SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
It didn't work. Still shows 202. I was careful not to change the file name. I downloaded it directly to the card. I downloaded it to the desktop. I dragged and dropped it into the sd card. Then I tried DX's idea. Before I tried something different I deleted the sd card first to make I was starting fresh each attempt. Is it possible the transmitter is changing the SD card's content instead of the card uploading its content to the transmitter?
quietfly is offline Find More Posts by quietfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:42 PM
AMA 42272, from the 1970's
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Oct 2007
554 Posts
You are trying to download it into a radio you registered on Spektrums web site?? It is Serial Number specific to the radio that was registered by Serial number. I tried to update a friends radio using the file I downloaded for my radio and it did not work. As stated from the Spektrum web site:

Note: All software files are unique to the serial number registered online and will only work with the matching transmitter. Using an SAX file created from a different account or serial number will fail.
DXStickman is offline Find More Posts by DXStickman
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:50 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,619 Posts
Sounds like they gave you all the obvious first attempts already, so I'll cover the more draconian approach.

Format your SD card. Make sure it says it was successful when done. If not, get a new card.

Drag the file to the SD card. Right-click and select "Eject" on the card icon.

Turn on the transmitter while holding down the roller. This will boot you into System Mode. Scroll down to the SD menu at the bottom.

NOW put the card in. Select the option "Firmware Update" and click the roller. Select the file you just downloaded and click.

If the radio doesn't show the scroll bar, use a new card and repeat the instructions above.

When the radio finishes updating, it will boot and your new version should be 2.06.

One thing that I think threw everybody off here was that the file was being renamed SPMTX202.SAX. It was doing that because the main application saw a file named SPMTX.SAX and assumed it is the file that made it the current version (which was still 2.02) so it renamed it to match that. When this happens, it usually means there's something about the card that the bootloader doesn't like. Format the card and/or try a new card are the way to address it.

If that doesn't take care of it for you, it could be that there's a hardware problem in the SD interface that will need to be fixed by our Service guys.

Let us know how it goes!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
I checked my serial number several times. I registered it today. Maybe, just maybe tomorrow it will work? Maybe wait a day after registering before updating?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
Thanks Andy.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:54 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,619 Posts
No need to wait. If it registered, it's good to download.

The problem is most likely not with the web stuff. It's in the tx or the SD card.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
How do I format?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

One thing that I think threw everybody off here was that the file was being renamed SPMTX202.SAX. It was doing that because the main application saw a file named SPMTX.SAX and assumed it is the file that made it the current version (which was still 2.02) so it renamed it to match that. .

Andy
This is exactly what it's doing
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietfly View Post
How do I format?
If you have an SD icon on your desktop, right-click and select "Format."

If you open my My Computer, you should see the SD card somewhere on the list Right-click and select "Format"

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
Alright, I formatted the card, dragged the spmtx .sax file back onto it, followed your instructions and it still reads 202. No scroll bar initiates. I don't have any SD cards laying around, so I'll have to buy one tomorrow.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:30 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,619 Posts
OK, sounds like it really is the card then.

You can use any SD card. We have tested with everything from a small MMC up to a 32g SDHC. Mini and Micro SD cards (with adapters) work too.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietfly View Post
No, firefox only has a save function. I went to IE and that allowed me to save directly to the card. I did that, but still no update, automatic or manual. On a manual update, after I select the spmtx.sax it just goes back to the home screen. Then I check the version under system settings on the bottom right and it reads 202. Thanks for your help. Would it be ok to just use the transmitter as is? without updating?
I have been using Firefox for years. If you go up to the Menu Bar, in the upper left corner, Left Click on Tools and then Left Click on Options and then General, you will see the settings for Downloads. Left Click on the Radio Box (small circle) next to "Always ask me where to save file". Whenever you download a file from the Internet, using Firefox, it will always ask you "Where do you want to save the file".
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:53 AM
Malaysia, Perak, Taiping
Joined Jan 2012
241 Posts
Thank Andy for your help.....done
keris is offline Find More Posts by keris
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
Success. I inserted a new SD card and the transmitter updated to 206. Thanks guys for the help. Nice radio by the way. Now... how do I get the throttle from smooth to ratcheted?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,619 Posts
Page 40 or so in the manual.

Andy
Site Sponsor