HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:07 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
Quote:
you can modify the Throttle Response from a Straight Line (1 for 1), to some type of Curve that will approximate a Linear Response.
Or a nonlinear response --- say, you want a lot of stick movement right around the hover point at midstick, so you can get onto the hover easily, then have plenty of range for fine tuning around that point.... so an "S" curve with exponential on both ends would be the right approach.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,404 Posts
[QUOTE=Buschbarber;23627465]Anyone can benefit from Throttle Curves. In many cases, the response of an engine does not correspond, linearly, to the movement of the Throttle stick. This could be due to the Throttle Linkage, Carburetor, or other factors.

With the Throttle Curve program, you can modify the Throttle Response from a Straight Line (1 for 1), to some type of Curve that will approximate a Linear Response.[/

I take it that the above would not apply to electric motor powered planes correct?
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,104 Posts
[QUOTE=itsme2;23628283]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
Anyone can benefit from Throttle Curves. In many cases, the response of an engine does not correspond, linearly, to the movement of the Throttle stick. This could be due to the Throttle Linkage, Carburetor, or other factors.

With the Throttle Curve program, you can modify the Throttle Response from a Straight Line (1 for 1), to some type of Curve that will approximate a Linear Response.[/

I take it that the above would not apply to electric motor powered planes correct?
I think you will find that Throttle Curves are useful for aircraft with any type of power system.
Buschbarber is online now Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:32 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,592 Posts
[QUOTE=itsme2;23628283]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
Anyone can benefit from Throttle Curves. In many cases, the response of an engine does not correspond, linearly, to the movement of the Throttle stick. This could be due to the Throttle Linkage, Carburetor, or other factors.

It is not a cure all.
On electrics -as well as gassers glows etc., you are likely to never see a throttle response which is a straight line (power increase to stick movement ) FEELS equal. so as you learn more about throttle control, you will likely find that searching for some ideal curve is not really worth the effort.
If you change prop type - the response will feel different -
Not getting the linkage correct on engines is the usual reason responses are weird.
On electrics - doing a total mismatch of motor/prop/ model - will do the same thing .
But fiddle with the curve- you will eventually find a stick postion you like for your own flying style (?) and then you can put this sweet spot where you want it -on all your models .
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:09 AM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausageroll View Post
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the response. Its nice to know its not possible in a way, as that will stop me trying to work it out!!

If you could implement it in a future update, I think it would make the altitude module far more useful. I guess with my GPS guided multi rotors taking fingers off sticks is not so bad, but for helicopters and planes, people probably would rather not know their altitude at all than run the risk taking their fingers off the sticks. It in ways defeats the object of having the altitude module.

I will carry on using the system as is, flicking between pages, and I really hope that its possible to customise the page display soon.

Pete.
I really don't think anyone flying a helicopter is going to take their eyes off their heli long enough to read telemetry data off the screen, at least I wouldn't. Personally, I would take my fingers off the sticks before taking my eyes off the heli. As long as I can set an appropriate alarm I'm pretty happy. Still, I like the idea of being able to customize the display order, etc.. Good suggestion...
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:12 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
I really don't think anyone flying a helicopter is going to take their eyes off their heli long enough to read telemetry data off the screen, at least I wouldn't. Personally, I would take my fingers off the sticks before taking my eyes off the heli. As long as I can set an appropriate alarm I'm pretty happy. Still, I like the idea of being able to customize the display order, etc.. Good suggestion...
Another reason we need a usb and an api. Could plug some HUD glasses in and have all your data in your eyes. And have shades to boot. Get our Minority Report tech going.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,358 Posts
Doesn't the STi app using the audio output work for you guys?
I don't ever look at the data when flying, but listen to audio outputs every 5 seconds.

Apart from that the only utility is in playback mode where you can visually watch what
went on.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
Removed by User
Retiredtech is offline Find More Posts by Retiredtech
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:11 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtech View Post
The STi app doesn't work correctly with the iPad. The spoken data isn't correct (doesn't change) when displaying the GPS data page:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...535515&page=26
This and several other problems with the app. Hopefully they will get them corrected real soon.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...i#post23330851
Another reason they should address the last-mile problem. With the STi, a trigger/Action macro system would be probably help. Let people assign actions. On TX side, it would have to be an api and a usb or some other sort of interface that would be better (which I can not think of one).
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:40 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,358 Posts
But it does work on my iPhone... and I seem to recall that spoken data worked when I transfered data to my wife's iPad, but that may well have been before I had GPS working.

