HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Apr 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Information, please.....
I would like to post the link to the you tube video showing the receiver and sat in action, but I am a bit worried about moderation. The chap who posted it though is very thorough and knows his stuff.
My suggestion would be to try the 7 channel receiver as this does work correctly with the orange sat.
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Mar 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
I would like to post the link to the you tube video showing the receiver and sat in action, but I am a bit worried about moderation. The chap who posted it though is very thorough and knows his stuff.
My suggestion would be to try the 7 channel receiver as this does work correctly with the orange sat.
Unless the pilot is nekkid I don't know why it would be moderated. If the YouTube is a public post, even the original poster has no right to say No.
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:14 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post

?????

I am going to have to call 'shenanigans'.

In fact, I just took a brand new HK receiver with separate sat, and bound it to a new model in my Dx8, since I'm putting my Sbach together this very evening.

Interestingly, the satellite bound independently and first, with the Dx8 display acknowledging it, and only then the main receiver did it's own independent bind a second or two later, resulting in two separate LEDs on.

I think that one little observation handily dispenses with two ideas: that there is no radio actually operating in the satellite, and/or that the main receiver somehow ignores that input or otherwise does not take advantage of it.

I again invite anyone who has information that the HK receiver somehow is not enhanced by adding the satellite to provide some sort of data or links or other confirmation of that rather odd claim.

Let's please operate on facts; and not operate in the domain of unsubstantiated tarring with rumors and/or vague unsupported innuendo.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Apr 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
?????

I am going to have to call 'shenanigans'.

In fact, I just took a brand new HK receiver with separate sat, and bound it to a new model in my Dx8, since I'm putting my Sbach together this very evening.

Interestingly, the satellite bound independently and first, with the Dx8 display acknowledging it, and only then the main receiver did it's own independent bind a second or two later, resulting in two separate LEDs on.

I think that one little observation handily dispenses with two ideas: that there is no radio actually operating in the satellite, and/or that the main receiver somehow ignores that input or otherwise does not take advantage of it.

I again invite anyone who has information that the HK receiver somehow is not enhanced by adding the satellite to provide some sort of data or links or other confirmation of that rather odd claim.

Let's please operate on facts; and not operate in the domain of unsubstantiated tarring with rumors and/or vague unsupported innuendo.
Please do not accuse me of either, the advice I gave was in genuine interest, and good faith, I have no reason to tarr a product that is obviously endeared by a good few.

Test of satellite diversity function on Orange 6-channel receiver (1 min 48 sec)

Now watch this one,

Test of satellite diversity function on Orange 7-channel and 9-channel receivers (2 min 0 sec)

A bit confusing at first but food for thought don't you think. Have a look at some of his other tests and you'd have to agree he appears to know his stuff and is not really biased either way.

My own experiences at my club with these receivers have been non conclusive in that some have failed and crashed models and some are working fine. The 7 channel seems to offer better results, may be worth a look.
I use the manufacturers branded receivers with my radio, purely because I like them and to date they have not let me down, it is always your decision to use what you wish, in any way I wish you and all modellers a happy flying day
Last edited by Busher; Nov 23, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:16 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
I couldn't believe it either until I saw it, for what its worth I only use orange rx on smaller disposible models, on my good stuff I stick with spektrum for the piece of mind.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:08 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,480 Posts
Two comments:

1) I am not convinced his protocol is really testing what he thinks it's testing. Binding the sat to one freq pair and GUID, and the main receiver to a different code and pair could easily simply be an unanticipated and unaccounted for state that the design is not going to handle! For instance, I can imagine a scenario where memory of the channel pair and GUID hash is relegated to the main box, and if the satellite independently is using a different GUID hash and or pair of channels, that it is simply not going to operate correctly.

(How does he go about establishing bind on the sat without getting the same binds on the main? Whatever process he is using to do that could account for the irregularity he observes, for all I know....)

2) An additional possibility is that he simply has a single bad or defective main 6 chnl receiver, given that the claim is that his test 'passed' on the 7 and 8 chnls he had. I have no way of knowing what his intent was, or how many of these he tried his experiment out on.

At a minimum, he should do the same thing with Spectrum receivers, and then with multiple HK, and then compare outcomes. (Of course, it's possible he did this, but from the minute and a half video, without explication, it is not clear what the real intent or scope of this is.

It's certainly not enough to convince me that the satellite on a 6 chnl HK receiver is not providing the expected signal diversity when used as intended.

A far more realistic test would be to bind and initialize as usual, and then shield the antennas of the main receiver with shielding material, in order to simulate a bad signal condition, and see if the satellite then 'picks up the slack' and keeps things working until the main receiver comes back on line.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Nov 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:19 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,608 Posts
He binds both to one radio then disconnects the sat and binds the main to the other radio.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:57 AM
Sweden (Åkersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
717 Posts
Although this doesn't directly check the diversity as the previous video it do in my opinion confirm the function of the satellite receiver:
Range checking HobbyKing Orange Satellite Receiver on Orange RX Receiver. (7 min 22 sec)

Without knowing how the pair, main and satellite reviver is designed to operate as tracknoob I'm somewhat suspicious to the test done in the previous video.

