HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:45 AM
AMA 42272, from the 1970's
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Oct 2007
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Crap! I don't believe it! The right stick on my Dx8 has lost tension on the elevator and it won't return to center.
This is the second report in a week about a broken pin on the gimbal and it's a bit disconcerting. How old is your radio? Has it been exposed to excessive heat or cold? Any idea what caused the plastic to break?

I sent my old DX-7 to HH for a problem when it was 4 years old. It was repaired and returned to me at no charge, so I am sure HH will take care of you. That was the main reason I bought a DX-8....good service will always make a difference when it comes to decisions on buying new products.
DXStickman is offline Find More Posts by DXStickman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:02 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
I know there are others out there that use a "y" connector on the Bind/data port, especially for Telemetry set ups. USUALLY, the insertion of the bind plug on one of the "Y" legs causes the TM1K and the receiver to start blinking when power is applied. One just proceeds with the bind process. I said usually, because in the last couple days, I was upgrading a plane to use the TM1K, the radio in the plane was an older AR6200 w/sat rx. For some reason putting the bind plug in the "Y" did not put the TM1K into bind. I tried several times with no luck. Finally, I had to resort to the stylus in the side of the TM1K while fumbling with the stubborn Anderson power connector. I got it all bound and it is working but I am wondering why the "Y" did not work?

Has anyone else experienced this?

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:05 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,842 Posts
Data cable to tm unit problems???
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:05 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,498 Posts
To use a Y with the AR6200, you need to disconnect the yellow lead going to the TM1000.

Is it possible you got the Y reversed?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:12 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
Anything is possible considering my poor eyesight, but I think it was plugged in correctly since it worked when I used the stylus, and I haven't changed anything in the wiring, but currently have the TM1K working just fine. If its plugged in backwards, I've discovered a better way to have Telemetry, cuz I get good altitude, good speed (using a soda straw over the Pitot and puffing on the straw), I get excellent RPM (using the Optical pickup) Color codes and connector changes notwithstanding, and good voltage, both Rx and Flitepak...

I am wondering if I should stick with the DSM2 AR6200 or go to a newer Receiver for the DSMX capability, but I'm not doing contest work with this plane, so I'm reluctant to go through the hassle.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:41 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,498 Posts
The difference between those two receivers is that the AR6210 will give you flight log data (fades/frames/holds) and the other won't.

Otherwise they're the same. Except for DSMX of course.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:23 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,417 Posts
DX8 makes a noise once in a while...

Maybe it’s me, but on several occasions my DX8 has made a sound like a “Glunk”. I think it is the vibration motor making a very short pulse. I fly with telemetry warnings, but this doesn’t seem to be related to any events I’m monitoring. Seems like it happens when landing my 3 meter sailplane and I’m a couple hundred feet above the ground. I don’t have altitude warnings enabled. Any thoughts?
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,475 Posts
Only a quick vibe? No tone with it? Which one of your telemetry alarms fits that profile? Vibe only.
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:53 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Crap! I don't believe it! The right stick on my Dx8 has lost tension on the elevator and it won't return to center... removed the back cover and notice a small pin tumbling out.
BTW, without giving away people's info, I got unsolicited PMs from others who also had same problem, so the fact it hasn't perhaps been mentioned here a lot does not mean it is not happening in the field a lot. My intuition (and that's all it is!) is that this ranks pretty high on the list of things that go wrong with the DX8 -- if for no other reason than it's otherwise such a good and a reliable radio! Despite my own few (but relatively vocal) complaints, I really do love mine, and I often let new club members know that this is a terrific radio to use for our type of flying (park sized electrics at a local country park)

Thanks also to Spektrum for rushing out latest version of SW -- I had no problem with 2.05, but clearly a lot of people were confused, so the help automating the trim changeover process was obviously a very good idea.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:55 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Maybe itís me, but on several occasions my DX8 has made a sound like a ďGlunkĒ. I think it is the vibration motor making a very short pulse. I fly with telemetry warnings, but this doesnít seem to be related to any events Iím monitoring. Seems like it happens when landing my 3 meter sailplane and Iím a couple hundred feet above the ground. I donít have altitude warnings enabled. Any thoughts?
If you are using throttle position to enable/disable timer, that could be it. I actually use that tone as an indicator of exactly where my throttle is set when I am on approach, sometimes toggling up and down several times right around that setting (i.e. 17%).
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
If you are using throttle position to enable/disable timer, that could be it. I actually use that tone as an indicator of exactly where my throttle is set when I am on approach, sometimes toggling up and down several times right around that setting (i.e. 17%).
No, I'm not touching the throttle (throttle at zero), and Aerocal, I don't have any of the warnings set for vib only. If it was a telemetry warning wouldn't I have to "clear" it? A real mystery... I have to pay better attention next time it happens. I enjoy flying with this radio a lot.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:06 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
If it was a telemetry warning wouldn't I have to "clear" it?
No. If the condition goes away on its own, so does the alarm.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:07 PM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
No. If the condition goes away on its own, so does the alarm.

Andy
Andy - you're back from lunch....
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:01 PM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,179 Posts
It might be related to the timer. At the 1 min mark you get some kind of short vibration, if I remember correctly.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:13 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiprianGugu View Post
It might be related to the timer. At the 1 min mark you get some kind of short vibration, if I remember correctly.
Yes.If you have the timer alert set for it.
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal