Mr Big Head is offline Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:33 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Need more help...

I worked several hours to try to get six (6) discrete PWM values on the gear channel for Quadcopter flight mode selection. I’m running an Ardupilot Mega 2.5 APM and controlling with my DX8.

I want to use the 3-position flap switch in conjunction with the 2-position gear switch to accomplish this. I’m using only one mix: AUX1->GEAR and have tried several rate % and offset values. I just wish someone could advise me the best solution as this trial and error is getting painful.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated…

Piper J3
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Last edited by Piper J3; Dec 21, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,484 Posts
I don't like the squared off stick ends on my DX8, is there a way to replace them with round ones?

Thank you.
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:12 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
Yep, look for stick you like that fit futaba. I know weird uh.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Yep, look for stick you like that fit futaba. I know weird uh.
Do all Futaba fit? Can anyone comment on their experience with the Futaba & after market sticks, which ones do you like?

Thank you!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Last edited by itsme2; Dec 21, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:40 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
Is this it?
That's it.

When you have Flaperon enabled, it is mixing another operation into the ailerons. If you have the flaps on a switch (usually the Flap switch) then it will affect the position of both ailerons.

Change to Dual Aileron or leave Flap System set to Inhibit. This will keep your ailerons from changing position.

The sub trim values should be set to 0 (or at least much closer to 0) and mechanically adjusted to level the ailerons and rudder.

It sounds like you have your problem licked. This info is just for somebody else to find then.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
Do all Futaba fit? Can anyone comment on their experience with the Futaba & after market sticks, which ones do you like?

Thank you!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_TX_Red_.html

I like them very much. Very sharp, your thumb stays there where it should. But I like the ones on the DX18 more. They are perfect.
The ones from HK are also available in long flavour. For pinchers.
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Andy -

Can you comment on my post #20372?

Like to know if I'm on the right track...
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:58 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,215 Posts
You can't do it with flight modes.

I just assigned the FM switch to AX3 and Gear to GER, and then one mix of GER > AX3 with the switch selected = On.

You put a rate into only 1 side of the mix (I used the positive side). This offsets the output value by that amount when you flip the Gear switch.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Andy - Thanks for fast reply.

It's always something Gilda...
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:44 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Andy - Thanks for fast reply.

It's always something Gilda...
Check here, it explains how to handle it:
http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/sp...ource=activity

Quote:
If you want 6 flights mode with Gear and Flightmode 1,2 switch with only using one channel (CH5) the following can be done with dx8 and maybe DX7:
Go to servo set up, set Gear to 85% and 65% in travel
Go to mixing:
Select Mix 1
Select GER >GER Set rate: to -31% and -23% ( these are the rates for gear sw pos '0' and Flight mode 1 and gear sw pos '1' and Flight mode 1)
Leave Offset at 0 %
leave Trim: set to Inh.
Set Sw to FM 1

Go to Mix 2
Select GER >GER Set rate: to -100% and -76% ( these are the rates for gear sw pos '0' and Flight mode 2 and gear sw pos '1' and Flight mode 2)
Leave Offset at 0 %
leave Trim: set to Inh.
Set Sw to FM 2
Then to check go into mission planner(APM setup), connect the arducopter and the radio then choose modes in the apm setup
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:58 PM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
flitelab - I will be sure to try this first thing tomorrow morning. Thank you for the detailed step-by-step instructions.

Piper J3

Got to thinking more about this. I love how RCG fraternity works. I ask for help on a problem that I’m stumped on, and the very same day, someone 943 miles away from me in a neighboring country provides a detailed answer that rivals a mathematical proof. Didn’t ask for money or fame - just helping someone with similar interests in life.

To contrast this, the contempt held by the US Legislative and Executive branches of government make me want to puke.
Last edited by Piper J3; Dec 21, 2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: added some additional thoughts...
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
That's it.

When you have Flaperon enabled, it is mixing another operation into the ailerons. If you have the flaps on a switch (usually the Flap switch) then it will affect the position of both ailerons.

Change to Dual Aileron or leave Flap System set to Inhibit. This will keep your ailerons from changing position.

The sub trim values should be set to 0 (or at least much closer to 0) and mechanically adjusted to level the ailerons and rudder.

It sounds like you have your problem licked. This info is just for somebody else to find then.

Andy
Andy I haven't figured anything out. The ailerons went down on there own. I have all my planes setup for flaperons. The flaperons on the 60 inch plane were set to zero so no matter where I moved the 3 position switch there was no movement. I don't have an issue with how the flaperons work. It is like this. You land your plane that was previously trimmed out with the ailerons level and you look and see them both to be down an equal amount just like they would be if flaperons were setup. The thing is they were set to zero. So moving the flap switch through the 3 positions did nothing. I had to bring them up to level with subtrim. Once would be ok but to have it happen twice on this plane and once on another is worrying me a wee bit. Something is amiss here. They were set to level mechanically when the plane was built. I am over the top anal about setup. I am lost here.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
Andy I haven't figured anything out. The ailerons went down on there own. I have all my planes setup for flaperons. The flaperons on the 60 inch plane were set to zero so no matter where I moved the 3 position switch there was no movement. I don't have an issue with how the flaperons work. It is like this. You land your plane that was previously trimmed out with the ailerons level and you look and see them both to be down an equal amount just like they would be if flaperons were setup. The thing is they were set to zero. So moving the flap switch through the 3 positions did nothing. I had to bring them up to level with subtrim. Once would be ok but to have it happen twice on this plane and once on another is worrying me a wee bit. Something is amiss here. They were set to level mechanically when the plane was built. I am over the top anal about setup. I am lost here.
Why are you using the Flapperon Mix if you are not intending to use the Ailerons as Flaps?

With early computer radios, the Flapperon Mix was an easy way to achieve Dual Ailerons, but now, with the DX8, you can do that with the Wing Type of Dual Ailerons.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
Why are you using the Flapperon Mix if you are not intending to use the Ailerons as Flaps?

With early computer radios, the Flapperon Mix was an easy way to achieve Dual Ailerons, but now, with the DX8, you can do that with the Wing Type of Dual Ailerons.
I did not know that. But to be honest I like to experiment with the flaperons for tumbles and things. I just do not get how they would move on there own. I have over 30 planes setup this way and these are the first 2 I have had an issue with.