I'm still struggling to make some use of the GPS... for the most part I have to agree with my detractors that Telemetry is just the latest gimmick... I do find a real benefit to spoken Altitude, Airspeed, and Temp, (RPM to a lesser extent) For electrics, voltage is good info, but I rarely push my electrics to anything close to the limit, so it is more of a warm feeling indication.

I playback GPS data and sometimes modify subsequent landing patterns, (start approach a little lower, or square off base tto final leg, but its not something I cannot do visually on the next flight without a little pre-flight thought.

In our club of 200 plus members, of which something less than half show up at the field on any given weekend, I am the ONLY one that has Telemetry. And, that should tell you something.

KKKKFL
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:45 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
I am the ONLY one that has Telemetry. And, that should tell you something.
You're outstanding at your field.

Sorry, too good not to!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:57 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,334 Posts
Quote:
... for the most part I have to agree with my detractors that Telemetry is just the latest gimmick... ... KKKKFL
Latest gimmick is the term given by those who don't have it and/or use it.

Knowing your receiver voltage, flight pack voltage is a great tool for me and my electric planes. Knowing I flew my PKZ Corsair up to 1530+ft with the altimeter was also a great tool in showing how high I went (proof & not guessing) and the Flight Log info showing that on that 1530+ft high flight my signal was almost perfect with only 5 fades on ant.A.

A good indicator my setup is near perfectly installed in this plane. Gimmick? NOT FOR ME it isn't.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,104 Posts
Monitoring engine RPM and Head Temp is also very useful. On my electrics, I not only monitor Rx voltage, but Motor battery voltage and temp. This past summer was hot. Some of my 12S Motor batteries were heating up to 130 deg F prematurely. I received the warning and landed without incident.

For years, the elders of our club have ranted about flying over 400ft. They put up silhouette signs to use as a reference, but no one really could tell if a certain size aircraft was above 400ft. What a surprise when we started using Altitude Telemetry.

No more of a Gimmick than when Servo Reversing and Dual Rates were added to transmitters.
Buschbarber is online now Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:12 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,358 Posts
Yes, yes, I have made all of those arguments too! I think Freechip nailed it "Those that don't have it, criticize. But they had to admit the usefulness several weekends ago when the discussion turned to the 400' question. I volunteered to show all just how high the 400' suggested altitude really is...

Today, I cannot fly without it. not having the audio going into my ear is like going to the flight line with your zipper down..

Having Telemetry does provide interesting feedback too. I am constantly amazed at the speed differences that I see BETWEEN different planes as they go through similar maneuvers. And, Buschbarber, you are spot on WRT electrics, where I monitor the temp of the ESC by wrapping the sensor around my 60 amp'er in the aerobatic models. In hover, the temp climbs pretty quickly to 110 degrees at which point I drop the nose and let things cool down. Only Telemetry allows me to do this. The other approach "The Smoke Test" gets expensive.

KKKKFL.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Yes, yes, I have made all of those arguments too! I think Freechip nailed it "Those that don't have it, criticize. But they had to admit the usefulness several weekends ago when the discussion turned to the 400' question. I volunteered to show all just how high the 400' suggested altitude really is...

Today, I cannot fly without it. not having the audio going into my ear is like going to the flight line with your zipper down..

Having Telemetry does provide interesting feedback too. I am constantly amazed at the speed differences that I see BETWEEN different planes as they go through similar maneuvers. And, Buschbarber, you are spot on WRT electrics, where I monitor the temp of the ESC by wrapping the sensor around my 60 amp'er in the aerobatic models. In hover, the temp climbs pretty quickly to 110 degrees at which point I drop the nose and let things cool down. Only Telemetry allows me to do this. The other approach "The Smoke Test" gets expensive.

KKKKFL.
This is the first I've heard of the audio with telemetry...how does it work?
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH