HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:12 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,843 Posts
On setups where I have multiple identical packs, using Voltage Telemetry and using the Timer to count up has showed me that some of these identical packs for the same setup do not all have matching times hence performance as decreased in some pack earlier than others.

Identifying them this way as help me use only those packs that are still performing good.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Dec 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
On setups where I have multiple identical packs, using Voltage Telemetry and using the Timer to count up has showed me that some of these identical packs for the same setup do not all have matching times hence performance as decreased in some pack earlier than others.

Identifying them this way as help me use only those packs that are still performing good.
And knowing the mAh they had given out when the voltage alarm goes off would help even more :-)
aV8erUK is offline Find More Posts by aV8erUK
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:52 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aV8erUK View Post
Calculating battery capacity used would be incredibly useful. No one said it would be used instead of a voltage alarm. All the other RC manufacturers I've looked at are including it.

If I'm driving my car, I like to have a fuel gauge to give me some idea how much gas I have left. Just having to rely on the tank nearly empty light to come on on the dash would be very unsatisfactory.

Besides, just using the voltage alarm has the alarm going off every time I open the throttle from about half flight onwards.
Then you need to set a different value.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:34 AM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
And knowing the mAh they had given out when the voltage alarm goes off would help even more :-)
I agree that would be valuable for battery mgmt info. But really only if there was a high road solution to log bat name, v-start, v-end, mAh output, and datetime from the tx to a richer device (i.e. iPhone, etc). Sneaker net will not work in general. If it become a chore to do it, it don't get done. Think lean.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:58 AM
Joined Dec 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Then you need to set a different value.
OK, maybe I'm just misusing it or missing something. How do other people set it?
If I set it so it doesn't go off when I open the throttle, then it doesn't go off in the cruise even when the battery is flat.
Should I set it to a voltage that only starts to go off when I open throttle near the end of a flight? It all seems very hit and miss. I then have to be banging open the throttle just to check my battery.

Meanwhile, I call scale competition manoeuvres for a mate who uses Jeti Gear, about every minute I shout out how many mAh he's used, it all makes for a very relaxed flight, at about 3/4 of pack capacity he starts thinking about backing off and setting up for a landing etc.. all the time I'm telling him what he's used.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:22 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,037 Posts
Quote:
OK, maybe I'm just misusing it or missing something. How do other people set it?
If I set it so it doesn't go off when I open the throttle, then it doesn't go off in the cruise even when the battery is flat.
Should I set it to a voltage that only starts to go off when I open throttle near the end of a flight? It all seems very hit and miss. I then have to be banging open the throttle just to check my battery.

Meanwhile, I call scale competition manoeuvres for a mate who uses Jeti Gear, about every minute I shout out how many mAh he's used, it all makes for a very relaxed flight, at about 3/4 of pack capacity he starts thinking about backing off and setting up for a landing etc.. all the time I'm telling him what he's used.
That is the issue with using voltage, it is more a measure of strength not capacity. Depending on how hard you are pushing it you may or may not get the alarm in time due to the quick voltage drop off. mah gives a much better indication of actual capacity used, not a simple point in time strength reading. When you start running an hex or oct this gets even worse since there is such a variation between voltage at hover and under heavier throttle, the voltage alarm may either cut in too often or too late.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:44 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
That is the issue with using voltage, it is more a measure of strength not capacity. Depending on how hard you are pushing it you may or may not get the alarm in time due to the quick voltage drop off. mah gives a much better indication of actual capacity used, not a simple point in time strength reading. When you start running an hex or oct this gets even worse since there is such a variation between voltage at hover and under heavier throttle, the voltage alarm may either cut in too often or too late.
Yeah, but if your pack can't deliver its nominal voltage, then it's on its way out or under powered for the application.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:48 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Yeah, but if your pack can't deliver its nominal voltage, then it's on its way out or under powered for the application.
But if it is a strong pack the voltage drop will be minimal and flat until the very end so there is less time for an indication before sudden dropoff.

I'm not saying there is no value in knowing voltage but mah used is a much more linear indicator that voltage so much easier to know actual remaining capacity and in turn flight time.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joined Dec 2010
106 Posts
Can't we just have both mAh and Volts? is that being too greedy?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:57 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,037 Posts
Quote:
Apparently it seems that way. Spektrum will eventually add mAh but not until competitors force them to I suspect.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:11 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
DX8 telemetry recording length

Hello,

I have one question regarding the recording length of telemetry in DX8. After a flight I put the SD card into my computer and send the SPEKTRUM.TLM file via mail to myself.

On my iPad I load the mailed file in STi application. My flight today way 7:10 minutes long, but the file shows only a length of 02:20 minutes.

Why?

I also deleted the SPEKTRUM.TLM on my DX8 after my next flight the file is back (thats OK), but all old flight data is still in there. That's annoying.

Why could I not rename the telemetry log file for each model?

Sorry if I missed anything within this thread which already answers one of my above questions, but I used the search function and found nothing appropriate.

Kind regards

Michael
mleops is offline Find More Posts by mleops
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:26 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,843 Posts
This has already been covered but here goes again.

The Time issue with the STi App has been reported and fixed for the next update. When? People that know Can't Confirm Nor Deny anything of that nature.

The File on the SD card is store as one file thats updated with all the new flights, Requests have been made to allow name change but that we will only know if it happens when a Airware update is release, again the Can't Confirm Nor Deny clause comes into play.

If you deleted the file on the SD card then previous flights would also have been deleted, did you deleted the email as well when you viewed the NEW file and found out old flights were still logged?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:12 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,068 Posts
Quote:
http://www.mikrokopter.us/shop/radio...r-elec-air-mod
If only they sold something like Graupner has.

All-in-one unit has:

1. Vario
2. Altitude Display
3. 2x Temp/Voltage measurements
4. Single cell measurement (voltage of each cell)
5. Current & Capacity measurement

All of this for $115. If Spektrum could release something like this in one box they'd sell a boatload of them I'd imagine.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:16 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
This has already been covered but here goes again.
Hi freechip,

thanks a lot for the repeated answer. Searching and finding is a complex job

Regarding the deletion of the file. I deleted the complete file on the SD card. There was nothing more on SD card. After next flight, the file was back again with all the flight from before. Looks like they where also stored inside the DX8.

I will check this out again and report.

thanks for your help

Michael
mleops is offline Find More Posts by mleops
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:23 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
http://www.mikrokopter.us/shop/radio...r-elec-air-mod
If only they sold something like Graupner has.

All-in-one unit has:

1. Vario
2. Altitude Display
3. 2x Temp/Voltage measurements
4. Single cell measurement (voltage of each cell)
5. Current & Capacity measurement

All of this for $115. If Spektrum could release something like this in one box they'd sell a boatload of them I'd imagine.
Yes that would be ideal.
Site Sponsor