HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Well, luckily it happened on a $200 plane and not one of my larger more expensive planes. It was a FMS ME109 from Nitroplanes so it's got some Chinese xyz ESC. Even worse is the RX was an Orange 6 channel with remote. So I can't compare that to an AR8000. The picture is from last year when I was using a DX7.

The motor continued to run at WOT when it flew off.

I mainly use Spektrum RX's and I have upgraded all my big stuff to DSMX. I just put a AR8000 with full telemetry in a Habu32 on the bench.

So it sounds like the update is not related and just coincidence. Which is good.

Please edjumakate me on what is the difference between a brownout and loss of TX signal?
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
Did the 2.05 update have *anything* to do with RF? The reason I ask is I just lost my first plane using DSM2. This was my first flight after updating the radio.
No, the DX8 does not have the ability to update the RF.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:46 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Thanks for confirming that Andy.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,977 Posts
I obtained one of their Spitfires -from an estate giveaway - no name motor no name esc -
cute model but the motor setup /prop spinner - a bit rinky dink.
I decided on NOT using their esc/bec as I could not get specs on it

50 amp ESC setup apparantly with unidentifiable BEC. I searched Nitro Planes all the way thru-
Not for me ----
I like to have SOME idea as to what the equipment is .
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
I agree with you on the rinky dink motor mount/motor/prop setup.

The ME109 is a nice flyer for a foamie.

So based on your comments it appears that the finger is most likely pointing to the power system on the plane and not my DX8 which makes me feel better. I will be replacing the ESC and put in a Spektrum RX and go flying. Luckily the only thing hurt this time was the tree.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,952 Posts
There was a tree one time that gave its life for snatching one of my models from the sky...

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:20 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,065 Posts
Quote:
... Please edjumakate me on what is the difference between a brownout and loss of TX signal?
Brownout is a term used to indicate lost of battery power to the receiver.
DSM2 receivers or DSMX receivers operating in DSM2 mode have a Brownout Indication Feature that will flash the orange led on the receiver slower then the flash during BINDING.

Lost of TX signal would be reffered to has a HOLD and newer receivers have an HOLD Indication feature that will flash a RED LED. It will flash once then pause for one HOLD, flash twice and then pause to indicate two HOLDS.

During a HOLD the Failsafe channels will go to there programmed position.
During Brownout of lost of POWER, you're out of luck. NO POWER servos can't do much.

But on an electric plane with ESC, most esc stop when to see NO Signal from RX at least mine do.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:21 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
No, the DX8 does not have the ability to update the RF.

Andy
The reason why many DX8 went back to HH for DSMX update.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:23 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,977 Posts
Quote:
I agree with you on the rinky dink motor mount/motor/prop setup.

The ME109 is a nice flyer for a foamie.

So based on your comments it appears that the finger is most likely pointing to the power system on the plane and not my DX8 which makes me feel better. I will be replacing the ESC and put in a Spektrum RX and go flying. Luckily the only thing hurt this time was the tree.
A a suggestion only- go a size up from rcommended esc/Bec setups onth ARFS
reason being, they do these models with CO$T being a heavy influence.
A Switching BEC is a must

if this size is what you like - get a 60amp ESC with switching BEC
In watching similar setups at local fields - they get flown at full power for extended periods - this can and does cause heat and severe battery depression.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:22 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
There was a tree one time that gave its life for snatching one of my models from the sky...

Andy
Now really, was it the tree's fault?
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined May 2006
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Why would you need the timer -in this menu?
Not that I really need it. I just discovered by accident. I did a range check with the button pressed. Satisfied with the the test I let go off the button and started flying. After some time I felt the heli was loosing power. Turned out I had been flying too long but the timer had not started.

Of course I should have exited the range check menu before flying, but I didn't. Is there a clever reason why the timer does not start in this particular menu? Or is this just unintentional?
tb47 is offline Find More Posts by tb47
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:42 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post

During a HOLD the Failsafe channels will go to there programmed position.
Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but the manual seems to indicate that, if you bind using the normal process, a loss of signal will result in the control surfaces holding their last known position. To make them instead go to the preset fail safe positions don't you have to modify the bind process slightly?
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:48 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,065 Posts
Sorry YES.

Throttle will go to LOW position programmed during BIND.
Normal receivers will simply HOLD Last command/position for the rest of the channels
Receivers with Preset FAILSAFE will go to preset position programmed during BIND with different BIND steps followed

But we were previsouly talking about the fact the he mentioned WATCHING THE PLANE FLY OFF FULL THROTTLE and why I mentioned it should of went to programmed position.
I see now I said FAILSAFE CHANNELS.

Just a matter of not wording it correctly on my part.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Well, luckily it happened on a $200 plane and not one of my larger more expensive planes. It was a FMS ME109 from Nitroplanes so it's got some Chinese xyz ESC.
Last year I was having loss of control issues with a Nitroplanes model. Changed the receiver - didn't help. Changed the transmitter - didn't help.Changed the receiver again - didn't help. Changed the ESC - didn't help. Changed the motor - all issues went away and I have over a hundred of trouble-free flights on it. Sometimes the cheap planes come with more fun than you bargained for.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:09 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,447 Posts
I put a poll up about Radio brands and RF systems.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732320

If any of you are sailplane pilots flying full house sailplanes you might want to cast a vote on this survey in the sailplane forum.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr