SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:04 AM
Germany, NDS, Uetze
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
The capacity is critical for guys that fly multirotors. When the battery gets low we can't float home on servo power, it turns into a 12 pound brick. Max current is worthless to us in the air for a normal flight. Flying FPV, the capacity used in the battery can be critical to know when it is time to turn around so you have enough juice to get back home.
What's normal Flight? For me it's 3D sometimes and so I would like to know the voltage of the worse cell during flying max power (which results in max current).

But anyway. HH give us neither capacity nor cell voltage.

Frank
Xantrix is offline Find More Posts by Xantrix
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:17 AM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
The problem I have with the current sensor is that it would have been so easy for Spektrum to add voltage and capacity to the output with very little increase in cost, they choose not to for whatever reason and left some people a little underwhelmed.

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:19 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,098 Posts
Quote:
The capacity is critical for guys that fly multirotors. <snip>
I fly multirotors and I monitor voltage, my controller also monitors voltage and not capacity.

When the packs reachs a certain voltage it's time to come in and land. It's pretty simple too.

PS: Not saying one is better than the other, just saying what we currently have works very well even for multirotors.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:22 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,093 Posts
Quote:
The capacity is critical for guys that fly multirotors. When the battery gets low we can't float home on servo power, it turns into a 12 pound brick. Max current is worthless to us in the air for a normal flight. Flying FPV, the capacity used in the battery can be critical to know when it is time to turn around so you have enough juice to get back home.
Agreed. Having that would be a big plus. Voltage monitoring is not idea especially with newer better lipos that run fairly flat then drop off suddenly.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:33 AM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I fly multirotors and I monitor voltage, my controller also monitors voltage and not capacity.

When the packs reachs a certain voltage it's time to come in and land. It's pretty simple too.

PS: Not saying one is better than the other, just saying what we currently have works very well even for multirotors.
Seems to work well. I use the balance lead voltage alarms and have not diched yet because of LVC (knock on wood).
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:34 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,098 Posts
Mine is supposed to LAND but haven't tested it nor plan on testing it. I see LED flash I land.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Dec 2010
108 Posts
Calculating battery capacity used would be incredibly useful. No one said it would be used instead of a voltage alarm. All the other RC manufacturers I've looked at are including it.

If I'm driving my car, I like to have a fuel gauge to give me some idea how much gas I have left. Just having to rely on the tank nearly empty light to come on on the dash would be very unsatisfactory.

Besides, just using the voltage alarm has the alarm going off every time I open the throttle from about half flight onwards.

Oh - can anyone tell me where to find the Amps gauge on the iPhone app?
aV8erUK is offline Find More Posts by aV8erUK
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:44 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aV8erUK View Post
Oh - can anyone tell me where to find the Amps gauge on the iPhone app?
There is none. I think the STI app is way behind. Again....
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:48 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantrix View Post
In short: I would like to know the voltage of the worse cell with max current during flight. That's the only voltage I need. Then the capacity would be only for comfort reasons.

Frank
That could be done with a microcontroller and a little programming skills. Take 12 or 14 analog inputs (Attiny 828 for example, a relatively new one) and output the lowest voltage, also analog on another pin. Feed it into the voltage sensor lead, voila.
Unfortunately I am a programming noob, but maybe someone who knows how to program Atmels can do it.
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:58 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
There is none. I think the STI app is way behind. Again....
Fortunately a number of osd will monitor the mah used. It why I've never bothered to use the Spektrum telemetry. I mainly just time my flight if not using an osd.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:44 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantrix View Post
What's normal Flight? For me it's 3D sometimes and so I would like to know the voltage of the worse cell during flying max power (which results in max current).

But anyway. HH give us neither capacity nor cell voltage.

Frank
Yeah voltage is pretty useless. If you were going on that alone you could fly way past max capacity on a tame flight, or cut your flight unnecessarily short on an aggressive flight.
A true mAh used sensor would be useful, but until we get one of those I think a timer is still the best approach. That, and checking the true capacity and/or IR of your lipos periodically to make sure you know what you've got.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:52 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,333 Posts
BTW, don't know about the DX10, but the DX8 is totally worth it regardless of telemetry options. The only thing that annoys me about the DX8 is that it's so good I can't come up with a plausible reason for getting a DX18
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:58 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Yeah voltage is pretty useless. If you were going on that alone you could fly way past max capacity on a tame flight, or cut your flight unnecessarily short on an aggressive flight.
A true mAh used sensor would be useful, but until we get one of those I think a timer is still the best approach. That, and checking the true capacity and/or IR of your lipos periodically to make sure you know what you've got.
And some will find the Mah used useless as well if it comes out in the future. What gets to me is when people post it's useless "voltage", what should be said is that it's useless for yourself. It may very well be very useful to someone else.

On that note, I personaly rely on Voltage sensor WAY before timer, for th esame reasons people give why voltage may not be as accurate as MAH used for there application, the same is said for the timer.

I only make use of the timer for counting up on planes with telemetry and rely purely on voltage monitoring, haven't crash yet from lost of power and my pack still serve me very well.

Remember, Voltage Sensor may be useless for you but not for others.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:01 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
<snip> The only thing that annoys me about the DX8 is that it's so good I can't come up with a plausible reason for getting a DX18
You're right it is good. I didn't think I would ever upgrade after that. But considering how much I luv this hobby and how into it I am it took less then two years to run into limitations of the DX8. These limitations are based on what I wanted to do with my radio and models not because the DX8 is not a capable radio.

As good as it is I couldn't go back anymore.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:19 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
And some will find the Mah used useless as well if it comes out in the future. What gets to me is when people post it's useless "voltage", what should be said is that it's useless for yourself. It may very well be very useful to someone else.
Yes you're quite right I should have qualified that.

And I should add that while I've found the voltage sensor to be not at all helpful for determining flight length, I did find it to be very interesting for a while. In fact it was noticing the difference between the voltage plots in flight of various lipos which made me realize I ought to take much better care of my lipos, get a better charger, and start checking them periodically.