channel to also be controlled by the Flaps switch? Do I need to do anything else to make this setup work with Flaps speed control?

Thank you!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:16 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,577 Posts
Change your wing type to single aileron and Y your aileron servos. While changing wing type to single aileron select 1 Aileron 2 Flap.

Check servo monitor to see what channels got renamed to RFL and LFL, right and left flaps. Make your flap connections accordingly. You will then be able to reverse your flap servo and you will be able to fine tuned them individually.

Selecting a 1 Aileron 2 Flap Wing type makes use of the Aux1 & Aux2 for RFL & LFL.
Go to the System Setup Menu, Switch Select and INH Gear:Gear so it's now Gear:Inh.
Go to the Function List Menu, Mix# and create a Flap>Gear mix using 100% rates for both directions.

Now connect your right flap servo in the Aux1 receiver port and connect your left flap servo in the Gear receiver port.
Last edited by freechip; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added Step by Step
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Change your wing type to single aileron and Y your aileron servos. While changing wing type to single aileron select 1 Aileron 2 Flap.

Check servo monitor to see what channels got renamed to RFL and LFL, right and left flaps. Make your flap connections accordingly. You will then be able to reverse your flap servo and you will be able to fine tuned them individually.

Selecting a 1 Aileron 2 Flap Wing type makes use of the Aux1 & Aux2 for RFL & LFL.
Go to the System Setup Menu, Switch Select and INH Gear:Gear so it's now Gear:Inh.
Go to the Function List Menu, Mix# and create a Flap>Gear mix using 100% rates for both directions.

Now connect your right flap servo in the Aux1 receiver port and connect your left flap servo in the Gear receiver port.
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,482 Posts
Quote:

So far I am unable to get this to work.

When I go to Servo Monitor I can see RFL & LFL. When I activate my Flap switch I see the indicator for both advance to the right. Only the right servo moves. I cannot tell which channels RFL & LFL are assigned to.

When I go to the MIXING screen The only FLP adjustment I see says: "ELE>FLP", the screen indicates UP/DOWN 100%, SW: INH.

I have all switches in SW SELECT set to: INH. I can get both servos to move from the Flap switch by changing Flap: to Gear and one sevro has speed control and the other does not.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:00 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,577 Posts
From what you posted I can tell you that your issues is from your lack of how it works or should work.

#1 most important thing to do is select the proper wing type to use. In order to do this you must know WHAT wing type to use and WHY.

The reason I recommended you use 1 Aileron 2 Flap wing type is based on two things, #1 you wanted seperate flaps or I suggested seperate flaps to deal with your servo moving in the wrong direction. #2 it's based on the # of channels you receiver has.

Selecting 1 Aileron 2 Flap when you view the servo monitor you will see the following list of channels.
THR
AIL
ELE
RUD
GER
RFL
LFL
AX3

As you can see LFL is just before AX3 and that means the radio assigned channels and assigned them based on you using a 7ch receiver.

The mixing I provided you with is to create a COPY of the LFL (Aux2) channel to the Gear channel. This of course is also based on having the gear channel on your receiver free for use.

You need to select a user mix #1-6 and NOT USE the PRESET MIxes provided.

The only you should be doing in the SWITCH SELECT menu is INHIBITING the GEAR:GEAR so that the gear switch does not affect the now mixed gear channel.

Then you use the Flap Menu to select what switch to use for flaps and assign the values for each position and the delay you want to use.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:09 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Hey Freechip, good to see you're staying active in the winter, unlike me lol. got a quick question, after a long absence from flying (ever since it dropped below 0) I picked up a little nano so I could at least practice indoors. Strangest thing, when I hit the throttle hold, it will beep and it's started sticking on that beep. Like when I crash, which is when I use the TH obviously, it will go beeeeeeeeeeep for several seconds, long after I've let go of all the controls and picked up the heli, it's still beeping. Then suddenly it will just stop. Anybody else ever have this happen to their dx8? I haven't used it since around october I'm guessing. Hopefully its something that doesn't require sending my radio away for.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,577 Posts
No but you can buy lunch and I will go look at it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:45 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Lmao
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi