HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:50 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,083 Posts
Flap System includes INDEPENDENT control of flaps and elevator.

So if you lied to your transmitter and told it you had flaps, then it would allow you to use the Flap System's elevator control to do what you want. Just leave the Flap settings 0.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:51 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
Don't understand what you mean? I was referring to planes without flaps and all my planes have Y'd ailerons.

Thank you!
You ask for something on a switch to aid in landing and gave up elevator as an example.

Use the Flap Menu to provide to Elevator compensation you are looking for and put it on a switch.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,371 Posts
Quote:
Don't understand what you mean? I was referring to planes without flaps and all my planes have Y'd ailerons.

Thank you!
"Crow" is typically a combination of flaps down and ailerons up. What I'm saying is that you can still do the ailerons up part even though you dont have flaps. The issue is that you cant have y'd ailerons because they both wont go up when they are y'd. You would have to seperate them and put one on aileron channel and the other on aux1. You would need to select dual aileron as wing type, which renames aileron channel as RAL and aux1 as LAL. Then you just use a mix tied to a switch that when activated both ailerons move up an equal amount but still act as normal ailerons as well.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Last edited by DamonH; Dec 24, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:

Thank you!
If you wanted to use spoilerons and only have L&R ailerons, then you would have to seperate aileron servos (i.e. ditch the Y). My second is on Aux ch, but depends on rx. Set your wing type to flaperon or which ever is most appropriate for your model. IIRC, you then set the % direction (+-, spoileron vs flaperons) in the Flag System in function list and can also mix in some elev there if wanted. If you can't seperate the Y (i.e. you don't have a spare ch), then not sure much you can do.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,424 Posts
How common and/or usefull is using a flaperon/elevator mix like in the various scenarios described above and do they apply to sport planes?

Thank you!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:31 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,112 Posts
Depends on the plane and how big the ailerons are. Small ailerons are the very wing tip generally do not benefit from Flaperons.

You can always try and start with some % used and try it a couple mistakes high and see if you like what the plane is doing.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:39 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
How common and/or usefull is using a flaperon/elevator mix like in the various scenarios described above and do they apply to sport planes?

Thank you!
I tried it my epp reno racer as it comes in fairly hot. Just to play and see how it worked on my dx8 and how it felt on the plane. Spoilerons seemed to work pretty good and still seemed to have good roll authority. Did not get a chance yet to aggressively test different % (maybe 25%). Be conservative at first and experiment. Not sure I would try it on my PZ Corsair as would be affraid of resulting crash. Think some like it on their pz T-28, but have not tried that yet either on mine. Have fun.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:46 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
... Not sure I would try it on my PZ Corsair as would be affraid of resulting crash. ...
That's the plane I "was" using Flaperons, in the end I found myself belly landing more & more without the use of flaperon.

I can get it to come in slow enough and almost land exactly where I want to.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:04 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
That's the plane I "was" using Flaperons, in the end I found myself belly landing more & more without the use of flaperon.

I can get it to come in slow enough and almost land exactly where I want to.
Corsair has a tip stall at slow speed. Did not the flaperons exagerate that tendancy?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:11 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,112 Posts
I was using low % of flaperons, in the end it was programmed it if I wanted to show delayed flaps/flaperon programming on the radio but found I was not using that feature anymore.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
Corsair has a tip stall at slow speed. Did not the flaperons exagerate that tendancy?
"Normally" flaperons are not good when ailerons extend to wing tips.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:24 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
"Normally" flaperons are not good when ailerons extend to wing tips.
Yep that's what I said earlier
Quote:
Depends on the plane and how big the ailerons are. Small ailerons are the very wing tip generally do not benefit from Flaperons.

You can always try and start with some % used and try it a couple mistakes high and see if you like what the plane is doing.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,371 Posts
Quote:
Yep that's what I said earlier
Ahhhhhhhh....lol. I missed that!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:41 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,083 Posts
If you reflex the ailerons upward, you can (need to) hold a higher angle of attack. It will help you come down (vertically) faster at lower forward airspeed. You'll need lots of elevator.

Try it sometime - start high, though!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,112 Posts
I will thanks for the advice, it will help when I come down from 1530+ft using my Spektrum radio gear. LOL little promo..
No Flaperons or Reflex use for landing.
Happy Holidays everyone.