HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressred View Post
I think this is called "sticktion" and while it never really bothered me on planes i found it really frustrating while trying to land a heli. Silicone grease worked for a while but it always came back. What I did to cure it was to rotate the dual spring strip 180 degrees so the ratchet strip is pressing on the smooth surface of the gimbal, you also have to swap locations of the 2 long and 2 short retaining screws, it gives it a much smaller contact area.
Smear on a small amount of servo grease et voila smooth as a babies bum,
don't forget to tension it before putting Tx back together as you can no longer adjust it through the access hole
Yes, it is called sticktion... I called it stickyness because I wasn't sure of the correct spelling for "sticktion"

I opened my radio and looked at the throttle gimbal mechanism. Your idea of using the ratchet side instead of the smooth side seemed logical but I did it slightly differently.

First, I simply moved the entire ratchet spring stamping one hole over, so the detent portion was on the smooth surface and the smooth portion was hanging in mid air. It worked OK but would not let me switch from smooth to ratchet without opening the radio. In the end, I re-bent the smooth portion to emulate the detent portion. Because I was just using a pair of needle nose pliers, the bend radius is somewhat larger than the factory version. I then mounted it in the normal position. Works great and the ratchet and smooth functions can still be adjusted without opening the radio.

Sorry Spektrum, but I still feel that having to peel back single use double sided tape to open the radio is just..... lame

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:41 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,095 Posts
Paul
If your careful and dont contaminate the the stickum on the grips with dust bunnies,fingertips or dirt it actually holds up for quite a few cycles.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Oct 2000
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Paul
If your careful and dont contaminate the the stickum on the grips with dust bunnies,fingertips or dirt it actually holds up for quite a few cycles.
Yeah, so far it is relatively OK after two cycles. And I do have some carpet tape that can probably sub for the factory tape if needed. Still think its lame, though

Paul
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:36 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,640 Posts
Mine's been apart at least 8 times and the original tape is fine. The rubber pins do the location and hold the edges, the tape is really only to stop it sliding around.

It's a perfectly sensible solution IMO for the purpose since most folks will only ever open the Tx once, if at all. It's hard to think of a better way to securely mount rubber as though it was permanent but still allow the occasional disassembly. And it is dead easy to replace with the thin double sided tape that craft stores sell for scrapbooking. I wouldn't use carpet tape. It's too thick and very hard to take off again.

Just my 2c worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Yeah, so far it is relatively OK after two cycles. And I do have some carpet tape that can probably sub for the factory tape if needed. Still think its lame, though

Paul
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Oct 2000
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
It's a perfectly sensible solution IMO for the purpose since most folks will only ever open the Tx once, if at all. It's hard to think of a better way to securely mount rubber as though it was permanent but still allow the occasional disassembly.
Agreed that it is a reasonable solution to holding the rubber in place. And I do like the rubber grips.

The actual poor design IMO is having the tape-secured rubber wrap over the parting line for the case halves AND obscure the screw holes so that it has to be peeled off to open the case. You will note that in the manual, there is no mention of tape and it is not shown in the photos. As if it was a last minute addition. A far better solution would be to glue the rubber on (or use tape), but change the molds so that the rubber broke at the case parting line and included access holes for the two hidden case screws.

But no point in debating it. It just offends my sense of design and bugs me on the rare occasion when I need to open the case. Unless the sticktion returns, this may be the last time I need to.

Interestingly, I notice in some of the photos in the manual that the outer portion of the friction straps has the same "detent" bend detail as the inner portion. In my transmitter, the outer portion of both friction straps is smooth, making stiction an issue. Just an interesting observation.

Paul
Last edited by pgoelz; Sep 20, 2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:29 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
You will note that in the manual, there is no mention of tape and it is not shown in the photos.
There's actually a far less-sinister, more-accurate explanation for that.

The documentation folks got an early radio that intentionally didn't have tape on it. This was so they'd be able to quickly open it for photographs, do their thing on the inside, use it for making screen shots, then open it again to re-shoot photos, etc.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Oct 2000
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
There's actually a far less-sinister, more-accurate explanation for that.

The documentation folks got an early radio that intentionally didn't have tape on it. This was so they'd be able to quickly open it for photographs, do their thing on the inside, use it for making screen shots, then open it again to re-shoot photos, etc.

Andy
No sinister motives implied, I figured that was it. I was pointing it out partly because there was no mention of it in the instructions for opening the radio. It gave me pause the first time I had to open the case. I wasn't sure if I was missing something or not.

Any chance of getting a couple of the dual detent friction straps in those early radios? Those would be a major improvement over the detent/smooth ones in current radios.

Paul
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:06 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,475 Posts
You'd have to ask Service about a part like that.

Also, if you cool off the radio in the fridge for a few minutes, it helps the tape release better.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:34 PM
I can fix that!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You'd have to ask Service about a part like that.

Also, if you cool off the radio in the fridge for a few minutes, it helps the tape release better.

Andy
Great tip...thanks Andy!
doug.wagner is offline Find More Posts by doug.wagner
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:14 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
hey guys what's up.. Ive been away since forever... that's a good sign since I don't get any probs (knock on wood)
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
No problems on 2.05 for me either. Update was smooth and checking reversed servos' subtrims and endpoints was quick and simple.
Mugen4Lfe is online now Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:14 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,253 Posts
Can anyone recommend some decent replacements for the stick-ends? I've been using the Turbo Thumbs (from Hobby King) on my Futaba, and I love them...but I don't believe they made them for Spektrum (at least not for the DX8). The ones made for both Futaba and JR are way to big to thread on.

I'm specifically looking for this wide style stick end.

bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:19 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,285 Posts
DX8 uses fut style stick ends.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:01 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
DX8 uses fut style stick ends.
Same style, perhaps, but not the same size thread, unfortunately.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:16 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,475 Posts
The DX8 is compatible with Fut stick ends, the DX18 is compatible with JR stick ends.

Andy
Site Sponsor