HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:11 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,142 Posts
What Spektrum should do is since the DEFAULT throttle trim is neutral, throttle cut feature should default to 30% in the first place. 30% TC setting is the setting that will prevent some systems from learning a LOWER throttle value when TC is enable on power up and then spin the motor when you toggle off TC and still have the throttle stick in the lowest position.

My brother found this out couple years ago using CC control and his another brand radio. Took us couple minutes to figure what was going on.

As for being in the way of a powered prop on the bench. Manufacturers have ALWAYS recommended removing the prop or disconnecting on motor/esc wire when working on a POWERED model.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:17 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,628 Posts
Unfortunately it's Catch22 since that would then not work for gas models where you need the throttle cut to go below wherever the trim has been set to give idle.

Sigh. You can't win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
What Spektrum should do is since the DEFAULT throttle trim is neutral, throttle cut feature should default to 30% in the first place. 30% TC setting is the setting that will prevent some systems from learning a LOWER throttle value when TC is enable on power up and then spin the motor when you toggle off TC and still have the throttle stick in the lowest position.

My brother found this out couple years ago using CC control and his another brand radio. Took us couple minutes to figure what was going on.

As for being in the way of a powered prop on the bench. Manufacturers have ALWAYS recommended removing the prop or disconnecting on motor/esc wire when working on a POWERED model.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:26 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Unfortunately it's Catch22 since that would then not work for gas models where you need the throttle cut to go below wherever the trim has been set to give idle. Sigh. You can't win.
My comment is based on having DEFAULT values.
Sure gasser would need to make the change from 100% to 130%.
Us E-flyers already need to make this change from 130% to 100%.

But lets consider the following, the gasser TC set to 100% instead of 130% means what? It means his motor won't stop. But what does it mean to E-flyers? It means you could potentialy have a motor/prop spin when you toggle TC off.

It would appear from a safety point of view that having the default value for TC be 100% makes safety sense for many flyers and means gasser need to make a small adjustment.

But already knowing how TC works and knowing all my E-models, I have a couple that could potentialy be affected with TC default to 130% but I have change this feature on the esc from auto learn throttle curve on startup to preset throttle curve. In other words the esc throttle curve was programmed once and does not learn the throttle position on start up..
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:15 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,004 Posts
I have a throttle cut setup on most of my planes but on the Zero if I throttle up a bit and come back down during a taxi or if she noses over for example, when I go to throttle back up again it wont spin up. I have to hit the throttle cut switch to off and then back on. Kinda like a reset.

I have rebound, reset the esc timing and brake and ....

Any ideas on this one. Been happening for awhile.
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:20 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,004 Posts
Was there a calibration fix that wasn't disclosed on the battery fuel gauge display vs the voltage number currently being read ?

Mine never seemed to be accurate in relation to each other but I did a quick charge last night before flying this am and after an hour or two I unplugged it. Turned it on and got a reading of 5.5 which I have never got before and the battery fuel gauge icon was full up to the right which I have never seen before on my radio.
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:24 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
Was there a calibration fix that wasn't disclosed on the battery fuel gauge display vs the voltage number currently being read ?
The only changes are those listed in the PDF.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:18 AM
Malaysia, Perak, Taiping
Joined Jan 2012
241 Posts
Today my friend to see me and he said got problem with sat wire when he shake the wire light on sat go off to solve this problem he put some silicone on sat connector.....
keris is offline Find More Posts by keris
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:43 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,201 Posts
That's kind of excessive, but it works.

On mine I just put a little tool dip. "Just a dab'll do." (Without using Google, who remembers where that comes from?)

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:46 AM
Sweden (┼kersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
701 Posts
I vote for an adjustable vibrator if there is an RFE list somewhere..
hakank is offline Find More Posts by hakank
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:48 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
That's kind of excessive, but it works.

On mine I just put a little tool dip. "Just a dab'll do." (Without using Google, who remembers where that comes from?)

Andy
Something regarding hair product - I am getting old.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:59 AM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts
Me too

"a little dab will do ya"

Brylcreem TV Commercial 1950's (1 min 0 sec)

Couldn't resist attaching the commercial.

Brian T.
GBRellic is offline Find More Posts by GBRellic
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:33 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
SD Card inserted = Flash, Flash, Pause, Flash, Pause, ON
No SD Card = Flash, Pause, Flash, Pause, ON

Anybody know morse code?
I'm no expert on the DX8 but I would say if its making normal noises and wiggling the sticks gives you the desired results then your ok. But at any time you hear the Tx say "HUH?!?!" Its time to set the Tx down and go watch football on TV...
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:35 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
My friend just got a DX8, and he's been unable to update from 2.02 to 2.06. We've tried multiple SD cards, and multiple downloads from Spektrum. We've also taken care to eject the disk from the computer after copying it. When we power up the radio with the card installed, we see the update screen with the progress bar, but it just flashes on and off, and nothing actually updates.

I should note that I was using the update file that I had downloaded for my DX8 to try and update my friend's radio (he hasn't registered yet). Is it possible that the update files are actually keyed to each individual radio?

UPDATE: We realized that the update is indeed encoded to each individual radio. Once my friend registered his radio and downloaded the file, it worked!
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Last edited by bjaffee; Oct 06, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:18 AM
AMA 42272, from the 1970's
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Oct 2007
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
"Just a dab'll do." (Without using Google, who remembers where that comes from?)
Andy
I do, I do!!

Or "You'll Wonder Where the yellow Went When you"..........

Or "Helps Build Strong Bodies Eight Ways".........

Or "Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz".........
DXStickman is offline Find More Posts by DXStickman
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:19 AM
StevieT.
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Apr 2011
368 Posts
Since getting back my DX-8 from HH for the notorious gimbal bulletin, I've lost two airplanes to unexplained causes. I've been flying for 2 years now and I have never crashed a plane before. I own(ed) 7 planes, ranging from 33-inch foamies to my (late) 1.4m B-25 bomber.

Yesterday, I was flying my 48" 3DHS Extra 300 about 12 feet above the field, around 1/2 half throttle. Suddenly the plane decided down elevator would be a good idea, and it nosed straight into the ground! I looked at telemetry, and it showed F:3, H:0, which seems normal.

The elevator servo was working fine, even *after* the crash. Unlike the crash with my B-25 bomber, this plane has quality Hyperion digital servos ($30 each) and a name brand ESC. Also, I enabled low-voltage Rx voltage telemetry warning, so that wasn't the issue.

This was about my 5th or 7th flight with this plane since my Tx was serviced. The bomber crashed on the first flight. Both planes were using AR8000 receivers with satellites and telemetry modules.

It seems like whatever was done to my Tx has cost me $400 in airframes. Either the gimbal repair/replacement has even worse issues than before, or HH decided to update some firmware somewhere in the radio that is causing confusion for the AR8000. In the same time period, the only other plane I've flown is a 39" foamy with an Orange RX, for around 12 flights with no apparent problems yet.

It doesn't sound like lost signals were the cause, and it seems unlikely that both planes had servos go bad at the same time.

I'm really frustrated and don't know what to do. I finally have complete confidence in my flying skills to start buying expensive/quality balsa planes, and now I'm finding out that my $400 transmitter is the weakest link.
Randino is offline Find More Posts by Randino