HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
According to this Spektrum table (DSMX Insert), AR8000 supports both DSMX and DSM2.

Why does the the Tx have the Frame Rate Menu option to support DSMX or DSM2? Or does that option mean DSM2 only? Why doesn't it just accomodate the type it's binding with?

Barry
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:30 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts
Helps a lot, thank you both.
Am I correct in also stating that the AR8000 will NOT function without the satellite?
GBRellic is offline Find More Posts by GBRellic
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:34 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRellic View Post
Helps a lot, thank you both.
Am I correct in also stating that the AR8000 will NOT function without the satellite?
The remote receiver is mandatory, yes.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:36 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2020 View Post
Why does the the Tx have the Frame Rate Menu option to support DSMX or DSM2? Or does that option mean DSM2 only? Why doesn't it just accomodate the type it's binding with?

Barry
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post17524191

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post18822668

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post18850343

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post21919464

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
So, the Frame Rate Menu is confusing on the DX8.

What the "DSMX" option means is "DXMX or DSM2", while the "DSM2" option means "DSM2 only".
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:53 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,054 Posts
And as noted in those threads above, Frame Rate is symmetrical with DSM2/DSMX.

If you set it to 11ms, then in practice it means "Allow 11ms if the rx can do it" or "Force 22ms because my servos need it."

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:03 AM
Schweiz, BE, Uttigen
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
Usage in cold temperatures

Hi, yesterday i went to the field at low outside temps little above 0 Celsius (32Fahrenheit)
I took my heli out of the warm car, pluged in the battery and did a 12 Min flight.
Then i changed the battery and the rx (AR8000) did not initialize.
Back home inside i tried again and it worked as usual. So i guess it has something to do with the cold outside temperature.

Today tried again outside...no luck!

Is there a temperature sensor inside the RX who avoids flying in cold temperatures?
swashplates is offline Find More Posts by swashplates
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swashplates View Post
Hi, yesterday i went to the field at low outside temps little above 0 Celsius (32Fahrenheit)
I took my heli out of the warm car, pluged in the battery and did a 12 Min flight.
Back home inside i tried again and it worked as usual. So i guess it has something to do with the cold outside temperature.

Is there a temperature sensor inside the RX who avoids flying in cold temperatures?
I fly in temps colder than that and the AR8000 works fine. Perhaps you can try another Rx.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:14 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,992 Posts
May NOT be the RX- cold batts don't work -and sometimes connectivity is affected which is a very bad problem and should be carefully checked -looking, tugging, pushing, pulling, all the connections
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:26 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swashplates View Post

Do you use a FBL system ? It is a good idea to let the heli cool down to ambient temperature. Of course not the battery.
But there is nothing that prevents the RX from working at low temperatures. Only your fingers
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:25 AM
Schweiz, BE, Uttigen
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
Yes i have a MICROBEAST. But i thought when the BeastX is initalised it confirms it with a short up/ down with the Swashplate and it did. So i think it must be the RX because whatever it do on the TX, there is no reaction on the Heli. (Landing light etc.)
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:06 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,608 Posts
Do the lights on the RXs go on ?
Maybe you have the radio too close to the RX ? Try it with 3m+ distance. If the radio is too close, the RX circuitry can be overdriven by the strong signal.

Btw, with a Microbeast you can have some temperature-related drift, if you have too much temperature change after initialization. But this has nothing to do with your RX problem. Do you have the latest Airware installed in your, well, which radio do you have ? DX8 ?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:34 AM
Schweiz, BE, Uttigen
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
Hi, thanks for the answers

the rx lights are off. I will try that with the distance but why did it work when its warmer. Does the temperature infuluence the radio transmission efficiency?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:15 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,608 Posts
Spooky. No, RF is usually not influenced by the temperature (at least not +-20C). Also, the radio works internally with 3.3V, so this can also be no issue. Maybe you have another RX to crosscheck this beaviour.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:41 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,333 Posts
Some time ago I posted this as part of a larger rambling post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Some rambling thoughts on telemetry...

At the field I always power the tx off between flights. Before a flight I power the tx up, then plug in the flight pack. I never ever have a problem with the receiver not connecting. However about 1/3 of the time the tx doesn't seem to end up seeing the telemetry. Irritating, but since telemetry is not that important to me I usually don't notice until after the flight if at all, and it doesn't bother me much. However it is clear that this is a problem that would need to be solved if I was actually going to rely on telemetry for anything.
I believe I've solved the telemetry not connecting problem by making sure the transmitter is farther away before plugging in the flight pack. I have the telemetry antenna going out a hole in the bottom of the fuse and tapped to the bottom running aft. At our club field we have pretty standard starting tables. My habit has been to put the tx on the side of the table behind the wing - easy to see when putting in the battery, etc. I'm guessing that's just a little too close to the telemetry antenna on bottom of the plane. I've found that if I put the tx behind the plane with the antenna oriented at right angles to the telemetry antenna it connects to the telemetry every time. Behind the plane with the antenna parallel to the telemetry antenna mostly but not always connects.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen