SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:02 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Jam View Post
The DX8 was never and has never been promoted as a glider transmitter, if you had performed your due diligence you would have known that.

Mike
When I bought my DX8 I was not into gliders yet. Guess I fell for the "Most Advanced 8-ch radio"-gimmick too, believeing it could provide whatever I would possibly need in the future. And the DX18 was not available two years ago, either
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:07 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Could you put a servo slower on the throttle? They cost only a few bucks.
It will still be delay both ways, and the space is very limited in those fuselages.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:11 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2020 View Post
I've noticed firmware errors that affect DX8 functionality also. You can't be sure the DX18 doesn't have the same kind of problems as well.

What you could do instead, is to use a hardware solution. This web site has a servo recorder/player..

http://www.bpesolutions.com/rcequip.html

Unfortunately, those items are not inexpensive. Did you try using another channel for throttle control?
No room in the plane for a HW solution, I'm afraid. Yes, assigning the AUX3 channel for throttle control can be done, but then the throttle curve will be linear. No way to have throttle curve and servo delay at the same time, not with the throttle channel for throttle either.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:17 AM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
When I bought my DX8 I was not into gliders yet. Guess I fell for the "Most Advanced 8-ch radio"-gimmick too, believeing it could provide whatever I would possibly need in the future. And the DX18 was not available two years ago, either
So sell it and get an 18 if that is what your needs our now. I not sure what your getting at. There will always be vNext radios. Two years from now, there will be something else you will want/need.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:40 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
582 Posts
I'm still trying to rap my head around ("basic" special class of glider function) Especially since the function desired was for a hotliner. When I starting shopping for a new Tx, the decision came down to a DX8 or a DX18 knowing I wanted to learn more about gliders and how to fly them successfully. I'm still learning about gliders... Even though I really wanted a DX18 because it had sailplane setups, the decision of which to buy came down to price. I'm sure we all would love to buy the Tx we really want and then settle for a DX8 cause, like me, another $400 to $700 can be better spent on necessities. Besides... if I can fly gliders on a DX6, I can figure it out on a DX8 for sure. Not complaining about the DX8 in any way but it seems to me that including sailplane setups would be a matter of programming. Using my DX8 and my gliders, I seem to find thermals anyway. Most rewarding if you ask me...
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:05 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
So sell it and get an 18 if that is what your needs our now. I not sure what your getting at. There will always be vNext radios. Two years from now, there will be something else you will want/need.
Are you sure an DX18 is what I need? Going through the manual and I can't find any documentation about motor speeds/TC&servo delay together/timer countdown when button is pressed and so on......
I will absolutely NOT buy a DX18 based on the assuption "it's a sailplane radio so my basic special glider needs will be met"
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:47 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,827 Posts
Don't assume anything, go out to yous LHS if you have one and hold it in your hands and see if it's the right radio for you.

DX18 has servo setup speed adjustment for both direction of travel. (something you mentioned before)
DX18 has Throttle Cut Delay, slow ramp up and then normal control and TC engages instantly.

If you don't have an LHS try visiting clubs or place people fly so you can try and hold on.
I never held mine before getting it but I knew I would luv it since the fit of the 8 was great the 18 could only be better (to me).
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:50 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
I was afraid of that answer.
Was hoping to get my 8 to provide this rather basic function.
Did you download the RadioPro SPM file or the Sailplane SPM file provided for it?

I used my DX8 for my RP which I think would fall under Basic Glider and it worked well.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:12 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
Just a quick curiosity question for folks in this forum. I'm located in the NorthEast, (outside Washington D.C.) and weather has us all pretty much in building mode, but when the temp gets over 50 our flying field is crowded. And that's what prompts my question.

When you go to the field, how many aircraft do you take with you? Typically, I take 3 planes. I'll take my RussiaStik,(electric) a Gasser, (my Zodiac with 20cc) and a Nitro plane (the RV-4).

Just curious...

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:39 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,827 Posts
Couple places I fly on regular basis are pretty close, within 10minute drive so I only bring 1or2 with several packs unless I was just going out to test fly something then it's only 1 with 1 pack.

When I want to fly my bigger stuff, I have another location thats a 30min drive and I will bring 2-3 planes with lots of packs. But sometimes I get together with my brother and we want to make it a day so we bring all we can fit in the truck.

It all depends on YOU.
My problem now is my stuff keeps getting bigger & bigger so I find myself not being able to bring as many as I used too.

Old pic from a day of flying, the smallest plane is the pkz Corsair at 44''

PS: I have a hard enough time to get my wife not to be mad at me for buying RC stuff I highly doubt a closed trailer pruchase for my RC will work out good, it may turn into a bedroom on wheels.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:24 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
My wife WANTS me to purchase a trailer so she can kick me out of the one bedroom that I have turned into an "upstairs" shop. As the flying sites started evaporating here in the DC area, I turned to Parkfly electrics, but they just were not satisfying.. before long I returned to the big birds, but still retain one or two electrics,
Start of the return.... E-flight next to old .90

RussiaStik electric constantly in the trunk

Highly modified Diamante... electric that sometimes comes along

gear up

Quarter scales

EAA bipe

and latest, RV-4

Sometimes I'll swap in the old standby built back in the 70's but still fun to fly... This was restored last year with all new covering once the original Silk & dope fabric was removed.

I need to be pretty creative to get 3 birds in the back of my Jeep Commander.

KKKKFL
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:13 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Did you download the RadioPro SPM file or the Sailplane SPM file provided for it?

I used my DX8 for my RP which I think would fall under Basic Glider and it worked well.
Yes, and it works fine in two of my planes (different tweaks were necessary , such as reprogramming the mixes for a 6ch setup with the AR6255)
By all means, you CAN fly gliders with the DX8. I have at least 5 different gliders all operated by the DX8. But the shortcomings are clear to me now.
Still love the DX8, tho, for the things it CAN do, it does pretty well
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:24 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
When you go to the field, how many aircraft do you take with you? Typically, I take 3 planes. I'll take my RussiaStik,(electric) a Gasser, (my Zodiac with 20cc) and a Nitro plane (the RV-4).
Depends on the mood, but usually only 5 or 6.

Electric Kaos-40
Leader 480
T-28
Micro Kaos and/or Shrike and/or T-20
Micro A-10

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:56 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,827 Posts
What about the telemetry test bed / stryker ?

That one at work?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:22 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
I only have the old Red Eindecker w/o Telemetry. Everything else is "T'ed" up.

KKKKFL