HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:48 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,383 Posts
Lol @ 7.8 Franco.Your probably still only using 1/4 to 1/3 of its capacity.I generally try to let mine go to at least 7.3 before I charge.I kind of lose track of how much ontime the radio has between charges but its safe to say I probably use it for 24+ hours before I charge it.It will likely go 30+ from what Ive seen.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
I just bought a DX8 with factory version 202. Following the instructions on SpektrumRC website I loaded the new 206 version firmware onto the the SD card then inserted the card back into the transmitter. The transmitter powers up normally, but nothing else happens and where I expected to see a progress bar indicating the firmware updating, there was none. I then checked the firmware version on the transmitter and it still reads 202. What am I doing wrong?
quietfly is offline Find More Posts by quietfly
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:25 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,319 Posts
Check, double & triple check to ensure the SPMTX.SAX is not in a folder and or hasn't be change to something else. It's important to leave the file as is.

You can always do the udate manually.

Enter the System Setup (powering radio while holding the roller button)
Scroll to Transfer SD Card
Highlight Options: Select Option, click and scroll to Update Firmware.
Then manual select the file on the SD Card.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Check, double & triple check to ensure the SPMTX.SAX is not in a folder and or hasn't be change to something else. It's important to leave the file as is.

You can always do the udate manually.

Enter the System Setup (powering radio while holding the roller button)
Scroll to Transfer SD Card
Highlight Options: Select Option, click and scroll to Update Firmware.
Then manual select the file on the SD Card.
When I go to see what's on the card it still reads 202, shouldn't it read 206? I downloaded the file to my desktop without changing anything, then I dragged it to the SD card, inserted that to the transmitter, but it looks like something along the way changes it back to 202 from 206.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:38 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,319 Posts
No.

The file you download will ALWAYS be SPMTX.SAX but once you have updated the radio the radio renames the file so that for future Powering On the radio doesn't look at the update file for nothing. To save on power up time.

Technicaly what you should have is 202 and SPMTX.SAX, once you update you will then have 202 & 206

Deleted or erase the SD Card and re-download the SPMTX.SAX onto the SD Card. you can check to confirm it's there and insert in the radio and power On the radio, the update are automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpektrumCommunity
Software Update Instructions:
1.Download the file SPMTX.SAX by clicking the "Download" button.
2.Save or copy the file from the PC to the SD card. Note: do not change the SPMTX.SAX filename or file will not auto load in Tx.3.Power up the Tx with the SD card installed.
4.You should see the Spektrum logo on the main screen and a progress bar while the new software loads.
5.Verify the new version number in the System Settings, Serial Number screen in the lower right corner.
Note: All software files are unique to the serial number registered online and will only work with the matching transmitter. Using an SAX file created from a different account or serial number will fail.
Last edited by freechip; Dec 10, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
Look
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
I'll delete what's on the sd card and start over. Nothing of what I described above is incorrect. Right?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
Here's what's on my desktop, exactly how it downloaded from the website. I also check that my serial number was correct.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:00 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,319 Posts
Don't know why you are not just downloading it directly on the SD Card but anyways just make sure when you move/copy it over that you are not creating a shortcut to it.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
How do I download directly to card? Firefox only lets me save it.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:10 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,319 Posts
You can't Save As and then select the SD Card drive location?
Not familiar with FireFox but right now your issue to me sounds like a User Related one.

You can do it from the desktop, just saying make sure it does get changed when you do it.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
No, firefox only has a save function. I went to IE and that allowed me to save directly to the card. I did that, but still no update, automatic or manual. On a manual update, after I select the spmtx.sax it just goes back to the home screen. Then I check the version under system settings on the bottom right and it reads 202. Thanks for your help. Would it be ok to just use the transmitter as is? without updating?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:20 PM
AMA 42272, from the 1970's
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Highlight the SPMTX.SAX file on your Desktop, right click it, select Send To and select your SD card. Open the SD card in Windows Explorer and verify the file is there, then insert the card in your radio and power up.

I only use Firefox and have never had a problem similar to yours. If you go to Tools at the top of the page, then go down to Options. Look under the General tab and you can select where you want your downloads to go. I send mine to the Download file instead of the Desktop, but Desktop will work.
DXStickman is offline Find More Posts by DXStickman
Last edited by DXStickman; Dec 10, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
I'll try that.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:27 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,319 Posts
Got a feeling a phone to HH or PM to Andykunz might be in order.