/Håkan
hakank is offline Find More Posts by hakank
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:24 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
the 6 channel orange rx does not benefit from a satellite rx according to tests from others, in some cases adding a satellite made it worse! from what I read the 7 channel and up benefit from a satellite.
Then is something wrong with this 6 channel Orange RX. Maybe a non working sat port or a lame orange sat. A Spektrum Sat has a greater range as the Orange sat. Without a sat or a second activ switched antenna (AR400,AR600, AR6115, AR6255) have you a null spot and this is when the RX antenna points in TX direction.

Ground range test Spektrum vs Orange
Reichweitentest Spektrum DX7 Clone vom HK (4 min 17 sec)

Orange range vs Spektrum range
FPV with OrangeRx R710 vs Spektrum AR8000. AR8000 withDX8 goes over 3600 feet (2 min 48 sec)
Kambalunga is online now Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Last edited by Kambalunga; Nov 24, 2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:10 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakank View Post
Although this doesn't directly check the diversity as the previous video it do in my opinion confirm the function of the satellite receiver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo9UhXUvCDY

Without knowing how the pair, main and satellite reviver is designed to operate as tracknoob I'm somewhat suspicious to the test done in the previous video.

/Håkan

Some typical systematic errors a shown in this video.
First point the TX antenna straight forward to the RX.
Then shilding the experimenter both RX with his body.
No wonder that with more extension the shilding is lower or absent.
This caused then the more range.
Then is that ground range on asphalt.
Kambalunga is online now Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:47 AM
Sweden (Åkersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambalunga View Post
Some typical systematic errors a shown in this video.
First point the TX antenna straight forward to the RX.
Then shilding the experimenter both RX with his body.
No wonder that with more extension the shilding is lower or absent.
This caused then the more range.
Then is that ground range on asphalt.
My point was to show the satellite antenna indeed made a difference, which it did.
hakank is offline Find More Posts by hakank
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Apr 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
Two comments:

1) I am not convinced his protocol is really testing what he thinks it's testing. Binding the sat to one freq pair and GUID, and the main receiver to a different code and pair could easily simply be an unanticipated and unaccounted for state that the design is not going to handle! For instance, I can imagine a scenario where memory of the channel pair and GUID hash is relegated to the main box, and if the satellite independently is using a different GUID hash and or pair of channels, that it is simply not going to operate correctly.

(How does he go about establishing bind on the sat without getting the same binds on the main? Whatever process he is using to do that could account for the irregularity he observes, for all I know....)

2) An additional possibility is that he simply has a single bad or defective main 6 chnl receiver, given that the claim is that his test 'passed' on the 7 and 8 chnls he had. I have no way of knowing what his intent was, or how many of these he tried his experiment out on.

At a minimum, he should do the same thing with Spectrum receivers, and then with multiple HK, and then compare outcomes. (Of course, it's possible he did this, but from the minute and a half video, without explication, it is not clear what the real intent or scope of this is.

It's certainly not enough to convince me that the satellite on a 6 chnl HK receiver is not providing the expected signal diversity when used as intended.

A far more realistic test would be to bind and initialize as usual, and then shield the antennas of the main receiver with shielding material, in order to simulate a bad signal condition, and see if the satellite then 'picks up the slack' and keeps things working until the main receiver comes back on line.
He actually states he has tried this on multiple HK receivers, his other videos go into more details on range and reliability testing on other receivers, but as you are contesting the test methods, perhaps you have documentary evidence of your tests?
The reality of this is also irrelevant, as if you are happy flying this type of setup then carry on.

The orange receiver I saw failing had just passed a range test far in excess of 50m, a distance I was amazed at, and by the way I performed the range test.

I wholeheartedly agree the only way to find the comfort zone is to listen to opinions do your own testing then achieve your own conclusions, the only way I can dispute the claims is to make my own test which would involve purchasing a set from Hk perhaps if you have one you could do a quick test for us if you know of an efficient method of shielding a sat, I for one would be very interested in the results
In all accounts I wish you and all modellers a good days flying
Last edited by Busher; Nov 24, 2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Spell checker mistake
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:53 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,608 Posts
There is a thread for these receivers, this is a Spektrum DX8 & DX10t thread.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:16 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
Yes, it's also a thread for GENUINE Spektrum products, not clones and counterfeits. Use HK's free telephone support line if you need help with their stuff.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jun 2002
438 Posts
Just had my right stick fail under heavy set spring tension. Transmitter is just 6 months old. As an engineer I can not for the life of me understand why this part is made of plastic and not aluminum! It takes every bit of the spring load. There are lots of places in the design that plastic makes sense but this is not one of them! Nothing like flying a $1600 airframe and having your right stick go as limp as a dead fish...

Just sent an email to Horizon about a warranty repair. Time to see how good their customer service is. Although without some kind of upgraded aluminum part to hold those springs I don't see how I can ever trust this transmitter again. I was extremely happy with the DX8 up to this point. I hope they get it worked out so I don't have to switch everything over to another brand.
Reaper802 is online now Find More Posts by Reaper802