HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:13 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
How was the motor causing loss of control?
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,741 Posts
There are a couple of theories but not a lot of test equipment or test time/desire really. (Which seems to happen a lot in RC.)
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:35 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
Now really, was it the tree's fault?
Collateral damage!
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:08 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
How was the motor causing loss of control?
Heat - the quick answer
The long answer is that the ESC (electronic speed control) board also has a small device called the BEC (battery eliminater circuit)

The BEC simply reduces voltage from input (aprox 12 volts ) down to 5 volts -which is sent to the rx and supplies rx AND servos.
the amount of power needed for the servos determines how much heat (current) must pass thru the BEC (still with me?)
IF the BEC overheats - it quits --the rx quits - the ESC (which drives the power to the motor may stay at last command and that -may be full power- so-away goes the plane under power..
The ESC also creates heat so -------------- overheating on the ESC/BEC board is a very common type failure if the unit is undersized or the servos and OR the motor load is excessive.
-The part which fools a number of fliers is that once it cools slightly - it appears to be working perfectly- so they blame the rx .
Got it?
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:57 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Good explanation.
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:30 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
Now really, was it the tree's fault?
Well I didn't fly it there so it could grab it. It HAD to have reached out and grabbed the plane.

Stupid tree didn't let go until it started to fall, then it threw it to a beautiful landing. But by then the chainsaw had gone too far to turn back.

Trees are as stubborn as rocks, I think.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Oct 2007
6,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Well I didn't fly it there so it could grab it. It HAD to have reached out and grabbed the plane.

Stupid tree didn't let go until it started to fall, then it threw it to a beautiful landing. But by then the chainsaw had gone too far to turn back.

Trees are as stubborn as rocks, I think.

Andy
And, they have a greater respect of chainsaws
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:16 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts
Bet you didn't use no lectric chain saw eh.

Brian T.
GBRellic is offline Find More Posts by GBRellic
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:59 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Well even though the DX8 can't update the radio I had a complete loss of signal as well this weekend losing a plane on the second flight after the upgrade to 2.05.

This was with the original AR8000 RX including satellite and the Telemetry module.
Is their any way to get some readable flight-log data from the SPEKTRUM.TLM file?
I did email and open it on my iPad but the graph is not really clear.
Mlameris is offline Find More Posts by Mlameris
Last edited by Mlameris; Sep 17, 2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:24 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,587 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1725173

You may try this. I don't know if flight log is implemented, but you might try it.
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:42 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
Hope this is the right place for this. I am considering buying a DX8, used - well it says NIB, but it would be from a person that officially bought it, I would buy it from him.

My question is regarding the warranty - is it still valid from the date of purchase or is it only valid for the original purchaser?

Thanks,
Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Oct 2007
6,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
Hope this is the right place for this. I am considering buying a DX8, used - well it says NIB, but it would be from a person that officially bought it, I would buy it from him.

My question is regarding the warranty - is it still valid from the date of purchase or is it only valid for the original purchaser?

Thanks,
Bob
Could be a problem or not
get verication of purchase from the seller Also all ofthese have a serial number - a series number and the latest installed firmware which can be displayed on the screen
I would want all that info FIRST before buying
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:28 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,065 Posts
My guess is if he's not an official HH retailer then it would be from when the original purchase was made.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:24 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
good info - will keep this all in mind. I have sent an email to Spektrum asking if the warranty continues if bought second hand. Will post the reply I get.

I am assuming they will honor the warranty - could make a lot of people change their minds. I would think this would have been raised as an issue before if this was not the case.
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:34 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,065 Posts
Quote:
I would think this would have been raised as an issue before if this was not the case
The problem or lack of is because HH's Service is second to none. Lost count of how many times owners post bragging about how they got amazing service all without a receipt or out of warranty product.

But at the same time you are be a good consumer by asking.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip